Shark attack confirmed - officials visit victim and announce counter measures

snoop1130

A mature ( breeding age ) bull shark definitely would have left bigger tooth marks or even would have ripped off the foot.

Most likely a smaller species which has mistaken the foot for something better to eat. Sharks don't hunt humans, they just look constantly for food.

• Like 2

i wonder why they say dont wear red or orange when swimming?  blood color? i would say that better to not pee in the sea or have any cuts that expose smell. apparently sharks have a keen sense of smell

Edited by yogavnture
spelling

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Shark attack confirmed - officials visit victim and announce counter measures

Road carnage, road rage, gun-toting Thais, knife attacks, murders, low balconies, seas like a cesspit, irate taxi drivers, fragile male ego, shark attacks......

There's only one counter-measure needed:  Ban all tourists from Thailand, for their own safety!

During rainy season lots of nutrients washed into coastal waters with an increase in feeding activity by bait fish. This has a knock on effect up the food chain and sharks move closer in. Unless shark has developed a taste for salty and fatty meat the attack is usually to see if we taste good, or as a reflex when scared by a big hairy foot landing on its body. Not sure what preventive measures can be taken. 

NOT a marine biologist or shark expert but dealt with a similar problem 25 years ago in different country. 

16 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

i wonder why they say dont wear red or orange when swimming?  blood color? i would say that better to not pee in the sea or have any cuts that expose smell. apparently sharks have a keen sense of smell

Some research has shown sharks attracted to that colour. Possibly because they have associated food(humans) with it. 

1 minute ago, animalmagic said:

Some research has shown sharks attracted to that colour. Possibly because they have associated food(humans) with it. 

Just to be safe, dress as a Matador.  It puts the fear of god into the sharks!

5 minutes ago, Moti24 said:

Road carnage, road rage, gun-toting Thais, knife attacks, murders, low balconies, seas like a cesspit, irate taxi drivers, fragile male ego, shark attacks......

There's only one counter-measure needed:  Ban all tourists from Thailand, for their own safety!

does seem odd how many killed during Songkran. and now after a decade a guy gets his foot bit in an investigative bite. the thais will kill the sharks. if he bloke was wearing a snorkeling mask he would have been able to see his surroundings and fend off the shark.  maybe they should have given the bloke a blood alchohol test? drinking and swimming dont go well together

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

....wearing a snorkeling mask he would have been able to see his surroundings and fend off the shark. 

Fend off the shark? 

"Aren't you afraid of shark attacks?!"

"Not to worry; I have a snorkeling mask."

"Oh, alright then."

• Haha 1