Japanese passenger claims 3 million yen, camera stolen aboard THAI flight

webfact

Japanese passenger claims 3 million yen, camera stolen aboard THAI flight

By The Nation

3474fb4e1b1d60d0c028335378c1a307-sld.jpe

Police are investigating a claim by a Japanese woman that 3 million yen (Bt874,000) in cash and a camera were stolen from her bag aboard a Thai Airways International flight from Tokyo International Airport.

The woman, whose name was withheld, filed a complaint with the Suvarnabhumi Airport police shortly after her flight landed at 5pm on Monday.

The woman, who speaks Thai as she used to live in the kingdom, told police that the Japanese banknotes and her camera were inside her small travel bag. She said she noticed they were missing when the bag passed through the arrival luggage conveyor system at the airport.

She said she planned to carry the bag on board but flight attendants in Tokyo told her to load it into the plane's luggage storage area because there were many passengers and there might be no space for her bag in the cabin.

Kittipong Kittikhachorn, deputy director of the Suvarnabhumi Airport said on Monday that an investigation was taking place but, so far, no irregularities had been detected.

Kittipong said police have collected fingerprints and DNA samples from the bag and compared them with bag handling staff who worked on the shift when the flight landed. Police also checked the rooms of the workers but nothing was found.

He said officials also checked footage of security cameras and there was no evidence of a worker opening the bag. As well, the footage showed that the seal put on the bag at the Tokyo airport was unbroken.

He said authorities at Haneda airport also checked security camera footage and found no irregularities.

Pol Col Wiroj Tadso, commander of the Suvarnabhumi police station, said all the checks had been made in line with the standards of an international airport and no irregularities were detected.

Wiroj said it would take some time to check fingerprints and DNA samples collected from the woman's bag.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343300

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-04-17

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

sounds more like she is trying to get something for nothing out of it, if the seal placed on the bag in Tokyo was still intact then no one had been inside the bag , video backing this up also points to a scam by the passenger. While there are some cases of theft it thai airports this appears to not be one of them and a passenger trying to get their holiday paid for

Are the seals under controlled issue?

6 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Suprised if this is scam by a Japanese national. They usually have high integrity but living in Thailand and being able to speak Thai, she might have 'learnt a lot' during the long years here.

Exactly  !!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

She said she planned to carry the bag on board but flight attendants in Tokyo told her to load it into the plane's luggage storage area because there were many passengers and there might be no space for her bag in the cabin.

Carrying a million baht in cash in person is stupid enough, let alone allowing it to go into the hold. Sounds like this lady didn't mind taking chances, or chancing her luck.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I believe under currency regulations, she would probably have had to declare taking that amount of cash out of a country.

If she didn't declare it, her story becomes even more dodgy in light of the unbroken seal.

Actually she should have declared at check-in any valuable. Without it, very limited liabilities of carrier / airport.

• Like 1

It does go on. If a true story (if and not a scam) she may have not been thinking when they took the bag off her, rush to get on the aircraft etc.

I stupidly (my own mistake) was robbed of £1500 on a Thai Airways flight from Macau to Bangkok. I had it in my backpack and with the rush to depart, get seated etc threw it into the overhead locker and fell asleep. On arrival at home, money gone.

A month later a Chinese gang were arrested for stealing from the overhead lockers on a Singapore Airlines Flight.

An expensive lesson for me, for a moment of not thinking.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Suprised if this is scam by a Japanese national. They usually have high integrity but living in Thailand and being able to speak Thai, she might have 'learnt a lot' during the long years here.

Unbelievable..because she has lived in thailand she has become a scam merchant and all japanese are as pure as driven snow

More racial profiling

2 hours ago, webfact said:

have collected fingerprints and DNA samples from the bag and compared them with bag handling staff

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Wiroj said it would take some time to check fingerprints and DNA samples collected from the woman's bag.

Have they done it or not?

1 hour ago, wkbglobal said:

It does go on. If a true story (if and not a scam) she may have not been thinking when they took the bag off her, rush to get on the aircraft etc.

I stupidly (my own mistake) was robbed of £1500 on a Thai Airways flight from Macau to Bangkok. I had it in my backpack and with the rush to depart, get seated etc threw it into the overhead locker and fell asleep. On arrival at home, money gone.

A month later a Chinese gang were arrested for stealing from the overhead lockers on a Singapore Airlines Flight.

An expensive lesson for me, for a moment of not thinking.

A chinese guy also tried that to my backpack while i was awake and it was right above me. I was watching him opening it from 50 cm distance but he kept on trying.

When we boarded the plane i noticed a guy putting a bag in the compartment above mine but he was seated far in the back of the plane. I thought it was weird to do but guessed he was too lazy to carry it all the way to his seat.

Then during the flight his friend came to our seats and grabbed a bag to show his friend in the back....the friend shaked his head, so he showed another bag from our compartment...no again....then he got mine and just started opening it.

I wanted to knock him down but could behave myself, just when he put his hand in it i stood up and yelled to him to put it back...all surrounding passengers heard it and also told him to duck off....which he did.

At the airport i saw them again, it was 2 men, a woman and a young kid...

After that many of our neighbours grabbed their handluggage and kept it on their lap for the rest of the flight.

Now i have a pack safe backpack...try that again...

2 hours ago, shady86 said:

I guess you do not read all of the stories about crooked Japanese. Sorry but they are just as dishonest as anyone else.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

How did she know anything was missing if 'the Seal' remained unbroken?

That about sums it up 

But ! The CCTV footage would have to show the seal was unbroken right up to the minute she got the bag to prove it may not have been tampered with. Then there would be CCTV of her opening the bag after getting it of the belt & checking

There could always be another scenario (the out of site one ), where there would be time in the planes hold using the tricks of that video clip done on either side of journey or if on the Jap side may have had more seals (but I think the seals would have a matching numbered stub for the passenger )

Edited by BEVUP

I guess you do not read all of the stories about crooked Japanese. Sorry but they are just as dishonest as anyone else.
Of course there are crooks everywhere but I'm talking about majority of them. Japan won't be the safest country in the world for years if there are many crooks there.

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I believe under currency regulations, she would probably have had to declare taking that amount of cash out of a country.

If she didn't declare it, her story becomes even more dodgy in light of the unbroken seal.

Google reveals: if you transport (any currencies, checks, securities or other monies) exceeding 1,000,000 yen worth in Japanese currency into or out of the country then you must complete a customs declaration.

She says she was carrying 3,000,000, so........

• Thanks 2