116 workers seeking jobs in South Korea were turned back by immigration in March

webfact

116 workers seeking jobs in South Korea were turned back by immigration in March

By Thai PBS

A9860348-7E37-41F7-B680-7E373125A8B2.jpe

A total of 159 job seekers hoping to find jobs in South Korea, were stopped from leaving the country in March alone by immigration officials at the Suvarnabhumi international airport after it was suspected that they were duped by employment brokers.

Employment Service Department director-general Anurak Tossarak said Sunday that of the 159 job seekers, 116 of them who included 58 men and 58 women wanted to go to South Korea believing that they would get jobs with high pays there as promised by their brokers.

The rest of the job seekers were promised jobs in Bahrain, Kazakhstan, Czech Republic and United Arab Emirates, he added.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/116-workers-seeking-jobs-south-korea-turned-back-immigration-march/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-09
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

were stopped from leaving the country in March alone by immigration officials at the Suvarnabhumi international airport after it was suspected that they were duped by employment brokers.

not the job of thai immigration to do this; Maybe those jobs were real, maybe Some were...; misguided government action

I wonder if they had any documents to show that they had jobs already and if so how convincing the documents were.

From a pragmatic point of view job scamming / fake job brokers has been a serious regular problem for over 3 decades that I'm aware of, but still these lo-life cheaters get away scamming their own folks. 

Why wasn't there some serious action years and years ago including very serious punishment including serious jail time compounded by how many people they scammed, plus massive fines and asset confiscation.

Where's the labor ministry?  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I wonder if they had any documents to show that they had jobs already and if so how convincing the documents were.

From a pragmatic point of view job scamming / fake job brokers has been a serious regular problem for over 3 decades that I'm aware of, but still these lo-life cheaters get away scamming their own folks. 

Why wasn't there some serious action years and years ago including very serious punishment including serious jail time compounded by how many people they scammed, plus massive fines and asset confiscation.

Where's the labor ministry?  

Where is the Labour Ministry you ask? They are busy with their heads down and their asses in the air trying to unravel the unholey mess they made of the task of registering immigrant workers. 

Obviously a totally incompetent ministry and as you correctly point out they can't even control the labour employment scam artists ripping of their own people.  PM Prayut sacked one Labour minister not long ago and and he has made recent statements suggesting the latest one might not last long either. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

not the job of thai immigration to do this; Maybe those jobs were real, maybe Some were...; misguided government action

Stopping misguided people isn't a good thing to do?

I wonder what nationalities they were. The Thai people well they actually did them a big favour. I know some thai ladies who attempted the journey and were flatly denied entry, hence that was an expensive trip. Granted some were jubious but a couple of the others were Genuine travellers. Furthermore no help or assistance is offered to those people. In my OP choose another holiday or employment destination

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app