BKK entry refusal

13 minutes ago, Media1 said:

don't ever let any Thai access your phone. She can look at the floor. lol once they start that crap what you do won't make any difference. Tell her l refuse do to my personal photos are there. Sorry. But as l said l are not working here and never have. You can't be blacklisted because the goose wanted a phone which she has no authority to access.

Tell her can l.look at your personal pictures to. l want look look clowns

6 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Probably unlucky, and maybe, as somebody mentioned, because of his skin color.

And from reports here it seems that at land borders it's generally easier than at the airport.

My current Visa exempt history:

1. (December 2015) air

2. land

3. land

4. air

5. air

6. air

7. air

8. land

9. land

10. air

11. land

12. land

I do usually use close to the maximum number of 30 days and extended 4 of them by 30 days.

So out of about 28 months (since December 2015) i spent nearly 16 months in Thailand on Visa exempts, always for like 2-4 months at a time.

The only thing they ever said to me was that i reached the limit of 2 land border crossings for this year (and last year). Besides of this stamped straight in.

Is the O.P African American? Do these refusals happen every day?

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Probably unlucky, and maybe, as somebody mentioned, because of his skin color.

And from reports here it seems that at land borders it's generally easier than at the airport.

My current Visa exempt history:

1. (December 2015) air

2. land

3. land

4. air

5. air

6. air

7. air

8. land

9. land

10. air

11. land

12. land

I do usually use close to the maximum number of 30 days and extended 4 of them by 30 days.

So out of about 28 months (since December 2015) i spent nearly 16 months in Thailand on Visa exempts, always for like 2-4 months at a time.

The only thing they ever said to me was that i reached the limit of 2 land border crossings for this year (and last year). Besides of this stamped straight in.

They are cracking down on blacks.Call BIG JOKE

Sorry for OP on this one! Hope it works out someway in your favour :) So, to the old hands at this "game", what's the state-of-play? I have just started regular entries and exits to stay with my partner in BKK: plan to leave every 28 days or so by air to Cambodia where I have some work...and always ensure that on return to the LOS I have a booked flight on from Thailand (even if it is back to Phnom Penh). I was hoping these sorts of visa runs (maybe a land crossing etc) could be relatively unproblematic but it sounds as if that's no longer the case? cheers, TM

49 minutes ago, tassieman said:

Sorry for OP on this one! Hope it works out someway in your favour :) So, to the old hands at this "game", what's the state-of-play? I have just started regular entries and exits to stay with my partner in BKK: plan to leave every 28 days or so by air to Cambodia where I have some work...and always ensure that on return to the LOS I have a booked flight on from Thailand (even if it is back to Phnom Penh). I was hoping these sorts of visa runs (maybe a land crossing etc) could be relatively unproblematic but it sounds as if that's no longer the case? cheers, TM

If you're living in Thailand get yourself a non-immigrant visa or extension of stay based on retirement or being married to Thai spouse or something similar.

4 hours ago, tassieman said:

IMO there's 0% risk if you're only in Thailand 180 days a year, so if you do 3 extended visa exemptions per year, 2 extended single entry tourist visas, or 6 unextended visa exemptions. There's no set limit in law but based on anecdotal reports. Preferrably one of the first two to reduce the number of entries you do.

No set limits on what happens if you push it over 180 days, I'd estimate something like this though:

If it's the first year you've ever been in Thailand, add 10% risk of being pulled aside for questioning for every extra month you're in Thailand on top of 180 days, so about 30% risk if you push it to 9 months, 60% if you're trying to stay close to 365 days, etc. So you stand a good chance of being fine in your first year.

Then for following years, 15% risk per month. So now 60% risk if you push it to 9 months a year in Thailand, 90% if you're trying to stay close to 365 days. So you're starting to get quite a high chance of being questioned from year 2 onwards. 

Now, some of the time you're pulled aside for questioning, you do still get let in. Helps if you can show 20k baht, onward ticket out of Thailand, etc., and say you have a Thai girlfriend, that's a good response. Then they say ok well stop doing these visa runs and marry her to stay permanently, you say ok cool and get let in.

Then you apply for a fresh passport and keep doing what you were doing, or go back to making it 180 days per year for a while, to be on the safe side.

The above estimation is if you're white, if you're black / indian I'd double everything and start from 120 days. So OP had about 20% chance of being pulled aside, he'd been in Thailand 120 days in the last 365 (4 previous visa exempts). Quite unlucky to be pulled aside AND denied. Good to hear he was able to get in the next time short after.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jspill said:

Now, some of the time you're pulled aside for questioning, you do still get let in. Helps if you can show 20k baht, onward ticket out of Thailand, etc., and say you have a Thai girlfriend, that's a good response. Then they say ok well stop doing these visa runs and marry her to stay permanently, you say ok cool and get let in.

There are some other viable answers apart from "having a girlfriend that you are planning to marry".

The Thai Department of Employment issued an announcement on March 6, 2015, declaring the types of work-related activities that are not classified as “work” under Thailand’s Alien Working Act B.E. 2551 (2008).1

With immediate effect, the following activities will not require application for a work permit:

1. Attending a meeting, conference, or seminar;
  2. Attending an exhibition or trade fair;
  3. Taking part in a business meeting or business negotiations;
  4. Attending a special lecture or academic lecture;
  5. Attending lectures as part of training or technical training;
  6. Purchasing goods at a trade fair;
  7. Attending a Board of Directors meeting at one’s own company.

Business travelers may come to Thailand using any type of visa (the visa exemption scheme, visa-on-arrival, or a non-immigrant “B” visa) to perform the above-noted activities.  However, it is advisable to strictly limit their activities so they fall into the above list.  A foreigner is still required to apply for a work permit or an urgent work permit if he or she participates in any activities that fall outside the types described above. 

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kylep said:

Arrived in Cambodia. No problem with Phnom Penh airport immigration. Silently stamped me in.

Not black. White from Turks & Caicos Islands but with US passport as I was born on US soil (Miami).

And no, before anyone assumes anything, I don't have the hippie or disheveled look. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking too. 

Cambodia is a lot more welcoming that Thailand.

Good, so what is your next plan?

19 hours ago, jspill said:

IMO there's 0% risk if you're only in Thailand 180 days a year, so if you do 3 extended visa exemptions per year, 2 extended single entry tourist visas, or 6 unextended visa exemptions. There's no set limit in law but based on anecdotal reports. Preferrably one of the first two to reduce the number of entries you do.

No set limits on what happens if you push it over 180 days, I'd estimate something like this though:

If it's the first year you've ever been in Thailand, add 10% risk of being pulled aside for questioning for every extra month you're in Thailand on top of 180 days, so about 30% risk if you push it to 9 months, 60% if you're trying to stay close to 365 days, etc. So you stand a good chance of being fine in your first year.

Then for following years, 15% risk per month. So now 60% risk if you push it to 9 months a year in Thailand, 90% if you're trying to stay close to 365 days. So you're starting to get quite a high chance of being questioned from year 2 onwards. 

Then you apply for a fresh passport and keep doing what you were doing, or go back to making it 180 days per year for a while, to be on the safe side.

The above estimation is if you're white, if you're black / indian I'd double everything and start from 120 days. So OP had about 20% chance of being pulled aside, he'd been in Thailand 120 days in the last 365 (4 previous visa exempts). Quite unlucky to be pulled aside AND denied. Good to hear he was able to get in the next time short after.

I owe you at least 3 beers jspill...this is EXACTLY the sort of intel I was hoping for. Muchly appreciative. Also, I can show Mrs. TM and wake her up to the situation that could occur in the very near future (and resultant expenses and even bans). Also thanks to LKV. Anyway a lot to digest and plan for. Happy times in Cambodia OP... bit more expensive than the LOS but a little less stressful and extortionate, cheers, TM

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Wang Lalker said:

was thinking of coming after songkran but will delay further until these type of reports are past history. immig. definitely dont like me either through no fault of mine

snuck in 30 day visa exempt while no one was looking. no fuss no drama no cash show required, and staff were pleasant and helpful. quite a contrast to my recent previous encounters

• Like 2

On 2018-04-14 at 10:27 AM, Polaky said:

Seems rather harsh, suvarnabhumi   is not as stern as don muang, there has to be a reason other than the tuktuk.

Hmmm, could it be being black while driving   (they might accept touristy picture from a white person - but this is doing a job that a Thai can do)  :shock1:

O face it he had to many 30 day entries in a short period of time. He should have gotten a tourist visa along the way and no problem. If a few of you have not noticed Thailand is cracking down on entries that maybe are being used to work here. I know it is hard for a few of you to except the fact Thailand has started the crack down a few years ago and it has not stopped

On 4/21/2018 at 4:41 AM, gaff said:

And no, before anyone assumes anything, I don't have the hippie or disheveled look. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking too. 

8 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:
On 4/15/2018 at 3:01 PM, Wang Lalker said:

was thinking of coming after songkran but will delay further until these type of reports are past history. immig. definitely dont like me either through no fault of mine

snuck in 30 day visa exempt while no one was looking. no fuss no drama no cash show required, and staff were pleasant and helpful. quite a contrast to my recent previous encounters

oh before anyone assumes anything, I  have perfected my  hippie or disheveled look to a tee. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking.but had my well worn flip flop sandals on

16 hours ago, Wang Lalker said:

oh before anyone assumes anything, I  have perfected my  hippie or disheveled look to a tee. Didn't arrive barefoot if that's what you're thinking.but had my well worn flip flop sandals on

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/05/11/opinion-when-in-rome-or-bangkok-dress-the-part/

For our visiting friends puzzled by or indifferent to this, allow me to voice some Thai sentiments. Outward appearance for a Thai is extremely important. This is how Thais think when confronted with such low-end tourists dressing disrespectfully. It’s acceptable to dress as described when you are in Pattaya or Koh Samui, complete with a beer cooler in one hand and a holiday partner in the other. But city life is another matter.

We are highly concerned about our appearance. It defines who we are in our class hierarchy. Observe the 7am public transport scene on either a local bus or the BTS: office workers dressed immaculately, both men and women equally fashionable. In the evening time, inside low-end street bars, local restaurants or high-end fancy hotels find much the same: We are a nation proud of our style and fashion.

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tony125 said:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2018/05/11/opinion-when-in-rome-or-bangkok-dress-the-part/

For our visiting friends puzzled by or indifferent to this, allow me to voice some Thai sentiments. Outward appearance for a Thai is extremely important. This is how Thais think when confronted with such low-end tourists dressing disrespectfully. It’s acceptable to dress as described when you are in Pattaya or Koh Samui, complete with a beer cooler in one hand and a holiday partner in the other. But city life is another matter.

We are highly concerned about our appearance. It defines who we are in our class hierarchy. Observe the 7am public transport scene on either a local bus or the BTS: office workers dressed immaculately, both men and women equally fashionable. In the evening time, inside low-end street bars, local restaurants or high-end fancy hotels find much the same: We are a nation proud of our style and fashion.

Like the guy in every soi with his t-shirt high showing his belly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

interesting that some of the richest people on the planet have a dress sense similar to mine >>

IMG_0271-Edit.jpg

Chris Wanstrath (left), Github CEO and co-founder; Nat Friedman, Microsoft corporate vice president, Developer Services; Satya Nadella, Microsoft CEO; and Amy Hood, Microsoft Chief Financial Officer.

want to see how rich they are follow this link

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/github-billionaires-will-own-more-microsoft-stock-than-its-ceo

Edited by Wang Lalker

1 hour ago, Wang Lalker said:

interesting that some of the richest people on the planet have a dress sense similar to mine >>

IMG_0271-Edit.jpg

want to see how rich they are follow this link

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-04/github-billionaires-will-own-more-microsoft-stock-than-its-ceo

And ?  They are tech nerds and they are in a casual setting. We have not said that one needs to wear a tux or suit and tie everywhere but to dress appropriately for the situation And for rich types like these I am sure would get a pass just like Red Bull heir and many actors/actress hi-so's get when they have an accident or go somewhere. Below is  same girl but different setting.

aaa.jpg

abcd1.JPG

Edited by Tony125