What foods / drinks do you feel you're "addicted" to?

Jingthing

On 4/20/2018 at 1:09 PM, Jingthing said:

Almonds

5 a day. Easy to do. 

Not a strong addiction, but why not?

exactly 5 per day, JT?

sounds suspiciously OCD or maybe even ASD...

welcome to the brotherhood of undiagnosed autistics...

I recently bought a 500g bag of 'Heritage' raw almonds at makro and just pour out a handful...not bad...haven't had the chance to establish an 'almond routine' yet...

I also like a liverwurst sandwich (the TGM product at tesco is quite nice) with mayo and tabasco when I can find it...had one today fer brekkie instead of my usual pork mama noodles...morning routine: nescafe with whole milk, pork mama noddles and then the first vodka of the day...must pour the hot water into the coffee crystals first, then into the noodles...if not in that sequence there's bound to be bad luck not far away...

Edited by tutsiwarrior
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

exactly 5 per day, JT?

I recently bought a 500g bag of 'Heritage' raw almonds at makro and just pour out a handful...not bad...haven't had the chance to establish an 'almond routine' yet...

I also like a liverwurst sandwich (the TGM product at tesco is quite nice) with mayo and tabasco when I can find it...had one today fer brekkie instead of my usual pork mama noodles...morning routine: nescafe with whole milk, pork mama noddles and then the first vodka of the day...

Yes, exactly five per day.

But it's even more so.

On mornings without cereal, I just eat all five.

On mornings with cereal, I eat one and then four go into the bowl.

I agree it's "suspiciously" something. 

But  I could be much worse. Imagine if I felt the need to count the exact number of PUMPKIN seeds I was eating daily!?! Uh oh. Hadn't thought of that before. What's a lucky number? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

Of course I use the word addicted loosely.

Coffee is an example of a common drink that actually is physically addictive. Stop it and many people will literally have physical withdraw symptoms. (I do when I stop.)

Other things may be more like, it just doesn't feel right not to have it daily or often, but no actual physical symptoms of withdrawal. 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Jingthing said:

My list --

Bananas

(Top banana for me, no contest. I feel a strong need for one regular sized banana daily, in the morning, or multiple small bananas. I haven't missed my daily banana in several years. I'll eat them over-ripe, ripe, or under-ripe but prefer ripe. It's a challenge to always have an edible banana ready but I've met the challenge.)

Coffee

(Large cup in the morning. Physically addicted. It's easy to meet this need, unless bananas.)

Avocado

Not daily but feel bad if I don't have some at least 2 or 3 times a week. When in local season, more often than that. I have a number of avocado recipes ready. These can be cheap or very expensive depending on the season. I will eat Thai non-Haas ones if I must, but of course prefer Haas style ones, imported or Thai. There are periods of the year where there are cado droughts. 

Almonds

5 a day. Easy to do. 

Brazil Nut.

One. Sometimes a challenge to stock. Don't buy too much as they rot over time. 

Pumpkin seeds (Pepitas)

A tablespoon daily. Not a strong addiction, but why not?

Booze

One drink daily. Skip fairly often without any pain.

Either one small San Mig Lite or one shot glass of Vodka.

On special occasions, 100 percent agave TEQUILA, multiple shots. :partytime2:

Some good habits/addictions there Jing, all good for you

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:15 PM, simoh1490 said:

If you haven't already done so, try a bag of Tulip brand cocoa powder, it's 100% cocoa powder with nothing added and can be found in the bakery goods section of supermarkets, the product is intended for baking but using it for drinking purposes means all the usual additive rubbish is not present. the web says this about 100% pure cocoa:

"Theobromine is a chemical relative of caffeine but is not a nervous system stimulant. Theobromine dilates the cardiovascular system making the heart's job easier. This is one of the major reasons why cacao is an important part of a heart healthy diet. Contrary to popular opinion, cacao is a poor source of caffeine".

To add: I drink cocoa because it is low in caffeine, I had to give up tea and coffee hence it's a good substitute.

even better ...................100 cocoa. mixed with dessicated coconut............then add a pinch of pomegranate powder for tang...........add banana............and green tea for heaven

Like mature Cheddar cheese (Somerset boy) and bring it back each trip. Too expensive here except big blocks of unfortunately mild Anchor from Makro, and buy their Parmesan blocks as well for pasta.

Pork pies, never liked them much in UK but have to have one each time I return to UK, with Branston pickle. Local ones don't compare. Same for Cornish pasties, that I grew to love later in Falmouth, and earlier from my first wife being Cornish. 

Real breakfast sausages and black pudding, not frankfurters (especially the chicken ones) that you get given here!

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, exactly five per day.

But it's even more so.

On mornings without cereal, I just eat all five.

On mornings with cereal, I eat one and then four go into the bowl.

I agree it's "suspiciously" something. 

But  I could be much worse. Imagine if I felt the need to count the exact number of PUMPKIN seeds I was eating daily!?! Uh oh. Hadn't thought of that before. What's a lucky number? 

Are you addicted to almonds and pumpkin seeds, or are you eating them for the health benefits (as I do).

When I read your original post and saw that you ate almonds and pumpkin seeds daily, I questioned the use of the word "addicted".  These two foods are both excellent for you....but be honest here, if they didn't have superior health benefits, or worse, were actually bad for you, would you eat them?  I wouldn't.  Both almonds and pumpkin seeds have what I'd call something of a neutral taste and aren't sweet, moorish or even particularly tasty.  I eat them purely for the health benefits and I wonder if that might be the case with you too?

Now on the topic of addictive foods, for me it is chocolate.  If there's chocolate in the house I will eat it.  Ditto ice-cream.  I struggle to exercise self-control with chocolate or good ice-cream.

Edited by mstevens

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Have you tried the NZ Mainland Vintage cheddar...........IMO very good.

Excellent cheese indeed.  Is it currently available in supermarkets in Bangkok?  It's been out of stock here in New Zealand since late last year and will not be available again until next month.

2 hours ago, mstevens said:

Excellent cheese indeed.  Is it currently available in supermarkets in Bangkok?  It's been out of stock here in New Zealand since late last year and will not be available again until next month.

Interesting............actually haven't seen it here (Big C) for a while now you come to mention it. Will scout around in Tops!

9 hours ago, mstevens said:

just bought some Mainland 'Vintage' cheddar at the Suphanburi big Lotus/tescos...sometimes it's available at makro...

haven't seen the 'Epicure' cheddar around for a while now...Mainland also do a milder cheddar called 'Tasty' which is also quite nice if ye can't find the other two also available recently at tescos...all three available in 250g blocks...

Mainland is as good as any US or canadian west coast sharp (mature) cheddar and better than most english cheddar that I've tasted, IMO...Tillamook (US) and Anderson Valley (CDN) sharp cheddars come to mind...

• Like 2

just bought some Mainland 'Vintage' cheddar at the Suphanburi big Lotus/tescos...sometimes it's available at makro...

haven't seen the 'Epicure' cheddar around for a while now...Mainland also do a milder cheddar called 'Tasty' which is also quite nice if ye can't find the other two also available recently at tescos...all three available in 250g blocks...

Mainland is as good as any US or canadian west coast sharp (mature) cheddar and better than most english cheddar that I've tasted, IMO...Tillamook (US) and Anderson Valley (CDN) sharp cheddars come to mind...

Yep , just seen Vintage and Tasty in Big C ( Ayutthaya ) for 182 - 189 baht.
It’s very good cheese ( IMHO ), and will probably buy some when my stockpile from the UK is depleted !!

when in the middle east I was addicted to fresh salads (romaine and tomato) with feta which was cheap as chips, USD3.0 per kilo for the egyptian stuff in bulk at the deli counter, eat with nice fresh arabic bread...just right...

recently at the big changwat tesco I found a local feta, 'Caroline' brand (200g net package) that ain't half bad and not too dear as it's local...eat with the packaged tesco salad greens with a sliced tomato and not bad...no arabic bread, though...

if ye like feta check it out...

11 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

recently at the big changwat tesco I found a local feta, 'Caroline' brand (200g net package) that ain't half bad

Will check that out here as some of the Feta here is abysmal (and expensive).

On 21/04/2018 at 9:43 PM, tutsiwarrior said:

exactly 5 per day, JT?

I also like a liverwurst sandwich (the TGM product at tesco is quite nice) with mayo and tabasco when I can find it...had one today fer brekkie instead of my usual pork mama noodles...morning routine: nescafe with whole milk, pork mama noddles and then the first vodka of the day...must pour the hot water into the coffee crystals first, then into the noodles...if not in that sequence there's bound to be bad luck not far away...

I eat 20-40 a day.

5 is an odd number.

On 21/04/2018 at 12:16 PM, elgenon said:

Brazil nuts have selenium. Best not to eat too many anyway. I also like them. Usually not many in a mixed nuts container.

Selenium is good for you. Hard to overdose on it via regular foods.

Must have every day

Coffe

Banana

Nuts

Youghurt

Milk

Oat

Protein powder

Green mango

tomato

Assorted vegetables and fruit

Vegetable juice With soda water

Must have Weekly

Cheese

Bread

Egg

Fish

Pizza must have one time a week. Double cheese or meat lover kind of. 

Assorted meat

Coconut

Wine Gums, Sports Mixtures, Rowntrees Fruit Gums, Midget Gems, Waitrose Sour Pastels....the best Sweets in the world...(you can buy then in TOPS)....er...er...... not TOPS...er er I meant sorry they don' sell them here :thumbsup:.

Cider, Vodka.....How long have we got????:laugh:

etc., etc.

Oh yeh...forgot to mention "Proper English Indian Curry".....if you are from the UK you will know what I mean!

English and Danish Bacon (equally good) and English white loaf....Preferably Warburtons.

If you are not from the UK you will not have a "Ducking" (miss the moderators :thumbsup:) clue what I am talking about.....same as me after consuming most of the above in large quantities....especially Voddo.....Just had to correct a typo...I wrote Voodoo...I quite like it, but kicked that bad habit after a run in with a doll:laugh:

Edited by Mario666