Six dead, 44 injured in yet more Burmese worker bus carnage

webfact

29 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

Good for you, obviously using mickey mouse rental companies and breaking the law. You can only legally drive in the UK with a valid UK license or IDP........ask the UK police if you doubt me.

You really should stop digging, the hole is still not too deep.

Just been thinking of the Mickey Mouse companies I rented the cars from.

Hertz Avis Eurocar and Budget. Usually rent an Audi A4 or a Volvo V70. Must go up-market the next time.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Thais shouldn't be allowed to drive in their own country let alone overseas.

They are far too poorly trained, culturally stunted, incompetent, arrogant and unable to control their emotions to be allowed to operate motor vehicles. It's as simple as that.

How to fix the problem? Telling them to enforce the laws won't work, that's like telling 12 year old kids to look after 11 year old kids.

Back to the buffalo, the only solution that will work until a proper education system is implemented and Thais learn responsibility, accountability and how to drive properly with due care and attention. 

Or, to be more accurate, something that you don't have a tendency to do, some Thais shouldn't be allowed to drive.

"They are far too poorly trained, culturally stunted, incompetent, arrogant and unable to control their emotions to be allowed to operate motor vehicles. It's as simple as that".

After that rant you're calling Thais arrogant?  Wow.

6 minutes ago, SirBuwanaDogbossKing said:

They aren't accepted, Just Weird is.........well just having a weird day...LOL

Is the UK in the EU?  Is France, Germany? Foreign licences are valid in those countries for driving so there is no reason for other EU countries to be any different.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

12-15 tons in weight plus the passengers and diver 51people at a minimum of 60kg each = 3060 kg 

combined weight speed = 15 -  18tons plus  and gathering speed all the time,  

TOO late diver!  you <deleted> numb nut.

Take a year leave from your day job and try to explain this to a Thai bus d(r)iver

41 minutes ago, overherebc said:

You really should stop digging, the hole is still not too deep.

Just been thinking of the Mickey Mouse companies I rented the cars from.

Hertz Avis Eurocar and Budget. Usually rent an Audi A4 or a Volvo V70. Must go up-market the next time.

?

Got one name wrong, had to go for a p in the middle of posting.

Edited by overherebc

5 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Blame it on Songkran... Easy

We need a bus full of Army Generals to have "brake failure", only then might something be done about the utter carnage on the roads here...

Oh, come on, don't be silly.

It is a thing that's going to cost a very long time to solve, and you can blame all elected and unelected governments since, say, 1930, for the road carnage for doing nothing or not doing enough.

But, what is your solution?

Edited by hansnl
  • Like 1

Just a few thoughts:

A foreigner in Thailand can use their licence + IDP but is required to get a Thai licence after 90 days however long their licence and IDP is valid.

This is perfectly normal and the converse is true if you go to live in any other country. I am not going to argue whether it is 3 months or 6 months but you will be required to get the local licence eventually

Tourists can usually use their own licence in Europe as long as it is in English and a full licence rather than a 1 or 2 year licence. Some, but certainly not all,  car hire companies have it in their terms that people using a licence from outside the EU should have a IDP

It is certainly in the AVIS terms in the UK. Last year I used AVIS in France with just my Thai licence. They did not ask to see an IDP. This year I am hiring from Heathrow so to be certain got myself a Thai IDP as well as the licence as I had read on a customer review site of a customer being turned away as they did not have an IDP

Like many UK residents in Thailand my UK licence has lapsed.

As for the original notion of banning Thais from driving overseas I think you are whistling in the wind. Too many international agreements for that. I also suspect that most Thais or Farangs using Thai licences modify their driving habits when in Europe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Oh, come on, don't be silly.

It is a thing that's going to cost a very long time to solve, and you can blame all elected and unelected governments since, say, 1930, for the road carnage for doing nothing or not doing enough.

But, what is your solution?

Time is the word.

In Europe/USA the cars developed over a long time and the laws/roads and enforcement of the laws developed with them.

Pickups now can out perform what were classed as sports cars not that long ago.

In comparrison some countries have had a much shorter time to develop in the same ways.

It will happen, but not tomorrow, perhaps through control systems where vehicles are built with electronic controls that react to roadside transmissions that can limit the vehicles speed etc on the road and onboard sensors that prevent getting too close to the car in front etc etc

In my mind a better way than driverless cars.

Edited by overherebc

13 minutes ago, Scotssing said:

Just a few thoughts:

A foreigner in Thailand can use their licence + IDP but is required to get a Thai licence after 90 days however long their licence and IDP is valid.

This is perfectly normal and the converse is true if you go to live in any other country. I am not going to argue whether it is 3 months or 6 months but you will be required to get the local licence eventually

Tourists can usually use their own licence in Europe as long as it is in English and a full licence rather than a 1 or 2 year licence. Some, but certainly not all,  car hire companies have it in their terms that people using a licence from outside the EU should have a IDP

It is certainly in the AVIS terms in the UK. Last year I used AVIS in France with just my Thai licence. They did not ask to see an IDP. This year I am hiring from Heathrow so to be certain got myself a Thai IDP as well as the licence as I had read on a customer review site of a customer being turned away as they did not have an IDP

Like many UK residents in Thailand my UK licence has lapsed.

As for the original notion of banning Thais from driving overseas I think you are whistling in the wind. Too many international agreements for that. I also suspect that most Thais or Farangs using Thai licences modify their driving habits when in Europe

Rented from Heathrow a couple of times using only my Thai licence without a problem. Maybe the older type lifetime Thai licence required an IDP as I think everything was in Thai.

The first two year ( temporary ) licence I know is not accepted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JOC said:

An observation.

Tribalism is alive and well.

If the victims here had been tourists from Europe.....we would 3 pages of posts...."RIP and speedy recovery to the survivors"

But since the victims were "only" migrant workers from Myanmar....the thread has just turned into another Thai bashing and no one cares about the victims...:coffee1:

What utter <deleted>. Remove the rosey specs.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JOC said:

But since the victims were "only" migrant workers from Myanmar....the thread has just turned into another Thai bashing and no one cares about the victims...:coffee1:

Be fair, not many expats or foreigners driving Thai buses and coaches I wold guess 

• Like 2

About time the Authorities ( including the Police ) demand better TESTS for BUS drivers and more stringent checks prior to any journey . it is plain that the majority of accidents is down in the main to DRIVER ERROR, just say it as it is not bland excuses. Lock up bad derivers and fine 100 k each bus company for any accident where the driver is wrong . 

AS i said many times Cambodia has the killing fields and Thailand has the Killing Roads. Now lets get ready for Songkran 400 dead 2,000 injured Oh by the way these Burmese wont be counted in the death toll These buses in Thailand do have many problems with there brakes or is it the drivers they have most problems with?

4 hours ago, Humpy said:

I've seen 'Select low gear' signs at the top of steep hills to warn the drivers. Bus and lorry companies get a grip and educate your 'drivers'. Highways department sort yourselves out .

Problem is, it doesn't tell them to keep in low gear right to the bottom. 

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Modify what is ingrained? Hardly. 

But they do and that is what is so strange about all this..

In Australia my wife "belted up" every time without prompting and so did our Thai friends there.

Fast forward to Thailand and she and her family required prompting every time.

The fear of Draconian punishment was lacking,an "up to them" philosophy prevailed,and no personal responsibility was forthcoming...

They were home!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

But they do and that is what is so strange about all this..

In Australia my wife "belted up" every time without prompting and so did our Thai friends there.

Fast forward to Thailand and she and her family required prompting every time.

The fear of Draconian punishment was lacking,an "up to them" philosophy prevailed,and no personal responsibility was forthcoming...

They were home!

That is true 100%.

They actually become cautious and careful. Main reason being they are very aware that offering a wai and 100 baht will get them locked up not let off.

Here we go,,,,, sickening,

A Ratchaburi bus is for driving on flat pretty straight roads.

Buses driving on the Tak/Mae Sot road needs to be properly maintained &n roadworthy.

He had no chance unless trained to gear the bus all the way which he would never have been trained

On 4/10/2018 at 9:56 AM, the guest said:

One of the reasons why Thai driving licenses in whatever form are not accepted in the EU. They already know the driving standards are appalling.

Very sad for the ones that lost their lives on a completely avoidable situation.

Sorry this question is to "the guest": Can you substantiate your claim? Who, which country, where was that law written? I ask, because I'm Swiss and my pouch, stowed away in a bag, including, passport, money, drivers license, all cards were stolen about 30 years ago in an overland bus during a stop in Korat. Ever since I have a Thai drivers license. Never was my Thai drivers license questioned whenever I rented a car.

Is this a new law?? I do understand when Thais are getting questioned, but Europeans ... Can you please elaborate, the guest?

Edited by Dario

1 hour ago, natway09 said:

Here we go,,,,, sickening,

A Ratchaburi bus is for driving on flat pretty straight roads.

Buses driving on the Tak/Mae Sot road needs to be properly maintained &n roadworthy.

He had no chance unless trained to gear the bus all the way which he would never have been trained

Any nincampook should have been trained thus,

Stop being an intellectual embarrasment to us and,even more so to Thais.

People are dead here.You understand?

I dare you.

Edited by Odysseus123