Highway 304 tunnel in Prachin Buri to open for Songkran

webfact

Highway 304 tunnel in Prachin Buri to open for Songkran

By The Nation

d11fbf8b3ad368aabb9f2f26ba041351-sld.jpe

Parts of the nearly-finished tunnel connecting Khao Yai National Park with Tap Lan National Park on Prachin Buri-Nakhon Ratchasima Highway 304, are set to open for temporary use during Songkran holidays to ease expected traffic congestion.

Millions of people are expected to hit the road during the Songkran period for vacations or visits home. Traffic flows during the period, as a result, usually move at a snail’s pace. 

In the hope of easing traffic congestion, Prachin Buri provincial highway office has planned to open the tunnel from April 10 onward. 

“It should help with the traffic flow along the 30-kilometre stretch of Highway 304 between Na Di district of Prachin Buri and Wang Nam Khiao district of Nakhon Ratchasima,” the office’s chief, Apichart Boonyoung said over the weekend.

Construction of the tunnel and an elevated bridge between kilometre markers 192 and 195 has resulted in the closing of two of the four traffic lanes, leading to heavy traffic congestion.

If the parts of the almost-finished tunnel were not opened for use during the Songkran 2018, Apichart predicted a traffic nightmare would occur.

“We will conduct a trial run before opening the tunnel to the public,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30342756

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-09

Whenever I have passed these two structures I have been bemused as I thought a tunnel was bored under ground. This is perched on top. Clearly there is a reason but just looking at it its difficult to understand why they just didn't make a road 

Maybe somebody can explain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gillap said:

To deflect huge amounts of water coming from the mountain during heavy rain!

Sounds plausible.

There was a thread recently where a poster asked about the use of the tunnels.

I suspected it could be to save from rock fall (as you would see in certain mountainous areas). But this would not need a fully enclosed road.

But a dry road is always better then a wet one.

Also it's the perfect separation from oncoming traffic flying over.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

They will probably (my guess) deposit large amounts of soil on top and plant some trees so the animals can safely cross the road. It is after all situated in a nature park. 

Well you're an aussie

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“We will conduct a trial run before opening the tunnel to the public,” he said. 

But what's the betting they won't conduct a trial accident? . . . 'cos there's bound to be one. A traffic nightmare-and-a-half, just waiting to happen.

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Sounds plausible.

There was a thread recently where a poster asked about the use of the tunnels.

I suspected it could be to save from rock fall (as you would see in certain mountainous areas). But this would not need a fully enclosed road.

But a dry road is always better then a wet one.

Also it's the perfect separation from oncoming traffic flying over.

If it was for rock fall then a tunnel would be needed for all of the downward section to Khorat as it's much steeper. The mountain is further back near the 'pipes' and not so steep.

Dry roads are better worldwide not just there. Water would be better drained under the road.

I don't understand traffic flying over unless they're aeroplanes.

Thanks for the ideas though.

22 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

I don't understand traffic flying over unless they're aeroplanes.

Seems you haven't seen as many Thai traffic accident videos like me :biggrin:

Pickups flying over the ditch and killing people on the opposite driveway.

Not limited to pickups, big trucks even flying/rolling over concrete walls meant to separate traffic etc. etc.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

They will probably (my guess) deposit large amounts of soil on top and plant some trees so the animals can safely cross the road. It is after all situated in a nature park. 

Me & the Mrs were up that way a week or 2 ago ( I posted some pics on here somewhere) and I asked the same question while in the area and was told exactly what you said, for the movement/migration of the local wild life :thumbsup:

The rest of the construction is equally impressive with massive viaducts etc, when complete that part of the journey to Korat will be a breeze, just watch out for double deckers and large trucks causing chaos :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Me & the Mrs were up that way a week or 2 ago ( I posted some pics on here somewhere)

May I help out?

Guess you refer to this:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1031003-pattaya-to-korat-by-bike/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-12848785

Interesting pictures.

Makes me think whether I should give it a try by car when its ready.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Canada has these kinds of tunnels built and the animals do use them.  In Banff National park Albrta.  Too bad some

commenters do not travel much, except to the local beer and grocery store.

Geezer

Edited by Stargrazer9889
error in spelling