Extortion from Landlord years ago - Visiting Thailand Fears

1 minute ago, Swimman said:

Anecdotal, second/third-hand tales are of little value to anyone. 

I couldn't agree with you more and I only let people know that if they come across the situation of vindictive retribution be prepared. Be prepared for the best and a little for the worst. Have your plan set out.  Anger should not be included in the plan.

To say that I have never seen or had such a problem is not saying it will never happen to anyone.

26 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Depending on what's just happened in the recent time. Let's say that you've just insulted a person. They are angry. I would not say definitely OK. Their option is to shout and scream, physical violence or the ever growing option of get the foreigner in trouble with immigration.  But somehow I think you're the type of guy who is polite so you will be OK in the future. Or if the future doesn't exist because time is always now then let's say later on.

so say i'm not polite and how then is this angry person going to get me in trouble with immigration then, just out of interest

Why bother coming has the sun stopped shining in Florida, you will notice a different after 10 years the beaches are garbage dumps bordering open sewers ( the ocean ) the land of smiles now frowns. Basically they hate the sight of falangs born out of financial jealousy.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Sprigger said:

Why bother coming has the sun stopped shining in Florida, you will notice a different after 10 years the beaches are garbage dumps bordering open sewers ( the ocean ) the land of smiles now frowns. Basically they hate the sight of falangs born out of financial jealousy.

i read this a lot on TVF but really haven't experienced that myself. are you talking only about pattaya?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

so say i'm not polite and how then is this angry person going to get me in trouble with immigration then, just out of interest

Take the fixing car as working as one possible example.

But the real life experience example was a friend carrying a glass door upstairs.

The silly thing is that he was paying a Thai man 500 baht a day to renovate and install  such things. 

• Haha 1

Just now, stud858 said:

Take the fixing car as working as one possible example.

But the real life experience example was a friend carrying a glass door upstairs.

The silly thing is that he was paying a Thai man 500 baht a day to renovate and install  such things. 

nothing to do with immo

2 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

Basically they hate the sight of falangs born out of financial jealousy.

What a strange comment -- I suspect most of my delightful Thai neighbours are, by a long way, far more wealthy than me ....... 

To the OP ... working online (without either a Thai employer, or customers you do work for in Thailand) may be against the letter of the Working of Aliens Act. However, it is completely tolerated. Any report to the authorities that you were so engaged will be completely ignored.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Swimman said:

What a strange comment -- I suspect most of my delightful Thai neighbours are, by a long way, far more wealthy than me ....... 

Are they running businesses that rely on tourist income? I would guess not.

The dislike exists where many locals are involved with the tourists and they dislike the fact that sometimes the shortcomings in the service they provide are pointed out to them. It them becomes, in their minds, all tourists should just accept anything without complaining because I need/want as much cash as possible for the least effort.

7 hours ago, poanoi said:

most stuff is prescribed after 10 years,

so what is left is figuring out if you are on the denied entry list,

but i think that too would be gone after 10 years.

a lawyer could investigate that last part for a price,

but after 10 years, i would not piss away money on such a small chance

It's laughable he was working online which is not ilegal and the Thai is another scam artist probably arranged the break ins as well. She probably wanted him out. Don't worry your not on any list. with some luck she has already died.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KiptheMann said:

Thanks Paonoi. :) I hope you are correct. I dont think my kid can handle being jailed in Thailand. I know it seems like I am being paranoid but the recent articles I've read are disturbing.

Relax there is no listing she is a crook

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Media1 said:

It's laughable he was working online which is not ilegal and the Thai is another scam artist probably arranged the break ins as well. She probably wanted him out. Don't worry your not on any list. with some luck she has already died.

Good to see we have a TVF detective who has just solved 2 crimes from 10+ years ago, without any effort.

• Like 1

Nothing to worry about , unless you are wanted in Thailand by the authorities , just visit as a tourist.  If you don't want to meet your old landlord again , maybe stay away from the CM area, 

• Thanks 1

Guys,

This thread reminds me of the guy panicking about telling a Thai woman to leave his apartment and worried about the consequences or the guy worried about throwing the trespassers off his land growing bananas and refusing to move. Now, we have a nonsense from 10 years ago and the man gets his ' knickers in a twist ' about something he read online and not helped...but hindered....by scaremongering some TV members here online about breaking leases and so forth, because they have nothing better to do.

Does anybody here imagine for a second that this rubbish is going to be on an immigration computer?? or that a guy walked away from his lease and basically gave the horrible cow, 80K THB deposit which his landlord took without any qualms and then the greedy woman tried to squeeze even more baht from him?

It is time to toughen up some of you guys and stop being lily-livered.

As long as some on here walk around frightened of their own shadow, bullies in this country and any other country will win the day, They thrive on fear, they are cowards when you stand up to them.

A bully relies on this outlandish, unnecessary fear to get their own way. You put your point across to whoever in a calm, sensible dignified but very firm way and show you are standing for no nonsense and 98% of the time, they back off. They wait for you to panic or hesitate and then they know they have won.

They have some cockeyed ways in this country but there is a rule of law, there are good respectable lawyers and there are judges who would throw this out of court.In fact, it wouldn't get to court, because the woman was just ' trying it on '

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMHO the OP is worrying unnecessarily. There are many stories of Thai girls getting knocked up by their boyfriends, who then do a runner out of the area. I don't see any stories of them being caught and returned to face the music. Provided he stays out of Chiang Mai, I can't see any problem from a ten-year-old situation.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on all of this. If there is an issue, do you guys think this would help...I have an old friend (I lived with their family previously many years ago but they are like family) and they are Thai. I was a high school exchange student with their family - still in touch - really great people. And, the father in the family works quite high up in the govt - in the House of Rep. and also is friends with a lot of high ranking cops. Maybe he can either check on it for me or just be used as a contact if needed, in case anything happens when I arrive...though it is unlikely, it is possible. 

15 hours ago, Monkeyrobot said:

Don’t worry about, if it was 10 years ago won’t you be on a new passport now anyway. The land lady was just trying to squeeze some extra cash out of you.

I agree!! 

Op, if you lived here before you should know already that most Thai cops wont do anything unless they can make some money.  Unless your landlady has some very good friends high, high up nothing will happen as this is a civil issue, nothing to do with the police.  You broke a contract not a law!!! 

• Thanks 1

OP was not charged with any offence and nothing ever went to court. OP has nothing to worry about. Some Thais like to frighten us with threats about going to immigration - I even had a vendor who did it to me when I disputed her poor service. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KiptheMann said:

... And, the father in the family works quite high up in the govt - in the House of Rep. and also is friends with a lot of high ranking cops. Maybe he can either check on it for me or just be used as a contact if needed, in case anything happens when I arrive...though it is unlikely, it is possible. 

It's always good to have friends and acquaintances who might be able to help, or at least be a character reference.  But I wouldn't stir up a hornet's nest.  Get in touch and tell him you are visiting, would be great if you could meet up, that sort of thing.

When I got married 40 years ago, I needed someone to go to the Amphur office and vouch for me and my good character.  I took my elderly and infirm landlord in a samlor.  When we walked in, I have never seen such high Wais nor heard such apologies for bothering an old man.  He had been a Superintendent of Education in the Amphur, if not the province of Loei.  Paperwork flew and the rubber stamps were still smoking when we walked out about 5 minutes later.

My wife and I have a little and very narrow postage-stamp sized lot near our house in Thailand.  Stupidly, we bought it from my bro-in-law.  The next door land owner built some row-rooms to rent to students, and situated his back wall a meter or two on our side of the property line. Property is actually in our sis-in-law's name.  It took about 5 years in the court system to get the A-hole to move the wall.  He was or had been a government worker.  But so was my SIL's husband, and she is full of piss and vinegar.  I'd love to meet up with that landlord prick and mention that he screwed with the wrong people who had plenty of time and money to stomp on his head.  Apparently the court had to threaten him with the loss of his Thai government pension before he gave in.  555

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Thanks 1