Need Stable Internet. Can anyone advise?

mommysboy

I've been in Thailand a while and in a few places, and it hasn't mattered too much that the internet is bad. My current 3bb basic package in Surat is ok most of the time, but the speed can drop drastically for a couple of hours.  The ping is always on the high side, and the jitter too.  I've had the line checked out.  The engineer advised me to change to 'go fiber'.

Anyway, I'm now in a situation where I need reasonable stability.

Should I just upgrade my 3bb package?  Or is there another option?

I am generally pessimistic about Thai internet- sorry if it shows.

27 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Long term stability off a domestic service is asking a lot but a change to fiber might help avoid the poor connections on quick fixes .

We depend on internet for our business and found that a redundant back up service was the only way for us to avoid problems.

Thanks for taking the time to post. I take it you mean a service in reserve, so you can switch if one has a problem. 

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Thanks for taking the time to post. I take it you mean a service in reserve, so you can switch if one has a problem. 

Yes a second service for if the primary TOT fails. We actually steal our backup from our neighbours CAT service and pay them a few Baht each month. 

Can also use the phones connection if things got desperate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some members posted to have up to 3 different connections/providers and can switch automatically between them.

If one really depends and willing to pay about 2500 up.

(800 Baht is a typical price for 100/20 fiber).

• Like 1

A   backup service plan is  imperative when using Internet is important to your work or even entertainment 

Also have a phone with 2 sims, one ais and one true move H so I normally have excellent 4G and hot-spot connectivity around  Bkk

• Like 1

Maybe find out what ISPs and services are available? Then talk to neighbors to see what works for them?

We have quite a few customers on 3BB Fiber, mostly 200/100, and we haven't had any issues in a year or three. I'd have no issue recommending 3BB Fiber assuming it's available, with the understanding that things can change at any moment, and service/support might vary by province.

• Like 1

TOT DSL was making me crazy, dropping out, slow speeds. Every couple of weeks I had to call and bitch then it would stabilize for another couple of weeks, then repeat. 

Changed to 3bb fiber when I found out it was available, and have loved life since. Good speed and stable. If you can get it, get it!

OP, call the tech to check your line and go with him to see where your phone line connects to theirs - from my experience, the connection there is made poorly, sometimes they just twist the wires together with their fingers and leave them like that in the open, exposed to the elements, every time it rains, the water can cause shorts and oxidation on the metal reduces connection quality.

take some electrical isolation tape with you, re-do the connection i.e. cut off the oxidized part of the wires and extract new shiny wire and then twist them together again, hard, and use the tape generously and very tightly (air and water tight) around the wires.

I used to have problems every 4 to 6 weeks until I saw what state the "box" was in. No line issues ever since.

• Thanks 1

The problem is known by 3bb.

All 3bb package have the same problem.

Below the overview of problems we have reported

Jasmine engineers did look int the problems and tried solve it.

Based on your story they seem still not have solved it.

As well on our new location we have the same problem as we do have in the other locations and they are the same as you have.

We can not switch because 3BB is the only provider.

Also bank and credit card payment problems then you see something like the man in the middle attack which causes the connection be refused on the bank site.

Also problems with the multi factor authentication of Microsoft or office 365 or google 

Or sms is not received when that is activated because the authentication is not processed correctly.

Above is also reported to 3BB.

On 4/19/2018 at 6:57 AM, johng said:

Just "go fibre"

I have fiber in the Surat (Thani) area, however TOT, and that is also unstable in speed for websites abroad. Before I had 3BB, but ADSL at that time, and that was even worse. Seem to be cause by routers (often the Surat-router due to information for support), and outgoing connections; a higher speed will in general give you higher options, or share, during slow connection, so you don't feel it that much.

There is NO STABILITY in anything in Thailand.

I have Sinet Fiber, 621THB a month. I have had no problems in 28 months.. 

They do repairs in the early morning.

TRUE sucks, bad phone complaint system. It can take 6 calls and 3 days to fix a problem. I had 4 problems with TRUE in 1 year.

The local TRUE office for 9 days told me there was no one in TRUE Thailand that could speak English, that is a lie.

Two months earlier I dialed TRUE at 1167,press 2 for English.

Edited by themerg

Bit late to reply now, but we had True, then TOT, then back to True...then 3BB, with 3BB we went from 20/10 to 40/20, HDSL, VDSL,  then to their ‘International’ package which were all rubbish (in our area). Then on to 3BB fibre this, fibre that, and had the...er, engineers out many, many times, so we recently changed to SINET 100/40 fibre, and it is superb...regularly get well over the 100Mbps, and when it’s ‘bad’, it’s above 80. 

29 minutes ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Bit late to reply now, but we had True, then TOT, then back to True...then 3BB, with 3BB we went from 20/10 to 40/20, HDSL, VDSL,  then to their ‘International’ package which were all rubbish (in our area). Then on to 3BB fibre this, fibre that, and had the...er, engineers out many, many times, so we recently changed to SINET 100/40 fibre, and it is superb...regularly get well over the 100Mbps, and when it’s ‘bad’, it’s above 80. 

Since it was a recent switch then it would seem the jury's still out re: reliability.

I had 3BB 20/4 vdsl that was upgraded to 30/10. After the upgrade,

I was experiencing occasional dropped connections, which progressively increased to 6-8 times a day. The local techs couldn't find the cause and after about 3 visits, I started keeping a log of the times and called 3BB in Bangkok at 1530 expressing my displeasure. I was finally able to convince them that the present cable wasn't able to handle the increased transmission speed. Within 2 days they replace the entire cable from the main control box in the village to my home, problem solved. The call center tech support in Bangkok can diagnose your connection to the router. If something is not right they notify local office with a repair order. 

On 22/04/2018 at 10:51 AM, JSixpack said:

Since it was a recent switch then it would seem the jury's still out re: reliability.

Apparently, so I was told by the engineers, that we are the only ones in our moo baan with Sinet, so it could be quite a while before we see any change. 

We have suffered badly with the big 3, so hopefully you are wrong, and we get good speeds for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the confidence though, or lack of it.

12 hours ago, Scooby and Puppy said:

Apparently, so I was told by the engineers, that we are the only ones in our moo baan with Sinet, so it could be quite a while before we see any change. 

We have suffered badly with the big 3, so hopefully you are wrong, and we get good speeds for the foreseeable future. Thanks for the confidence though, or lack of it.

I'm not wrong about my point about the jury being still out, as you in fact agree. Being the only ones in your moo baan with Sinet proves nothing, really. Wait and see is merely the rational attitude. Maybe it'll be great or maybe the honeymoon will end the worse for your disappointment after setting yourself up. The issue is your confidence, not mine.

I think the reliability mainly depends on where you live and not so much the provider.

Our True 50mb fiber has been very good the app 2 years we had it.

I am thinking about changing to AIS but heard horror stories about them in the Pattaya area so are still thinking about it.

39 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I am thinking about changing to AIS but heard horror stories about them in the Pattaya area so are still thinking about it.

I live in the Pattaya area and had AIS fibre for about 2 and a half years. The first year was excellent, after that it was a nightmare with almost daily phone calls.

I think the problem lies with the area, as people in Bangkok don't seem to have any problems with AIS.

I have now changed to 3BB Fibre 150/50 and so far (about 4 months) have not had any problems.

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I'm not wrong about my point about the jury being still out, as you in fact agree. Being the only ones in your moo baan with Sinet proves nothing, really. Wait and see is merely the rational attitude. Maybe it'll be great or maybe the honeymoon will end the worse for your disappointment after setting yourself up. The issue is your confidence, not mine.

“Wait and see” is all I have anyway. As has anyone with a new supplier.

but by recently, I meant in the last 4 months, so it hasn’t got any worse, in fact it’s got better. Only a few days ago I had 131down, from a 100/40 package.