Are you a Loser?

bwpage3

20 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Nonsense, most farang here were highly respected members of society in their home country and their presence here makes Thailand a much more world worldly place.

You are a good judge of character

8 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Nonsense, most farang here were highly respected members of society in their home country and their presence here makes Thailand a much more world worldly place.

And they come to Thailand in droves to be poor English teachers.

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

We are talking past one another so I will leave it at that except to say where did your 'set criteria' come from?

You once wrote that 'I decided' to come to Thailand, did I ? all by myself ? I lived in Germany most of my working life because even as a teenager I felt an inherent love for the language and so taught myself, where this love came from I don't know. Some years before my retirement from BMW someone in my office asked me if I would proof read some technical documents in English for him, they were meant to be sent to Thailand and as such had some illustrations with a few words written in Thai on them, the letters fascinated me so I set about learning to read Thai from German textbooks,it was hard work without a teacher but I persevered many hours each evening until 'I decided' to try out my language skills in Thailand, that is how I ended up here. Asia was never on my radar before that.

My set criteria came from my conscious decisions to do what appeals to me.  I came to Thailand as my choice for a little vacation from Vietnam during the war.  I went to Vietnam as a result of my conscious decision to join the State Department to do my part rather than being in the military. I had three deferments and a high draft number, so I did not even need to go. As I said, I engineered what I did based on what I thought would be interesting for me. I did not leave it to chance or for someone else to decide.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:06 PM, totally thaied up said:

I am pretty much a loser.  I have a serious mental disorder and been living in Thailand for 10 years now.  I have nothing and I repeat "nothing" to offer my wife. 

I watch all my so call friends buy cars for the girl friends,  renovate kitchens and outdoor areas for them.  It makes me feel truly inadequate as a person.

Yet over time I see the cars and girls disappear an these guys left with nothing.  Yes,  they are very,  very rich men but I have seen them crying over loss of property given.  Yet my wife is still with me. 

A close school friend died this week.  Net worth was 17 million dollars.  Had pancreatic cancer. Not married but married to his business.

He was 49 and I am 48.

Maybe I am not a loser then as I am still alive. I just gather,  life is as you make it and the decisions you make. 

but the end could be near for you as well. just bc you are of limited means doesnt mean you cant die tomorrow before your 49th bday. Life is precious and ones longevity is not based on a bank balance

• Like 1

On 4/10/2018 at 4:06 PM, totally thaied up said:

I am pretty much a loser.  I have a serious mental disorder and been living in Thailand for 10 years now.  I have nothing and I repeat "nothing" to offer my wife. 

I watch all my so call friends buy cars for the girl friends,  renovate kitchens and outdoor areas for them.  It makes me feel truly inadequate as a person.

Yet over time I see the cars and girls disappear an these guys left with nothing.  Yes,  they are very,  very rich men but I have seen them crying over loss of property given.  Yet my wife is still with me. 

A close school friend died this week.  Net worth was 17 million dollars.  Had pancreatic cancer. Not married but married to his business.

He was 49 and I am 48.

Maybe I am not a loser then as I am still alive. I just gather,  life is as you make it and the decisions you make. 

No, you are not a loser ( whatever that may be, American materialist terminology) despite the poor hand you have been dealt you have made the best of your possibilities, you have risen above yourself so don't put yourself down.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, soalbundy said:

No, you are not a loser ( whatever that may be, American materialist terminology) despite the poor hand you have been dealt you have made the best of your possibilities, you have risen above yourself so don't put yourself down.

I like your positivity . Good to see the naysayers haven’t beaten it out of you . Stand strong sir ! ?

On 4/13/2018 at 8:39 PM, soalbundy said:

I like your positivity . Good to see the naysayers haven’t beaten it out of you . Stand strong sir ! ?

On 4/13/2018 at 1:02 PM, soalbundy said:

You are a good judge of character

I'm a good judge of British weather, immigrant ghettos and no go areas, rising prices, soaring rates of violent crime, an indolent police force, a broken health system. That's what I have lost.

3 hours ago, The manic said:

I'm a good judge of British weather, immigrant ghettos and no go areas, rising prices, soaring rates of violent crime, an indolent police force, a broken health system. That's what I have lost.

Having said that, there are negative sides to living in the UK as well

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/04/2018 at 11:05 AM, Peterw42 said:

Not sure what response the OP is looking for, other than just agreeing with his views.

"If you get divorced back home you are a loser, if you get divorced in Thailand you are a loser, if you disagree with the OP you are a loser".

I am not aware that the divorce rate is proportionately higher amongst Expats in Thailand. As they are private affairs, I have no idea who is to blame either. My knowledge of Thai divorce laws is, you get to keep what you had before the divorce and split what you acquired during, possibly losing nothing financially. 

For 100 divorces , they may 100 different reasons as to why the marriage failed, usually its a 50/50 senario, not a winner and loser.

Maybe the OP can enlighten us as to the actual divorce rate amongst expats and the why only one half of the marriage is to blame , or the loser ?

He sounds like a poor man's Trump speaking from experience.

Plenty of losers in Thailand. 

It's a well known fact that people from my country , Norway , travel to Thailand to find a cheap girl they can bring with then home. These guys would not look very attractive at all , overweight and not looking good.

They can claim they found love in Thailand  , and they can afford the bill , since the welfare system in Norway is the best in the world. 

So everyone's happy , the girl can send money back to the family and the "not so good looking" guy can keep her as long as the bank is open . 

Another issue is what people back home think about me living in Thailand.  Especially in sin city Pattaya. 

Of course many will think I'm a loser for just living here, when I left one of the richest countries in the world where you can just sit on your arse all day and receive welfare pensions etc. 

I look at them as losers but that's another issue. 

Edited by balo
  • Haha 1

As a starting point (regarding the last reply from the OP), here is the relevant background info., followed by the evidence.

1. There are only three ways to end - destroy - a marriage: annulment, death, and divorce. Annulment is irrelevant here. Death is also irrelevant, because the topic here is divorce.

2. Wikipedia will serve as a source for reliable statistics for the purposes of this discussion:  "According to a study published in the American Law and Economics Review, women have filed slightly more than two-thirds of divorce cases in the United States.[111] This trend is mirrored in the UK where a recent study into web search behavior found that 70% of divorce inquiries were from women. These findings also correlate with the Office for National Statistics publication "Divorces in England and Wales 2012[112] which reported that divorce petitions from women outnumber those from men by 2 to 1."

Unless someone can present evidence to the contrary, a logical extrapolation can be made: women file for divorce much more so than men. (This discussion assumes heterosexual couples.)

Conclusion: Since the only way to destroy a marriage is by filing and getting a divorce (annulment and death not relevant), therefore, by logical extension; by necessity; BY DEFINITION, it is the woman, not the man, who is to blame for destroying, by far, most marriages. Period.

Now, beyond this simple fact, of course most women will ignore this and proceed directly to giving, what they think, are "reasons" and "justifications" for their divorce (and, sadly, far too many ignorant men will buy what they offer in their defense).

Nontheless, in most cases, no legitimate reason(s) or justification (s) exist. They are simply excuses.

Now, if anyone cannot wrap their head around this simple truth; cannot get past this first step; then it signifies they will not accept more unpleasant truths to follow.

Decide for yourself if you are ready for that challenge.

1 hour ago, balo said:

Plenty of losers in Thailand. 

It's a well known fact that people from my country , Norway , travel to Thailand to find a cheap girl they can bring with then home. These guys would not look very attractive at all , overweight and not looking good.

They can claim they found love in Thailand  , and they can afford the bill , since the welfare system in Norway is the best in the world. 

So everyone's happy , the girl can send money back to the family and the "not so good looking" guy can keep her as long as the bank is open . 

Another issue is what people back home think about me living in Thailand.  Especially in sin city Pattaya. 

Of course many will think I'm a loser for just living here, when I left one of the richest countries in the world where you can just sit on your arse all day and receive welfare pensions etc. 

I look at them as losers but that's another issue. 

Sitting in a fridge to receive handouts isnt worth it.

• Haha 1