Why no milkshakes?

canuckamuck

21 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Yes I am aware of that but have not been able to find a milk shake like that for years even in Canada. I think a real milk shake is a thing of the past. I grew up on milk shakes that were frothy,with ice cream lumps that would get stuck in the straw. 2 or 3 scoops of hard ice cream add milk ,and flavoring and place on machine.

Today they are made from ice milk at best. Some are quite scary actually. I have been told that if you let a McDonalds shake sit ib the sun all day when you go to get it the fluid will be warm  but have the same consistancy as it does when cold.Not sure if it is true or not but really do not want to find out in case it is true.

No help to you but the small drug store on the main drag on Springville, Utah, makes them like they did in 1948. $2.50. Same posters, too. Other scattered places still offer the original shake. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, peterb17 said:

Is it not so difficult to make your own? 

Why is it that so many posts on Thai Visa seem to denigrate women and treat them as sex objects.

Just perhaps what is going on in the West has not reached these shores? 

No denigration.  It's flattery. And thank God many questionable western values have not reached here! Marxist inspired identity politics and self victimisation included.

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/why-women-need-liberating-from-feminism/20740#.WtMol8sRUwA

Edited by The manic

Instead of crying over spilt milk why don't you start drinking coconut milk I mean the white milk like liquid not the water which sport enthusiasts drink to replace their electricity or minerals.

Anyway I drink coconut milk (the thai called it Khati) in the past there was some misunderstanding that the oil in this coconut milk is bad for your heart because  it clots up your artery and all that bullshit.

Then later scientists say "Oh no it's not true because the fatty chain molecule of the coconut milk is a short chain molecule that don't line up the arteries so they don't clot up your arteries."

I drink them at room temperature and I add pure coco powder and whisk them with a hand whisk not in blender (because you waste half of it which sticks to the sides of the blender) The hand whisk is the ideal tool to mix. It tastes so good. If you are not overweight then the coco powder is a must. I drink them also because I need to gain some weight. High calories stuff this coconut milk plus coco powder but it is 100 percent pure. No don't try to put ice or blend them in blender it would spoil the nature  wonderful taste.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:53 AM, yellowboat said:

.   Milk is not a big part of the diet here. 

True.

Most East Asians including Thai are lactose intolerant, they can't take dairy products.

I see a lot of stalls selling soya drinks in all colors inside plastic bags, this their  'milk shake' - Thai style.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well put.  I remember talking with an educated Thai guy several years ago.  He asked, " What is McDonald's ice cream?  Only 7 baht.  Cannot be ice cream."  Nuff said.

Also, Carl's Jr. In Central Festival Pattaya has milk shakes again.

Edited by LALes

Generally speaking, the reality of Thailand is, if you want cheap prices, you're going to get cheap junk "ice cream" made without any actual cream or milk, and instead mostly sugar and syrup, palm oil, whey and various chemicals.  If you want actual real ice cream made from actual milk and cream, it's going to cost.

No mass market Thai-based "ice cream" producers that I know of are making real honest ice cream, including Walls and Nestle, in particular.

Real ice creams here are coming either from smaller local niche producers like ETE and La Vanille, or from imports like Ben & Jerry's, Haagen Dazs, Movenpick and New Zealand Natural. And in both cases, they're comparatively expensive.

You get what you pay for. If you want cheap, you'll get cheap.

Agree with you about the cheap ice cream that isn't real ice cream.
However being expensive doesn't mean it better though.
I could not find an ingredient list of Swensens Ice cream online.
I guess they have a reason to keep it secret.
Given the expensive price of real cream I guess no one would buy authentic ice cream.
I occasionally buy some cream and make my own ice cream with the double wall salt ice method.
Rather eat a good ice cream only a few times instead of this palm oil slurry

56 minutes ago, CLW said:

I could not find an ingredient list of Swensens Ice cream online.
I guess they have a reason to keep it secret.

I've asked at both Swensen's and Baskin Robbins outlets here in the past. Never been able to get any kind of ingredients list / nutrition labeling info from either of them. Nor even where their ice cream is actually made/produced.

Swensen's at this point, despite its U.S. ice cream origins, is basically a franchising company owned by a multi-brand franchising conglomerate with just a handful (3) of remaining U.S. ice cream locations. It's all international franchising locations now, trading on the brand name.

I think I read something somewhere in the past suggesting that BR Thailand is either importing its ice cream or its ingredients from the U.S., but I don't think I could ever verify that. In short, I have no idea whether the BR sold here is the same or different from the original in the U.S.

If either of them sold their ice cream in retail packaging here like in the supermarkets, presumably they'd have to include an ingredients list and nutrition labels on the package. But, they don't sell that way AFAIK.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

The U.S. Baskin-Robbins corporate website does have a nutrition info page for its U.S. ice cream products, but whether that info applies to their ice creams sold in Thailand is anyone's guess.

https://www.baskinrobbins.com/content/baskinrobbins/en/nutritioncatalog.html/

This following article I found from 2012 makes it pretty clear that the BR company itself was getting out of the business of actually making ice cream, and turning that over to contract manufacturers around the world, presumably, one of those somewhere supplying Thailand.

https://www.foodmanufacturing.com/news/2012/07/baskin-robbins-closing-ice-cream-plant

The company says the closure [of a plant in Canada], slated for October, is in line with its strategy to move completely to third-party companies to manufacture its ice cream.

"Peterborough [the closing plant at that time] is the only remaining manufacturing facility we operate in North America," Peter Laport, vice president of global strategic manufacturing and supply, said in a release. "We believe it makes sense to focus on our core skills of franchising, retail and product innovation, rather than ice cream production."

Currently, the Peterborough plant makes ice cream for about a third of the 4,200 Baskin-Robbins shops outside the U.S.   Ice cream produced there for locations outside of Canada will shift to Dean Foods.

I'm guessing the BR franchise owner for Thailand is using a contract manufacturer somewhere closer to this region, if not in Thailand itself.

This map from a 2013 BR document looks to show that they're not using any Thai-based manufacturer, and that their closest contract manufacturing plants might be India and Vietnam or China. But the exact locations are kind of hard to pinpoint, and the document doesn't give exact plant locations. Nor does it specify what plant is actually supplying Thailand outlets.

5ae2e3040bb19_2018-04-2715_39_39.jpg.d02ad7fcfa9f0dcd79e5359af1331b31.jpg

This document also highlights Dean Foods as one of their main international ice cream manufacturers. Dean is a publicly held company that's listed as the largest dairy company in the U.S. Though all their manufacturing facilities appear to be in the U.S.

5ae2e43b75673_2018-04-2715_48_49.jpg.21c8a4cbdea3cddd7227d2a907df38e4.jpg

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-68SCR9/0x0x660835/7287dd49-7b77-4ab4-be2a-aa20c832d85b/Scott Murphy.pdf

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. Baskin-Robbins corporate website does have a nutrition info page for its U.S. ice cream products, but whether that info applies to their ice creams sold in Thailand is anyone's guess.

https://www.baskinrobbins.com/content/baskinrobbins/en/nutritioncatalog.html/

This following article I found from 2012 makes it pretty clear that the BR company itself was getting out of the business of actually making ice cream, and turning that over to contract manufacturers around the world, presumably, one of those somewhere supplying Thailand.

https://www.foodmanufacturing.com/news/2012/07/baskin-robbins-closing-ice-cream-plant

I'm guessing the BR franchise owner for Thailand is using a contract manufacturer somewhere closer to this region, if not in Thailand itself.

Taken from the Thai Franchise holders website -  http://mudman.co.th/content/businesses/14/2/Baskins-Robbin.html  

Fun Facts Baskin Robbins Thailand

• All Baskin Robbins Ice cream in Thailand are imported from the U.S. and product ingredients are carefully selected to ensure the best quality to our customers.

Baskin Robbins Thailand is run under Mudman Company Limited. Mudman Company Limited acquired the master licensee to run the brand in early July of 2012. Since then the brand has continued to add more retail outlets in Thailand. All Baskin-Robbins ice cream in Thailand is imported and product ingredients are carefully selected to ensure the best quality to our consumers. There are 34 Baskin Robbins stores in Thailand with stores in Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket, Rayong and Hatyai.

13 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Taken from the Thai Franchise holders website -  http://mudman.co.th/content/businesses/14/2/Baskins-Robbin.html  

Fun Facts Baskin Robbins Thailand

• All Baskin Robbins Ice cream in Thailand are imported from the U.S. and product ingredients are carefully selected to ensure the best quality to our customers.

Baskin Robbins Thailand is run under Mudman Company Limited. Mudman Company Limited acquired the master licensee to run the brand in early July of 2012. Since then the brand has continued to add more retail outlets in Thailand. All Baskin-Robbins ice cream in Thailand is imported and product ingredients are carefully selected to ensure the best quality to our consumers. There are 34 Baskin Robbins stores in Thailand with stores in Pattaya, Hua Hin, Phuket, Rayong and Hatyai.

Yep, I was just looking at that. You beat me to posting it. They do apparently source from the U.S., which probably means ice cream made by Dean Foods.

5ae2f17fa2fd3_2018-04-2716_42_53.jpg.f6e057f62f22c545bb07610d16476344.jpg

http://investor.mudman.co.th/misc/ar/20180409-mm-ar2017-en.pdf

Mudman, the company that holds the Baskin-Robbins franchise for Thailand, also holds the franchises for Dunkin Donuts and Au Bon Pain Cafes, as well as owning the Greyhound Cafe operations.

So presumably, the nutrition/ingredients info on the BR US website that I linked to above would cover their ice cream products in Thailand.

• Like 1

Anybody thinking that any global brand will sell real quality food must be totally dumb.

As everybody sells $hit, I prefer to buy it cheap. This is why I do not go to expensive restaurants, as they sell 400 thb the same chicken that i can eat in the street for 60 thb.

On 4/13/2018 at 6:53 AM, chickenslegs said:

Swensen's has something resembling a milk shake, but it may not satisfy your yearning for the ones you remember.

On the positive side, no other franchise has cuter waitresses - Fact!

(IMHO)

SWENSON'S vanilla milk shakes are excellent - real ice cream would be the only difference one might notice.

In Bangkok, there was or still is a milkshake shop in Bangrak on Silom.   Cannot remember whether it was particularly satisfying.   Milk is not a big part of the diet here. 
"Not a big part of the diet".
Reminds me of a story a high school teacher from Khon Kaen told me.
Free milk was supplied free to the children daily (in boxes) but the supplier watered it down substantially to the point where it was unpalatable, so most kids either trashed it or took it home for the pigs.
Went on for a long time, and guess what - nobody said anything. . . .
So even if they drank it, no, milk was not a big part of the diet.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, bheard said:

Free milk was supplied free to the children daily (in boxes) but the supplier watered it down substantially to the point where it was unpalatable, so most kids either trashed it or took it home for the pigs.

would like to hear the other side of the story, and see some independently verifiable evidence, as that is just hearsay.

3 hours ago, torrzent said:
3 hours ago, bheard said:

would like to hear the other side of the story, and see some independently verifiable evidence, as that is just hearsay.

Yes this sounds like absolute nonsense.

Hey, big thanks to the 50% of who actually posted about the original topic.   Some outstanding information there.   Always love reading TallGuy's posts....educational.  Hassle to skim over all the other BS, but see that all the time here.

• Like 1