Is Time Running Out for Thailand’s Elusive Election?

webfact

Is Time Running Out for Thailand’s Elusive Election?

Impatience is growing after multiple delays.

By Erin Cook

BANGKOK: -- Since seizing power in 2014, the Thai junta has dangled the prospect of democratic elections promising the country a chance to make a choice – eventually. After announcing elections and then delaying them several times, longstanding and emergent parties as well as an increasingly fed up millennial generation have signaled an unwillingness to wait much longer. For the junta, which still hopes for the electoral victory of a military-leaning political party, further delays risk inciting the very upheaval it promised to stamp out.

The influence of ousted sibling prime ministers Thaksin Shinawatra and Yingluck Shinawatra still looms heavy over the Pheu Thai Party (PTP), despite them living in self-imposed exile and technically holding no official title within the party. The pair have traveled through Asia in recent months drawing the ire of the junta following reports of PTP members meeting governments abroad. In February, the government said legal officials were investigating the reports for possible violation of the constitution, which forbids “outsiders” from having any influence on political parties.

PTP immediately denied any involvement of the Shinawatra clan in the political doings of the party, saying any meetings were merely social affairs. Plans to have Thaksin appear via video link during Songkran festivities at the start of the month were abandoned, with senior PTP figure Watana Muangsook telling The Bangkok Post the party wanted to safeguard its own existence and not invite further scrutiny from the junta.

Full story: https://thediplomat.com/2018/04/is-time-running-out-for-thailands-elusive-election/

-- THE DIPLOMAT 2018-04-20

Begin to realize that the junta will never again give up the power, in case of election is already clear by decree that 25% of the parliament must be reserved for the military, by that big power will the junta continue to indirectly reign. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, peperobi said:

Begin to realize that the junta will never again give up the power, in case of election is already clear by decree that 25% of the parliament must be reserved for the military, by that big power will the junta continue to indirectly reign. 

Think you have mixed up Myanmar and Thailand. 

10 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I am sure that there will be more and more delays of the 'election' - for some of the reasons (excuses) that other posters have mentioned. I am also sure that eventually there will be exasperated outbreaks of protest and violence against the junta. The big question is: will it be on a huge scale? I very much doubt that. In fact, it will be just enough (20,000 - 30,000 people protesting on the streets, maximum)  to 'justify' even further repression of the populace.

It seems to me that, by and large, all the fight has been knocked out of the Thais. They have now become totally inured to just taking it, taking it, taking it. So: if they just carry on taking it - they will get more and more of the same.

As the Thais themselves like to say: 'Up to you!'

Agreed. Under the circumstances, why would the junta not think that as the people have settled for nothing so far, they won't settle for nothing again?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time is also running out with the election requirement that parties are  required to conduct a primary election among their members to select those running for House seats. This will be particularly burdensome for small parties. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318379 

Of course even primaries can't be held until the NCPO allows political activities.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Anak Nakal said:

I see Thai people quiet + wai, quiet + wai, quiet + wai.

Then explode. BOOM!

Why you think now different? 

Thai people quiet quiet quiet BOOM!

It thainess

You are right. But the Thais have been quiet now for an awfully long time -  4 years, to be exact. No sign of anything like a 'boom' yet - and that is after literally daily insults to their dignity and liberty.

I doubt that there will be a sonic 'boom'. Maybe just a muted and disgruntled 'pop'!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You are right. But the Thais have been quiet now for an awfully long time -  4 years, to be exact. No sign of anything like a 'boom' yet - and that is after literally daily insults to their dignity and liberty.

I doubt that there will be a sonic 'boom'. Maybe just a muted and disgruntled 'pop'!

For there to be a real boom, there must be hope for a good alternative. I doubt the current alternatives are good enough for the Thais to risk their lives for. Only if they can gain a lot will they explode, the PM now is pumping money into the village funds.. the local leaders are getting their cut.. they will make sure there is no boom or that money stops. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Eligius said:

The Arab Spring started with a fruit seller getting pissed off; it is worth remembering that. I can't say that a similar thing will happen here, but I'll maintain my faith in the Thai people as they have fought for their political rights before. 

My reading is that the Thai people aren't happy. And unhappy people aren't predictable.

PS I don't really accept the 4 year period; The Thai people were showing their respect for the Funeral and Mourning. However, that has passed now.

• Like 1

In my view, there is no prospect at all of an election next year, turkeys do not generally want to have an early Christmas. What is surprising to me (but perhaps not, given what I know about Thais and Thailand), is that people are discussing what I fear will be just another delayed date and just another broken promise at all. Just another futile discussion point for people who just love to discuss futile or meaningless points.

In my opinion, the only thing that will bring on an election is a lot of high-order violence against this illegitimate government, and since they've got the guns and 300,000 semi-intelligent muppets who can be counted on to do as they're told, I don't think that will happen. Army training is designed to bring about automatic obedience, not social conscience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

there will not be sufficient power for any spark to detonate MASS resistance

Wait till May when the activists resume their protests. Protests will be held every Saturday culminating in big demonstrations from 19-22 May; 4th year anniversary of the coup. Let’s see how the junta overreact and made foolish mistake that will ignite the spark. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Wait till May when the activists resume their protests. Protests will be held every Saturday culminating in big demonstrations from 19-22 May; 4th year anniversary of the coup. Let’s see how the junta overreact and made foolish mistake that will ignite the spark. 

Fingers crossed...