Africa's last absolute monarch renames Swaziland as 'eSwatini'

webfact

Africa's last absolute monarch renames Swaziland as 'eSwatini'

2018-04-19T194406Z_2_LYNXMPEE3I1W8_RTROPTP_3_UN-ASSEMBLY-SWAZILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO - Swaziland King Mswati III addresses the 72nd United Nations General Assembly at U.N. headquarters in New York, U.S., September 20, 2017. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

MBABANE (Reuters) - Swaziland's King Mswati III, Africa's last absolute monarch, said on Thursday he was officially renaming the country as the Kingdom of eSwatini.

He announced the change to eSwatini, meaning "land of the Swazis", in the local Swati language at Golden Jubilee celebrations of the 50th anniversary of Swazi independence and of his 50th birthday.

The king has referred to the "Kingdom of eSwatini" several times in recent years - in an address to the UN General Assembly in 2017 and at African Union and other international conferences.

Addressing a large gathering in a stadium in the second city of Manzini, 40 km (25 miles) east of the capital Mbabane, the king said Swaziland was reverting to the original name it had before being colonised by the British.

The impoverished southern African nation - a member of the Commonwealth - gained independence from Britain in 1968.

"I would like to announce that from today onwards, our country will be known as the Kingdom of eSwatini," the king said.

He said the name "Swaziland" had caused confusion. "Whenever we go abroad, people refer to us as Switzerland," the king said.

The king, who wore a red and black military uniform and rode in an open car into the stadium, said he wanted his country to have a name people could identify with.

Most of the king's subjects eke out a living in agriculture, often cultivating sugar. There is widespread poverty in a country with the world's highest HIV/AIDS rate.

Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen attended the event while on a visit to a country which is one of the few to maintain diplomatic ties with Taiwan rather than Beijing.

It is Tsai's first trip to Africa since assuming the presidency in 2016.

(Writing by James Macharia; editing by Andrew Roche)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-20

24 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Has Mswati been drinking from the same punch bowl as Trump?

If memory serves me well, King Mswati was the guy who had the prettiest virgin girls parade in front of him, topless, so he could pick out his favorite dozen or so, for...... (fill in the blanks).

that sounds even better than a go go tbh,

just wondering, how does one set up such a biz ?

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

Has Mswati been drinking from the same punch bowl as Trump?

If memory serves me well, King Mswati was the guy who had the prettiest virgin girls parade in front of him, topless, so he could pick out his favorite dozen or so, for...... (fill in the blanks).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

If memory serves me well, King Mswati was the guy who had the prettiest virgin girls parade in front of him, topless, so he could pick out his favorite dozen or so, for......

And if was in the same position, I would do exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

In related news, Australia announced it was changing it's name to Boganalia (meaning land of the Bogans) so as to not be confused with Austria ... :sorry:

That could be a start to taking away the confusion of many ladies throughout SouthEastAsia.

"Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen attended the event while on a visit to a country which is one of the few to maintain diplomatic ties with Taiwan rather than Beijing. "
:smile::smile:

Yes, this is a country that 'reckons' that the Republic of China (Taiwan) is China. They don't reckon that the Peoples' Republic of China is China.  :smile:

35 minutes ago, tonbridgebrit said:

"Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen attended the event while on a visit to a country which is one of the few to maintain diplomatic ties with Taiwan rather than Beijing. "
:smile::smile:

Yes, this is a country that 'reckons' that the Republic of China (Taiwan) is China. They don't reckon that the Peoples' Republic of China is China.  :smile:

As did the USA until the late 70s. Country's do whatever serves their political purpose.

Doubt if this name change will boost tourism. Who wants to go there?

I wonder if they pay annual  subs to the UN , same as  white nations or are they just freeloading?

Austria and Australia are the most commonly confused expecially in Asia. Doubt if anyone would confuse

Switzerland with a third world rubbish tip country in Africa.

England will be the next....Englanistan.

8 minutes ago, lanista said:

Doubt if this name change will boost tourism. Who wants to go there?

I wonder if they pay annual  subs to the UN , same as  white nations or are they just freeloading?

Austria and Australia are the most commonly confused expecially in Asia. Doubt if anyone would confuse

Switzerland with a third world rubbish tip country in Africa.

England will be the next....Englanistan.

So why invoke  "white" nations exactly? Are "white" nations the only nations that pay dues to the UN? I remember that the old South Africa used to categorize Japanese visitors as "honorary white people". Do you miss those good old days?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Confused between Switzerland and Swaziland?  I think looking at the citizens would give a clue...?

Not sure it would make a difference to most Americans......:coffee1:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Yeah, look into faces. The eSwatinians have a smile all over their faces because the reed dance is coming up on August 27th and lasts until September 3rd. The others are the Swiss ....... grouchy looks because = no reed dance; simple as that! 

Funny. I assumed they were ahead in the internet or something. Email etc.