British charity worker feared being raped in 40-day Thai prison nightmare

webfact

He should have known that trying to help someone in Thailand will frequently end unfavourably. The man is no more a "kidnapper" than I am, but Thai law has a number of problems that will never be addressed under current conditions.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KhunFred said:

He should have known that trying to help someone in Thailand will frequently end unfavourably. The man is no more a "kidnapper" than I am, but Thai law has a number of problems that will never be addressed under current conditions.

All ends well in the end the father gets his son back , the charity worker writes a book, and the mother get her ransom money and im sure some tea money got paid everyone's a winner .

The child the most important thing in this case is where he should be.  

• Thanks 2

Some off topic bickering posts have been removed, please stop attacking each other now and discuss the topic:

British charity worker feared being raped in 40-day Thai prison nightmare

I can read outside of your anecdotes, I can read about the 90's prison reform, I can read the reports from the charities working to reduce HIV transmission in Thai prisons, I can read the blogs of current Thai prisoners, all of which actually count for more than a little more that your short holiday.  Did you really think a few days in the prison made your experiences more valid than all the other peoples I am reading, for all we know you're just making it all up for attention anyway.
Share some blogs to read.

5 minutes ago, Xaos said:
1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

I can read outside of your anecdotes, I can read about the 90's prison reform, I can read the reports from the charities working to reduce HIV transmission in Thai prisons, I can read the blogs of current Thai prisoners, all of which actually count for more than a little more that your short holiday.  Did you really think a few days in the prison made your experiences more valid than all the other peoples I am reading, for all we know you're just making it all up for attention anyway.

Share some blogs to read.

http://garygraemejones.blogspot.com/

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/category/blogs/

2 hours ago, asean said:

Agree with you completely. Spent years working in Thai prisons and never heard of rape. As someone said before he is trying to make some money fro BS

And of course, had he never heard about the so-called "Prison Gayness" where inmates are trying to find ways to enjoy different ways of getting sexually satisfied than the usual masturbation. 

There are various researchers about male inmates who have sex with men while in prison, but they'd never do that when back in freedom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kieran00001 said:

What, listening to people who work in the prison service and the prison service themselves is dumb, we should listen to people who spent a few days in there instead, that makes sense, because you know so much more about it, right?  So tell us, what was the purpose of the reform in the late 90's?  What is the purpose of separating gay and straight people in some Thai prisons'?  What is the current policy on access to condoms in Thai prisons, why is that the policy and what was the event that changed that policy?  If you cant answer all of these questions then I am going to stick with my other clearly more knowledgeable and reliable sources, OK?

And what's the purpose of your post? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jenny2017 said:

And of course, had he never heard about the so-called "Prison Gayness" where inmates are trying to find ways to enjoy different ways of getting sexually satisfied than the usual masturbation. 

There are various researchers about male inmates who have sex with men while in prison, but they'd never do that when back in freedom. 

Q: Is there any rape in the prison? A: There is, but not as much as before. This can get inmates into trouble so they use persuasion. On the other hand, illegal immigrants are easy targets because they speak a different language and are held for only 48 days.

http://www.thaiprisonlife.com/frank-lombard/tales-of-prison-life-a-male-convict-tells-all/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jdiddy said:

Bloke was either paranoid about rape because of all the jokes and media about it thus suffered delusions or he mentioned it offhand in the interview and the media blew it out of proportion like they usually do for an attention grabbing headline

His former fellow inmates should sue him for defamation, especially after the book comes out.

Just now, Scouse123 said:

I am not doing this for you but for the benefit of other TV members who are not rude and to prove I am neither making it up and my posts are factual and truthful. I have already proven that prisoners have keys to their cells in a link I have provided you with two times.

Next, the photographic evidence you provided means nothing. You show a cell ripped and torn, who did it? You show a dirty unclean toilet, who did the mess? You show a cell filthy and full of graffiti, again, who was responsible for this?? The answer to all three questions= The Inmates. or do you expect the officers to go and clean the pigsties that some of these inmates choose to live in?

There were two riots that took place at HMP Moorlands, one was in 2005 and the other in 2010. Both occurred at HMP Moorlands CLOSED PRISON. So, what do you call not so long ago? One was 8 years ago and the other 13 years ago.

HMP Moorlands most certainly was an open prison especially in 2010, that is the time period I refer to.

At that time, there were two prisons very close by to each other, there was HMP Moorlands closed and HMP Moorlands open which also had a YOI wing. (Young offenders institution ). HMP Moorlands has since been renamed HMP Hatfield. It is below in black and white from Wikipedia.

I enclose a link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Prison_Moorland

Hello Scouse123, I've never been in prison so have no clue, but I think what you've presented based on your own experiences is convincing enough. Certainly more convincing by a long shot than people reaching a conclusion through googling something. Not only does the chap in the article sound like he's exaggerating, the quality of the report is probably one of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen in a news report. I'm not saying doing time in a Thai prison would be anything other than a bad experience, but I expect books written by former foreign inmates in Thai prisons are often sensationalized because, after all, no one will publish a book if it's not gonna sell. I have no idea why member Kieran has such a bee in his bonnet over this. As I said, I've never been incarcerated but once met a Scandinavian guy in BKK who did a spell in a Thai jail and who also told me that although it was squalid, he never heard of anyone being raped. He told me one of the hardest things he found was coping with the boredom. He wasn't too impressed with food either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Jenny 2017,

Well said.

Also, there is absolutely no need for a Thai man to force himself sexually on anybody. There are many willing partners that he can take for a few cigarettes or some food, both ladyboys, and young males are willing partners. There are always young men who don't get visits or supplies from poor families, that is how they survive but they wouldn't do it outside in the main!

He certainly does not need to focus his attention on some podgy middle-aged farang.

Well formulated, thanks. :smile:

8 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

Did you actually read the article in the Birmingham paper?

Also, <deleted> can you kidnap your own kids!? If his wife had a valid grievance I'm sure she could inform the authorities through the British Embassy.

His son probably has the potential to have a much better life in the UK anyway.

The article is slanted and misleading for their readers.  He came to Thailand to intentionally kidnap a kid and take him illegally back to UK. He got caught and punished. If a Thai man did the same in the Uk you would be saying the Thai man got what he deserved. 

IMO. I hate the way prisons are run but he should have gone to prison for a while for attempted kidnapping. He thinks he is a hero like some Robin Hood sort of guy. To me he is dangerous and arrogant and I am happy he was released and happy he spent time in prison. 

The newspaper printing the story is simply trying to sell papers and clicks 

to their desired audience and appear like they are righteous and virtuous. 

9 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Every word you say is right; either he's lied to the British press or they have exaggerated it for dramatic effect.

Perhaps as a PR stunt with a view to enhancing further kidnappings for other distraught parents ( via increased fees perhaps due because of this cases hardship)

Edited by farcanell

11 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I visit the prisons regularly and I have never in 10 years heard of anyone getting raped. There are plenty of obliging lady boys in there, so no need. While I agree conditions are squalid, the suggestion of stinking and stagnant water for washing, I also do not believe for a second. 5 years for a lighter? 5 years for fighting? Utter rubbish. To my mind the fella, who admittedly has been through a nasty experience, is now embellishing the story for all it is worth. I am sure he has his own reasons for that, but it still doesn't make it true. Any respect I had for him has gone.

Agree with you and also in the article it says he expected to get 5 years. Which depending on what charges they bring against him could be correct, but we all know if you plead guilty you will get half.

It seem this guy has no clue how Thailand works, if you are going to enter into another country to rescue someone you should be familiar with the place or have contacts in the place to know how to handle situations. 

Unless the mother had really good contacts he could have played the game and would have been out of Thailand!!

12 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Can't take the time.. don't do the crime.

Really, looking at him I don't think he needed worry about being raped in the prison. 

:cheesy::cheesy:  he actually looks like a larger image of he Character "Mini-Me"

• Like 1

Just now, Voodoochile said:

NONSENSE! some people deserve even worst

The guys in India that recently gang-raped an 8 year old girl over a 5-day period and then murdered her springs to mind. In one report I read on it, when one of the guys was about to bash her head in with a rock to kill her after the fifth day, one of his friends told him to wait so he could rape her one more time. Not sure there's such a thing as a punishment nasty enough for that.

• Like 1

terrible

7 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

The guys in India that recently gang-raped an 8 year old girl over a 5-day period and then murdered her springs to mind. In one report I read on it, when one of the guys was about to bash her head in with a rock to kill her after the fifth day, one of his friends told him to wait so he could rape her one more time. Not sure there's such a thing as a punishment nasty enough for that.

Terrible. For me the closest thing to justice Would be to hand them over Shackled to the girls family and let them have there way with them. I Would Truly love that

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

She would not have been allowed to leave the UK without a legal claim over her son, but I agree it wasn't the right way to do it, and as you believe this then why are you supporting someone doing the same in Thailand instead of using their "valid and legal claim" with which to approach the Thai authorities?

I'm not "supporting" anything, one way or the other Kieran, as I explained to someone else, on first reading/skipping-through the article I didn't fully understand who was doing what, rightly or wrongly.

4 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm not "supporting" anything, one way or the other Kieran, as I explained to someone else, on first reading/skipping-through the article I didn't fully understand who was doing what, rightly or wrongly.

OK, well I am sure it is now clear to you that neither party did things as they should of been done, this poor child has now been snatched twice.

• Like 1