‘Don't Dress Sexy’ Advice Triggers an Echo of #MeToo in Thailand

webfact

59 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Ridiculous false equivalency. Riding a bike dangerously or doing anything stupid, dumb, illegal, etc, lies solely on the person doing it. You’re responsible for your actions. Dressing sexily isn’t illegal. Groping women is. You’re responsible for your own actions. 

The point some of us are trying to address is ‘there are no excuses’. If you go round grabbing women, you are to blame 100%. She is to blame 0%. The bigger picture? People might

think twice before they grab someone knowing they have no excuses and it’s completely wrong. 

It's not about blame.

You're right women are free to dress however they want.  The choice is theirs.

In the chaos of masses of Songkran revellers police are simply not going to be able to prevent sexy dressed women from being harrassed.

7 minutes ago, YTP said:

It's not about blame.

You're right women are free to dress however they want.  The choice is theirs.

In the chaos of masses of Songkran revellers police are simply not going to be able to prevent sexy dressed women from being harrassed.

You are clearly not one of the women being told how to dress* but wish to ignore the opinions of the very many women who are, while offering absolutely no condemnation of the men who commit sexual assaults. 

The question has to arise, why does it bother you so?

(* Let's consider in which other cultures men tell women how to dress and if we wish to support that!)

1 hour ago, DM07 said:

Welcome to the 21st century! 
I know a bunch (as in more then a hand full) women with "respectable" jobs and they like to dress sexy (at times) or like to wear bikinis.

To think, that all these women are hookers or sluts, doe really show a certain mindset and you, bringing that up on this thread, makes you no better!

The times they are a changin'!

Clearly you understand little about Thais and their culture. Higher standards of public behavior are expected here than in the West. Hopefully, you won't have to learn this lesson the hard way.

Edited by Krataiboy

8 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Clearly you understand little about Thais and their culture. Higher standards of public behavior are expected here than in the West. Hopefully, you won't learn this lesson the hard way.

Oh goodness, an expat lecturing on Thai culture. 

These higher standards you refer to.... You don't read the local news then.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, so make the message clear. Groping women is unacceptable. You are to blame 100% if you do it. No excuses. This way attitudes change. There will always be a****** who do this. When attitudes change, fewer a******* do it. It becomes totally unacceptable. Not only legal consequences but also social ones. 

One place will become victorian and another the New Pattaya. Nothing wrong with a New Pattaya, the old one has been sacked by Chinese. So I support this, let's segregate the men properly and never shall yee cross the line.

Guess which side the women would flock to?

3 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

One place will become victorian and another the New Pattaya. Nothing wrong with a New Pattaya, the old one has been sacked by Chinese. So I support this, let's segregate the men properly and never shall yee cross the line.

Guess which side the women would flock to?

You’ve lost me. No idea what you mean. 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, so make the message clear. Groping women is unacceptable. You are to blame 100% if you do it. No excuses. This way attitudes change. There will always be a****** who do this. When attitudes change, fewer a******* do it. It becomes totally unacceptable. Not only legal consequences but also social ones. 

I wholly agree, it's unacceptable.

What I'm saying is that morally unacceptable/illegal vs. reality are two different things.

There are illogical <deleted> out there during Songkran that don't give a <deleted> about what is acceptable, so take precautions.

Edited by YTP
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

You’ve lost me. No idea what you mean. 

Ok: if attitudes change, the a******* will move to a place with attitudes that suit the a******* better and the rest will remain where they are. The a******* will be the new pioneers in the frontier, the founders of New Pattaya, just like in the good old days when farangs fled the West in droves to the happy happy place.

And as we've seen in the past, a bunch of a******* attracts a load of scantily clad women. And all is well in the universe again, until some %¤%¤#¤%%&# in the government decides to renovate the paradise into a "family destination".

9 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Ok: if attitudes change, the a******* will move to a place with attitudes that suit the a******* better and the rest will remain where they are. The a******* will be the new pioneers in the frontier, the founders of New Pattaya, just like in the good old days when farangs fled the West in droves to the happy happy place.

And as we've seen in the past, a bunch of a******* attracts a load of scantily clad women. And all is well in the universe again, until some %¤%¤#¤%%&# in the government decides to renovate the paradise into a "family destination".

5 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, I understand. But once you start telling women not to dress sexy, you’re also telling potential attackers that their actions can be justified. 

I think everyone knows these kinds of actions can and will never be justified.

I don't think women are being told, but being advised.  In an old fashioned nanny-state kind of way.

Good discussion.

3 minutes ago, YTP said:

I think everyone knows these kinds of actions can and will never be justified.

I don't think women are being told, but being advised.  In an old fashioned nanny-state kind of way.

Good discussion.

Everyone doesn’t know. That’s the problem. Ever met a man who’s become angry after being rejected by a woman? That’s a person who clearly doesn’t understand how life works. A person who doesn’t understand people are free to dress as they please and how people can reject advances for whatever reason they want. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Everyone doesn’t know. That’s the problem. Ever met a man who’s become angry after being rejected by a woman? That’s a person who clearly doesn’t understand how life works. A person who doesn’t understand people are free to dress as they please and how people can reject advances for whatever reason they want. 

Then there you go, those are some of the guys that don't give a flying crap during Songkran.

9 hours ago, YTP said:

Then there you go, those are some of the guys that don't give a flying crap during Songkran.

Those are examples of the guys who need to be held to account and prosecuted for their behaviour. 

But then when the call is made to prosecute guys who grope women, or when women have the audacity to start a campaign to bring sexual abuse into the public debate this kicks off a bunch of men complaining they are sick of hearing about it (complaints usually accompanied by moaning about feminism and feminists).

It seems punishing abusers is a tad too radical for some.

11 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Clearly you understand little about Thais and their culture. Higher standards of public behavior are expected here than in the West. Hopefully, you won't have to learn this lesson the hard way.

Keep your condescending BS to yourself, please!

The world is turning- slower inside Thailand for sure!

But it is turning and if I hear one more sentence about Thai culture and higher standards, I will throw up!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Keep your condescending BS to yourself, please!

The world is turning- slower inside Thailand for sure!

But it is turning and if I hear one more sentence about Thai culture and higher standards, I will throw up!

If you must, but not in public, please. Not everywhere in Thailand is a Patpong.

Edited by Krataiboy

27 minutes ago, DM07 said:

is this supposed to be funny?

It's unwitting irony.

cyril sneer is unable to recognise the common ground held by fundamentalist islam and men in Thailand dictating how women should dress. 

The common argument shared with religious fanatics that women should dress conservatively to prevent sexual abuse by men.

Don't dress too sexy is just an advise.  The same advise many parents would give their daughters. You don't have to listen to that advise. Therefor I don't understand the "don't tell me how to dress" .."movement". Again, it's not an order, just an advise. Have a nice songkran.

Edited by Nickymaster

Provocative dictionary meaning: The action, thought, or feeling is often a desired one, called forth on purpose. In fact, provocative is often used to describe actions or ways of dressing that cause sexual feelings. 

At social events where people have been drinking or maybe even drug taking involved people are inclined to overlook their inhibitions and get carried away by their feelings of the moment, emotions of jollity can take over logical thought without actually considering consequences.

Women should have certain responsibilities to themselves and to not place themselves in vulnerable situations and use common sense when partying. Although men have no rights to sexually molest women, not under any circumstances, women still should not place temptations in the way by visually sending out all the wrong messages as if advertising they are fair game and up for it.

4 hours ago, impulse said:

If he suggested not wearing any huge gold necklaces around the drunk crowds of Songkran, nobody would bat an eye.  And Mr T wannabes have just as much right to wear their bling, and nobody is allowed to steal it. 

But wearing it does increase the odds of becoming a victim.  Just like dressing in a provocative manner.

Good post.

Did you know that if a driver leaves his/her vehicle parked with the key still in the ignition and the engine running and if that vehicle gets stolen, the insurance company will refuse to pay out. Why? Because that would be considered as negligence on the driver`s part, although the thief will still be held accountable for stealing the vehicle.

Self explanatory, or go and figure yourselves.

ME TOO:

It was horrible, guys were ogling me and some even tried to grope my breasts. WHY? WHY? WHY?

But as the American woman said; women should feel comfortable at wearing anything they like.

Songkran-Thailand.jpg

Edited by cyberfarang

4 minutes ago, DM07 said:

Your post (and the one you answered to) are so stupid, I don't know even where to begin!

But how about here: guys were oggling her? So what! That doesn't matter!

You can sit there and "oggle" her as long as you like!

Touching is a different thing and it is NOT OKAY!

Why doesn't that go into your thick skulls?

Also: can we stop with those stupid dumb and ignorant false equivalencies?

A car is a "thing" a woman is a person!

You OWN a car, you don't own a woman!

A car does not make the decission to be unlocked in an unsafe space!

You are dumb, a woman just dresses as she pleases and it should NOT trigger the animal in you!

Is that clear?

You are quite right.... a woman dresses as she pleases and it 'should' NOT trigger the animal in anyone...

I'd like to apply a healthy dose of reality to the topic: Some animals are unable to control themselves, thus, when offering advice to anyone it is not unreasonable to be realistic for the world is not made up of perfectly well-behaved people.