Over 84 percent of people want revelers to wear traditional costumes during Songkran : Nida Poll

webfact

Ok, what is this crap about "traditional costume"? What the <deleted> is "traditional costume"? In my country, the "traditional costume" doesn't exist and has never existed. We have something called national costume or local folk costume, both which nobody in their right mind would be seen in if it was not for an exhibition or costume event or any other organized theater event. And those costumes go back several 100 years. So if that is the case, Thais should be wearing simple unstitched loin clothes and be bare-chested, like they did several 100 years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

If 80% of the people wanted revelers to wear traditional costumes, 80%  of the revelers which I assume are people would be wearing traditional costumes.

so what's stopping them?

It's the old and deeply embedded tradition of what 'we say vs. what we do'...

I'm not sure why these 'polls' even get reported as news.

Everyone in their right mind knows they are as fake as Hell, jeez, another day another Nida poll telling us how 95% of the populous agree with whatever today's junta proclamation happens to be

Maybe time will prove me wrong.

But with the exception of the specially staged photoshoots for the nightly fantasy news, I predict in your average Songkran water fest in a town/village near you, the percentage actually dolled up will be close to 0%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

A new O-net Test Question:

Over 84 percent of people want revelers to wear traditional costumes during Songkran. What will the other 50% wear?

Ah ha, you clearly understand Thai maths. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Well if the various lakorns are to believe, the good general should be true to his word, and wear traditional clothes.

All that Western camo stuff....not good

I await with bated breath to watch next Friday

actors-dressed-as-ancient-thai-soldiers-siege-of-ayutthaya-battle-CPBRBP (1).jpg

3 hours ago, heybuz said:

Poll revealed 14percent of Thais have common sense

I won't disagree with that, when you take everything in to consideration, driving and riding ability etc, that

should be about right.

2 hours ago, captspectre said:

what about the falang tourist idiots who wear tank tops, and shorts, and walk around like a bunch of drunken fools  throwing water on everyone? what about the drunk females who wear next to nothing yet take offense when someone grabs their butt?

It does not matter what the girls are wearing, or almost wearing, Songcran or not, you do not touch them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, merlin2002 said:

These polls are a joke. they claim to have asked respondents across the country and only had 1,000 plus replies. For a country that has a population of 70 million it's a pretty meaningless poll...

Let me guess, you skipped all your statistics classes in high school as you clearly have no clue how sampling works.

Hint: you don't need to ask everybody to find out, with a certain degree of certainty, what "everybody" thinks.

Yes I agree with many posters here that wearing Thai traditional clothing while getting soaked is an expensive, and wasteful, idea. If they aren't anywhere near the water games, fine and nice ti see. In fact, I have just been to Tesco and at a guess I'd say 30-40% of the Thai shoppers were dressed traditionally...children too.

56 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! Couldn't have been, only 84% said yes.

I think Nida, AKA The PM, has downplayed the percentages. He asked three members of his staff, all of whom said yes, NIDA Poll published but to be believable percentage figure reduced. :thumbsup:

And no magic or ghosts involved. 

image.jpeg.0a929692d8f5909dc63cb097fafeec56.jpeg