Using new debit cards overseas

I’m been given one of the new chipped debit cards that has a six digit pin, I’m aware that atms overseas, at least in the UK, only require a four digit pin, has anybody withdrawn cash using their six digit pin?

I’m aware that you can’t use the six digit pin for purchases at a chip and pin terminal, but I assume you can sign for purchases as before.

On my old card with Kasikorn I was able to have my name embossed on the card but the bank have confirmed that the new ones can’t be embossed, so I’m stuck with the generic “privileged customer” instead of my name.

I think, just guessing, the OP was asking about being able to make PIN purchases with a Thai debit card OUTSIDE Thailand where the P:IN code machines typically only handle 4 digits.

BTW, I too had a recent SCB card renewal where they issued me a new debit card and it had to have a 6 digit PIN.

But I've never tried using my Thai cards outside of Thailand. I always figure, this place is its own little world unaffected and disconnected from the rest of the world. :sleep:

• Like 2

One of my Thai debit cards has a 6-digit PIN. The card is suitable for use when shopping both here and abroad, and also for online purchases worldwide. When they gave it to me they said that in a 4-digit machine I should just use the first four digits.
I've no idea whether it actually works though, and am very unlikely to ever use it outside of Thailand anyway.

Most European chip and pin machines only display 4 numbers, so on these its a NO Go! 

(As your card is encoded with a 6 figure number, the chip and pin machine will refuse the transaction, the encoded number MUST match what is inputted on the chip and Pin machine)

Edited by Pdavies99

7 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I cannot see how reducing a six digit PIN to the first four digits could work. Someone please enlighten me. Sounds like a typical Thai bank employee's response to a complaint!

I could very well be true.  I've seen posts over the years where people having 6 digit pin cards use just the first 4 digits in ATMs that will only accept 4 digits....and it works sometimes (not to imply it always works or even works most of the time). 

Expect it depends on which bank issued the card and if the card-issuing bank's system will approve an ATM withdrawal request from a 4-digit only pin ATM even though the card normally requires/prefers 6 digits.   Like below 2016 post regarding the Revolt card.  

And I've even see posts where ATMs that require 6 digit pins but your card is only a 4 digit pin if you add 00 as digits 5 and 6 it works.  Once again, I guess it all depends on the card issuing bank.

image.png.1d4b3ee4fa14b2a2e070d566af990771.png

Edited by Pib

On 4/6/2018 at 9:35 PM, 55Jay said:

1 of mine from a Thai bank has 6 digit PIN.  Only use for ATM, no idea about debit transactions.  Sorry.

I use my Krungsri Visa card for point of sale transactions often. Some times they ask me to sign a receipt often they don’t I have never been asked for my pin. 

I've also got a new debit card from Kasikorn with a six digit pin, I asked them yesterday if this could be used in the UK and mainland Europe, this is the response I got this morning - note the word usually!

Only time will tell if their advice is accurate. 

According to your enquiry regarding K-Debit card, we would like to inform you that, normally, K-Debit card is able to purchase goods or withdraw the cash around the world through ATM with "PLUS or VISA” sign with the PIN 4 or 6 digits as well............

Anyway, before departure, we do recommend you to kindly provide your trip with our representative at K-Contact Center Tel. +662 888 8888 select 2 for English and press 2 0, then please enter 16 digits card number followed # 24 hours, in order to avoid any problem with your transaction.

I have a new SCB debit card with 6 digit PIN. Just today I added it for use with PayPal (in addition to my Bangkok Bank direct Paypal account and used it to buy an item in eBay with the Supplier in Poland.

On 4/8/2018 at 4:12 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

I use my Krungsri Visa card for point of sale transactions often. Some times they ask me to sign a receipt often they don’t I have never been asked for my pin. 

Me too. And with my UK cards. A tad worrying.

Aren't there Thai bank ATMs that simply expect 4 digits and do not accept more/don't expect an "OK"?

I will look next week what happens with my new SCB chip debit card at other ATMs.

SCB insisted on entering a 6 digit PIN when issuing.

Bangkok Bank (also chip card) issued quite a while ago, no need for 6 digits.

I don't want to sell this a possible solution:

it's possible to change the PIN at the ATM.

What happens if you try to cut it down (downgrade security) to 4 digits?

On 4/8/2018 at 3:12 AM, Grumpy Duck said:

I expect when they don't ask you for a signature is when the purchase is below Bt1500 or Bt700 for a Visa card.   Its called a "low ticket value" purchase.  Depending on the merchant they can choose to forego signature for low value purchases and they can select either a the Bt700 or B1500 amount for a Visa card.  For a Mastercard it's usually Bt1500.    It's up to the merchant if they use the low ticket value approach.  Amounts over Bt1500 require a signature.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

I don't want to sell this a possible solution:

it's possible to change the PIN at the ATM.

What happens if you try to cut it down (downgrade security) to 4 digits?

I've got a new chipped card and changed the PIN, it would only let me enter another six digit one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1