Help, buy Phone is USA or in Thailand?

BobTH

There are plenty of lower end phone for purchase in Thailand and they tend to come with crappy screens and cameras. If all you want is a phone, buy one of those. But if you truly want to surf the internet and take nice photos, your eyes will thank you for paying more for a nicer quality phone, and for that I would buy in the US.

If you are looking for a tablet, compare prices between Thailand and the US - again the higher quality stuff will be cheaper in the US. The low end tablets will have crappy graphics, be short on memory and just be of lesser quality.

And if you plan on doing a lot of book reading on your tablet, you may want to also consider a Kindle reader. The screen quality is terrific and the battery life, which tends to last weeks instead of hours, is fantastic.

You get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Definitely Thailand, the VAT isn't so onerous and you get a phone that works in Thailand.

USA has different system and their carriers are prone to being controlling and you would need to search for a non-locked phone. I still am sore about an Ex-Verizon phone I had which had many features disabled , wireless hotspotting for example.

Hotspotting is an "Extra Service" with verizon, but once you change the SIM over to the local carrier its unlocked. 

6 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Hotspotting is an "Extra Service" with verizon, but once you change the SIM over to the local carrier its unlocked. 

A phone I still have, which was unlocked carrier wise (select Global Mode), the hot-spotting remains blocked, I am also unable to update software (CDMA mode only). Phone remains in a drawer and I bought a Samsung in Thailand that doesn't block anything and allows the phone to use all it's features.

This is an old phone and perhaps Verizon are less controlling now?

Edited by jacko45k

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

A phone I still have, which was unlocked carrier wise (select Global Mode), the hot-spotting remains blocked, I am also unable to update software (CDMA mode only). Phone remains in a drawer and I bought a Samsung in Thailand that doesn't block anything and allows the phone to use all it's features.

This is an old phone and perhaps Verizon are less controlling now?

See my long winded post on page 2 about todays Verizon. I believe the changes happened/started happening around iPhone 5-ish and involves the FCC. Verizon is still kinda controlling/expensive when using their service, with their SIM installed, on their networks, but once you swap SIM cards its whatever that carriers rules are. Ive got a Verizon iPhone X in hand right now with AIS SIM installed and hot spotting is unlocked and running on AIG 4G network. 

I can swap the Verizon SIM back in when I get to the states and its back to Verizons rules. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobTH said:

I am now leaning more towards a tablet.

There are a lot of inexpensive Chinese tablets available, but many of these need to be ordered on-line for shipment from China or Hong Kong.

https://www.gearbest.com/tablet-pcs/pp_690462.html?wid=21

The least expensive iPad 9.7 (WiFi only, 32 GB) is 11,500 THB incl VAT, which you may be eligible to rebate when flying out of THL. The same unit in the U.S. is $329 (USD, before any applicable local sales tax).

19 hours ago, observer90210 said:

You will soon have the Apple Flagship store in Bangkok....without any hesitation, buy in Thailand...but from a fully reputable seller of course....yes it may cost a few hundred dollars more...but you'll get world class service from the Apple Store and it could avoid warranty issues if needed later on. IMHO

I would not buy in the USA,  or by internet definately not,....to many issues with carriers blocking the phone etc. etc. as mentioned here.......enjoy your trip however at Uncle Sam's and be safe !

This is a tantalizing post.

Are you just speculating or posting with information you know as a fact?

I understand such a thing would be a game changer in that Apple  could open  up policies and options that are only available in countries with an official Apple Store.

2 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I understand such a thing would be a game changer in that Apple  could open  up policies and options that are only available in countries with an official Apple Store.

Apple has a Thailand store online:

https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/browse/home_th_en

No reason to visit a brick & morter shop. Its based out of Singapore and I alot from here. No import tax and no mark ups. 

Just now, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Apple has a Thailand store online:

https://www.apple.com/th-en/shop/browse/home_th_en

No reason to visit a brick & morter shop. Its based out of Singapore and I alot from here. No import tax and no mark ups. 

I'm aware of that and have  bought a few products from the Thailand online Apple Store.

My post was directed to a  member who implied an official Apple Store would be arriving in Bangkok.    I'm wondering how accurate that post is.

P.S.   Any import and tax fees are built into the price of whatever is purchased.

Good luck.

In addition the on-line Apple store - which is as noted, based in Singapore - I am pretty sure that Apple has a number of 'official' authorized resellers, led by Copperwired. I'm not sure of they have an exclusive arrangement (import, service, reseller/VAR)? Copperwired operates most of the iStudio shops you'll find in the upscale malls. Powerbuy is another officially authorized Apple reseller here.

I don't think you can get a VAT refund on purchases from the on-line store, assuming one is eligible for such a refund. Most of the the major shops will issue the appropriate Tourist VAT Refund paperwork. So a visit to a brick and mortar store may be advantageous?

3 hours ago, watcharacters said:

Most recently Apple store employees in the US told me that the company's internal job posting system had a numerous requests for any Thai speaking employees to start up the store in Bangkok. No idea where or when, but it's coming.

7 hours ago, BobTH said:

My apologies and you are correct, I was not clear about what to purchase. I wasn't sure if I would be better off with a smart phone or a tablet of some sort. But after all the excellent replies, including yours I am now leaning more towards a tablet. My parents have WiFi at their homes that I can use and it will get away from the use of SIM cards and if I purchase here I will have warranty protection. So that is my plan since I rarely use a phone anyway. Again thanks for all of the great replies, I learned a lot and took notes on all of them.

You can easily get by with a single device.

Just buy pants with large pockets:

5ad59d568254f_ipadipad.jpg.4720a83350ad7c1768a6a0c1ba692989.jpg

Edited by watcharacters

10 hours ago, elgenon said:

ATT and T-Mobile phones are GSM and will work in Thailand. Get the phone unlocked or have it unlocked in Thailand. Moto phones are recommended as a lower priced phone. Available from Moto or Amazon.

For GSM calling, yes, pretty much everything will that's GSM and not CDMA.

However, the problems arise with LTE data and LTE calling when it comes to U.S. CARRIER-PURCHASED phones or low-end phones with limited LTE bands. Because, as I mentioned above, the primary LTE bands that ATT and TM use are somewhat different than those used by the major Thai mobile companies, which are mostly 1800 and 2100 Mhz LTE, and usually referred to as LTE bands 1 and 3.

But if you're buying a good quality, major brand unlocked phone  in the U.S., then chances are it's going to have all the needed LTE bands for both the U.S. and Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

7 hours ago, BobTH said:

My apologies and you are correct, I was not clear about what to purchase. I wasn't sure if I would be better off with a smart phone or a tablet of some sort. But after all the excellent replies, including yours I am now leaning more towards a tablet. My parents have WiFi at their homes that I can use and it will get away from the use of SIM cards and if I purchase here I will have warranty protection. So that is my plan since I rarely use a phone anyway. Again thanks for all of the great replies, I learned a lot and took notes on all of them.

You can, of course, buy a LTE/3G capable tablet here in Thailand. That's one market segment that's probably cheaper and easier to buy here vs. the U.S.  There just isn't the same kind of mobile data enabled tablet market in the U.S. as here in Thailand, and the U.S. prices tend to be sky high for that segment.

But if you just want/need a wifi tablet, there's lots of choices in Thailand, mostly Android OS. The prices are typically going to be higher than the comparable models in the U.S.  But you'll have the advantage of a local warranty and local service under that warranty. There may be some options in the U.S. for tablets with worldwide warranties in the Android realm, but that's probably hard to find.

Or if you want to shell out a ton of cash, go ahead and buy an Ipad locally here.

For someone wanting to use a lot of GPS, I would NOT buy an Amazon Fire tablet from the U.S., since they typically don't come with A-GPS hardware/chips.  But for internet and viewing content, the Fire tablets are cheap and easy. So cheap, that the warranty issue doesn't really matter. And a good purchase for a U.S. person who's already into the Amazon / Amazon Prime world.

3 hours ago, The Theory said:

Anything orher than Apple better to buy in Thailand.

Why?

I rarely buy personal electronics here in TH like phones and tablets. Always buy from the U.S., my home country, get better selection and better prices for quality brands. The only downside is a U.S. purchase warranty won't usually be valid in Thailand, but the warranty is usually only 1 year anyway, and not a problem if someone travels back to the U.S. at least once during the year anyway.

One thing I do do, however, whenever possible, is to time my U.S. purchases so that I do them, or receive them, when I'm back in the U.S.  That way, if a new product has some flaw or problem right out of the box, I can return it or exchange it right then and there very easily.

The situation you really want to avoid is to buy something from the U.S. while in Thailand, pay to have it shipped to Thailand, open it here and find it's defective. Trying to send back from TH to US is expensive and a headache. Fortunately, I've rarely encountered that kind of situation, in part because U.S. quality control is pretty good.

One time, though, I bought a Motorola phone from Amazon Warehouse (a refurb) and had it reshipped here to TH, only to open it and find they had sent me the wrong model and wrong color from what I ordered. In that case, Amazon reshipped me the correct model at no expense to me AND paid the full price of the return postage for the wrong model they had sent.  Unfortunately, there is no retailer in TH even remotely close to Amazon in its customer service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The situation you really want to avoid is to buy something from the U.S. while in Thailand, pay to have it shipped to Thailand,

Dont reccomend anyone do this, ever, for anything at all unless they know 2000% that customs duty has been taken care of or will be taken care of. 

One thing thailand will get is their customs duties, and they do NOT care how extreme they are.

The only 2 places I know of are Amazon International (specifically kindles to Thailand) and Apple Store Thailand. 

Outside of those 2, there is a huge risk for extreme import duties on electronics (and most anything really). 

2 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Dont reccomend anyone do this, ever, for anything at all unless they know 2000% that customs duty has been taken care of or will be taken care of. 

One thing thailand will get is their customs duties, and they do NOT care how extreme they are.

The only 2 places I know of are Amazon International (specifically kindles to Thailand) and Apple Store Thailand. 

Outside of those 2, there is a huge risk for extreme import duties on electronics (and most anything really). 

You need to learn more about the different ways of shipping goods into Thailand before handing out erroneous advice. I don't think I've ever paid any duty on any small electronics item bought from the U.S., and at most, very rarely, a 7+% VAT tax. The secret to that, in part, is NEVER have those kinds of things shipped by the private couriers like DHL and FedEx, and instead go regular Airmail or USPS Priority.

Also, if you want to quote me, at least have the courtesy to quote me fairly and in contexts of what I actually said, which was the following:

The situation you really want to avoid is to buy something from the U.S. while in Thailand, pay to have it shipped to Thailand, open it here and find it's defective. Trying to send back from TH to US is expensive and a headache. Fortunately, I've rarely encountered that kind of situation, in part because U.S. quality control is pretty good.

And the one situation where I did encounter that is the one I described above, where Amazon sent me the wrong item by mistake, and ended up sending me the correct one as a replacement, AND paid the full expense for sending the mistaken item back to the U.S.  As I noted, show me any Thai retailer that's going to provide service like that.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You need to learn more about the different ways of shipping goods into Thailand before handing out erroneous advice.

Well, I stand by what I typed. 

By all means if any poster wants to risk it and bring in electronics through the post - go ahead and play that game. 

17 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

This is 100% patently false. 

Yes Verizon phones use CDMA, but they are ALSO COMPATIBLE WITH GSM. I have in my hand right now a USA Verizon iPhone X with an AIS 4G SIM card in it and it works flawlessly. Its totally unlocked and I've used it in several GSM countries. 

Without getting into the details of it all, the FCC made a ruling regarding phones and CDMA/GSM Compatibility. You need to read up on it. Everyone here does. Its the main reason I use Verizon phones, this fact, combined with its the largest and fastest network in the USA. 

If you get a GSM phone overseas - they WILL NOT be CDMA compatible. For example if you buy an iPhone from Apple Store Thailand - it will be a 100% GSM phone and will not be useable on any USA CDMA network. If you buy in the USA, specifically from Verizon, it will be compatible in both the USA on CDMA and overseas on GSM. 

There is alot of back and forth between Verizon and the FCC about this and the "locking" thing, but its mostly if you are on a payment plan. Even then, right now the phones are completely unlocked even on a payment plan. 

If you plan to buy a phone outright (which you will surely do if you buy in Thailand) then this is of no worry. 

I would 100% buy the phone/device in the USA - it will be cheaper, and depending on the carrier, 100% unlocked. 

Be careful though, AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM exclusively, so one needs to check and make sure they are CDMA compatible. 

From the Apple USA site:

• Model A1865*
  • FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
  • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
  • TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • Model A1901*

Model A1901 does not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint.

• FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
  • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
  • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

All this above ^ is mostly for someone who travels alot to several countries including the USA and wants only one phone that works everywhere including the USA (my situation). Nothing wrong with buying a cheapie phone for Thailand exclusively. 

This may be the case for an iphone sold by Verizon but it is definitely not the case for the majority of phones sold by Verizon (or Sprint).

Many Android phones from Verizon can be switched from CDMA to Global Mode so that there is enough compatibility with GSM networks to at least make a call or send an SMS on 2G networks. LTE "may" work in Thailand but often it won't because the primary LTE bands are different between Thailand and the US and of course that is dependent on LTE coverage which is far from complete in Thailand. Another problem is that some Verizon branded Android phones lack a UMTS/HSPA modem so have no 3G reception at all.

If you need a data connection in Thailand on a US purchased phone then either AT&T or T-Mobile branded phones are a much safer bet than Verizon or Sprint.

I would agree that in almost all cases a US carrier branded phone will be cheaper than the equivalent carrier agnostic phone in Thailand. But if the US phone is not carrier branded then the difference is much less and in some cases they are actually cheaper in Thailand.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:22 AM, Langsuan Man said:

You will find the market for cell phones is much more limited in the US because of carrier locking.  It has only been in the last several years that you could even buy an unlocked phone in the US, a trend that was primarily jump started by Google when they introduced the Nexus line of smart phones

If it were me, I would look here in Thailand for an inexpensive smart phone, much better selection (there are  Chinese or Taiwanese phones here that are not even available in the US) 

A lot depends upon where you will use the phone the most, in the US or in Thailand.  And don't forget warranty services;  kind of difficult to get any service for a Verizon, used phone when you are here in Thailand 

I saw a Verizon shop in Tukcom in Pattaya. 

18 hours ago, The Theory said:

You can buy iPhone (unlocked) from Apple stores in the US cheaper than Thailand. 

I was pretty surprised at the price difference, which I thought that Apple had addressed years ago; maybe the currency fluctuations have contributed to the differences?

An iPhone 8/64 GB is 28,500 THB ( here, all in ) and $699 (USD), (before any applicable state/local sales tax) in the U.S. The A1863 (GSM variant) might be ideal for PAYG in the U.S., and full LTE support in Thailand? I would probably buy an iPhone directly from Apple, or in an Apple Store.

No clue if the U.S. model would have warranty/service support in Thailand?

I confess to not staying up with the changing mobile landscape in the U.S. - I continue to use T-Mobile PAYG for my brief, multiple return trips, with a U.S.-variant phone - but there are so many options now. TracFone is an MVNO for all the major providers. And there are so many MVNOs offering great deals. Even additional features like Mobile AP ("hot-spotting") are included for free. And plans are all in (inclusive of taxes and regulatory fees). A few friends are on MetroPCS (part of T-Mobile) and are quite happy.

For $40 (USD) all in, you can get 5 GB of LTE (plus additional free video/music streaming), unlimited voice and text. (Note that in the U.S. you 'pay' for both outgoing and incoming calls, so most PAYG plans offer unlimited voice and text.)

T-Mobile even offers a tourist package: 3 weeks, 2 GB, 1,000 minutes, hot-spotting, for $30 (USD). 

The biggest challenge remains matching your phone's capabilities with the available spectrum.

19 hours ago, The Theory said:

You can buy iPhone (unlocked) from Apple stores in the US cheaper than Thailand. 

Anything orher than Apple better to buy in Thailand. 

But there's an issue getting them repaired while in Thailand.     Different systems.

17 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I was pretty surprised at the price difference, which I thought that Apple had addressed years ago; maybe the currency fluctuations have contributed to the differences?

An iPhone 8/64 GB is 28,500 THB ( here, all in ) and $699 (USD), (before any applicable state/local sales tax) in the U.S. The A1863 (GSM variant) might be ideal for PAYG in the U.S., and full LTE support in Thailand? I would probably buy an iPhone directly from Apple, or in an Apple Store.

I confess to not staying up with the changing mobile landscape in the U.S. - I continue to use T-Mobile PAYG for my brief, multiple return trips, with a U.S.-variant phone - but there are so many options now. TracFone is an MVNO for all the major providers. And there are so many MVNOs offering great deals. Even additional features like Mobile AP ("hot-spotting") are included for free. And plans are all in (inclusive of taxes and regulatory fees). A few friends are on MetroPCS (part of T-Mobile) and are quite happy.

For $40 (USD) all in, you can get 5 GB of LTE (plus additional free video/music streaming), unlimited voice and text. (Note that in the U.S. you 'pay' for both outgoing and incoming calls, so most PAYG plans offer unlimited voice and text.)

T-Mobile even offers a tourist package: 3 weeks, 2 GB, 1,000 minutes, hot-spotting, for $30 (USD). 

The biggest challenge remains matching your phone's capabilities with the available spectrum.

There is “no”Apple store in Thailand. 

And if you think of warranty, you better get your iPhone while you are in Thailand. 

18 minutes ago, The Theory said:

There is “no”Apple store in Thailand. 

I was referring to buying an iPhone in the U.S., directly from Apple (on-line or in an Apple store) rather than from another source, like a service provider, MVNO, other retail outlet, if only because there are so many Apple Stores, and buying on-line is quite simple.

Apple does have an on-line store for Thailand - yes, orders are fulfilled from Singapore. And they have a number of officially authorized resellers here.

My sense is that an iPhone purchased in the U.S. might not be eligible for standard warranty (service/repair/replacement) in Thailand, but that's just my guess. Maybe if you have some sort of additional service package (Apple Care; $129 USD for two years, on the iPhone 8) you would be eligible?

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For GSM calling, yes, pretty much everything will that's GSM and not CDMA.

However, the problems arise with LTE data and LTE calling when it comes to U.S. CARRIER-PURCHASED phones or low-end phones with limited LTE bands. Because, as I mentioned above, the primary LTE bands that ATT and TM use are somewhat different than those used by the major Thai mobile companies, which are mostly 1800 and 2100 Mhz LTE, and usually referred to as LTE bands 1 and 3.

But if you're buying a good quality, major brand unlocked phone  in the U.S., then chances are it's going to have all the needed LTE bands for both the U.S. and Thailand.

Thanks for the knowledge. Do you know if the Moto brand phones work in Thailand? They have been recommended by people here.

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Please pardon the ignorance but what is an MVNO?

2 hours ago, elgenon said:

Please pardon the ignorance but what is an MVNO?

Haha, I looked it up before you asked.

A mobile virtual network operator (MVNO), virtual network operator (VNO), or mobile other licensed operator (MOLO), is a wireless communications services provider that does not own the wireless network infrastructure over which it provides services to its customers.