Second hospital for prisoners approved for Chatuchak near first hospital

snoop1130

Second hospital for prisoners approved for Chatuchak near first hospital

By The Nation

e76c3054208eb4a758de1a72a28903f7.jpeg

File photo

A 12,968-square metre plot of land in Bangkok’s Chatuchak district has been earmarked for construction of a second Medical Correctional Hospital to provide quality medical care to inmates as well as to the general public, following Deputy PM and Justice Minister ACM Prajin Juntong’s approval to the plan.

The land plot is located within the same area of the Lat Yao corrections facility compound on Ngam Wong Wan Road where the country’s first – and so far only – Medical Correctional Hospital can be found.

The proposed hospital – which requires a Bt1.5 billion budget to build – is intended to help elevate the standard of medical treatment provided to inmates and to share the workload now borne by the first hospital of its kind, said Corrections Department chief Pol Colonel Narat Sawettanan.

The Royal Thai Police has provided advice on the layout for the proposed hospital for safety and security reasons, as the facility would also provide medical treatment to the public, he said.

“This is a new dimension, as the Corrections Department’s work in developing medical treatment for inmates has reached the point where people in the outside society could learn about how inmates are treated, boosting the department's transparency and good image,” he added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30343587

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-4-20

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

If they can maintain the same standard as other govt hospitals, I'd go there if my fees would help out a poor sould behind bars...

Admirable compassion, but very dangerous and I would be disappointed to see a kind person suffer or die because of a misjudgement. Here's why;

- Thai prisons hold a  high concentration of infectious class prisoners. This reflects the cramped conditions and the fact that a large number of inmates are incarcerated for  drug offences. Toss in the impoverished  backgrounds that were bereft of primary medical care and one has an at risk population.

- Many of these prisoners are infected with TB, HIV, hepatitis, GI tract infections,  and Staph. A.   And of course many are infested with lice, both general and pubic aka crabs.  The reliance on pills and potions to treat symptoms without verifying the  infection has created super bugs, aka resistant bacteria and these prisoners are reservoirs.  Others have some serious mental illness. 

I wouldn't want to go  anywhere near a facility that had a high concentration of high risk patients for the simple reason that the likelihood of me  being exposed to a deadly illness at the hospital is significantly higher than at a standard out patient facility.  Also the medical practitioners are not going to be the best. These will be the people who  bungled at other hospitals, the new inexperienced graduates and those who are  unemployable at a quality hospital. No one wants to work with prison inmates because the risk of infection and violence just isn't worth it. Inmates have a bad habit of attacking health care workers.