Moving Towards Work Permit To Dodge The 400,000 Rule.

16 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

huh.  So unless we are talking apples and oranges, does this mean somebody say, teaching english and getting paid by a Thai company/school would not be considered to having income?

Why just english teachers? There are hundreds of thousands of expats in Bangkok working & receiving salaries  (after tax deductions) from Thai companies. None of them receive their salaries from outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saakura said:

Why just english teachers? There are hundreds of thousands of expats in Bangkok working & receiving salaries  (after tax deductions) from Thai companies. None of them receive their salaries from outside of Thailand.

I think it depends on which route you choose to apply under.

1 hour ago, saakura said:

I did not say just english teachers, I just used them as an example since many of their salaries are on the order of 40k baht/month.  But since you brought it up, I hope an expat that has some skills or education or training is not working in Thailand for only 40k baht a month

26 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I hope an expat that has some skills or education or training is not working in Thailand for only 40k baht a month

What he earns is irrelevant as long as its enough to satisfy the visa requirements. This is a young man, with a Thai wife and a young daughter. The couple have worked hard to build a successful business and do everything right. They are well respected by both the Thai and expat local community.  They should be rewarded for their efforts not penalised by this over zealous immigration official.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Check the rules for WP too, there are some rules they have too that might set you back. A friend wanted to hire me as a consultant but the labor department told us that as I'm from an EU country, then my salary should not be less than 80,000 Baht a month or they would not give me a WP!

You should of asked them to show you the regulation that states there is a minimum salary to get a work permit. They would not of been able do it since there is not one.

10 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Was that also at Korat Jack?

No - Jomtien.  Any immigration-official who happens to get control of some office, part of an office, checkpoint, etc can do nearly anything they choose.  There is no meaningful oversight. 

If they want to extort money, or if they or someone in their family had a bad experience with a farang, or if they decided a law should be different than it actually is, there is nothing to stop them from taking a hammer to thousands of foreigner's lives - just because they feel like it.

Edited by JackThompson

On 4/23/2018 at 3:46 PM, Brewster67 said:

It isn't the end of the world, just my immigration office is like 35KM from the house and we are in and out in less than 5 minutes, it is the 70KM drive and all the traffic lights that annoys me for the sake of three minutes :)

No mate, it is NOT the end of the world four times a year. I drive further than that to Tescos.

On 24/4/2561 at 7:09 PM, Swimman said:

Are you really trying to claim that a 40,00Baht income, honestly earned and provable was denied as being acceptable for an extension of stay based on marriage?  Really? 

Yes 100% 2 years in a row. Have shown tax returns, social security payments and bank statements. Why would I lie? 

Edited by Panwilai82

On 24/4/2561 at 7:13 PM, JackThompson said:

So, what was the result?  They make you get a Non-B type extension, instead of a Non-O based on marriage?

In general, IOs seem to hate processing marriage-based extensions of stay, because of the reams of pointless paperwork, sending off for approvals, etc.  Many have applied for them, but if showed enough bank-money, were given retirement-based extensions that they did not want, instead.  I would guess this is just that office trying to avoid doing their job - or maybe fishing for you to go to an "agent" so they get some pocket-money for their trouble.

He would not be the first.  At Jomtien, you can also be refused, even if you have met every qualification.

The result was I had to deposit 400,000b in my bank. Not really fair when I pay tax & social security, but what can I do?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Panwilai82 said:

The result was I had to deposit 400,000b in my bank. Not really fair when I pay tax & social security, but what can I do?

And us other poor sods have to put 800,000 in the bank or show 65k income. Oh dear.

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

And us other poor sods have to put 800,000 in the bank or show 65k income. Oh dear.

That is because you are applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement not marriage to a Thai.

I only show proof of 40k baht income to get mine (on #10 now).

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That is because you are applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement not marriage to a Thai.

I only show proof of 40k baht income to get mine (on #10 now).

Thanks Joe, maybe I'll get married. It will help the Schengen Visa as well. Cheers.

On ‎23‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, Brewster67 said:

Thanks Joe...

My wife seems to be under the impression that as a foreign worker we still get the same tax free portion to your earnings based on what tax bracket you fall under, and also must pay SSO which i think is negligible anyway... Damn those 90 day reports to hell and back.... lol... It isn't the end of the world, just my immigration office is like 35KM from the house and we are in and out in less than 5 minutes, it is the 70KM drive and all the traffic lights that annoys me for the sake of three minutes :)

Edited to add..... Is that 40K per month salary before or after tax and SSO is taken out??

I don't believe you will be better off. When I bought my business I had the option, that the previous owner opted for, of working under a WP. This meant a minimum of 4 workers along with him showing 50K per month income which ended up showing a 90K total monthly payroll that was taxed at I believe 12K per month. Option 2 which I took was not to work, great idea, leave my GF to run the business with her mom and pay minimal taxes like 2K per month. I remain unemployed on RV. In your case it is most likely to cost you 10K per month plus legal costs of the WP each month and yearly, most likely upwards of 200K per year. Correct me if I am wrong as this is all from memory. Sounds like your business isn't in the position to support this. 

6 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

This meant a minimum of 4 workers along with him showing 50K per month income which ended up showing a 90K total monthly payroll that was taxed at I believe 12K per month

He only needs to prove 40k baht income because he will be applying and extension of stay based upon marriage. The 50k baht salary is for an extension based upon working. He may only need 2 Thai employees dependent upon the office where he applies for the work permit.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He only needs to prove 40k baht income because he will be applying and extension of stay based upon marriage. The 50k baht salary is for an extension based upon working. He may only need 2 Thai employees dependent upon the office where he applies for the work permit.

I am sure you are correct but he still is paying tax on 60K/month plus the associated accounting and legal fees. How much do you think this would be per year compared to what his wife currently pays ?

12 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

I am sure you are correct but he still is paying tax on 60K/month plus the associated accounting and legal fees. How much do you think this would be per year compared to what his wife currently pays ?

Income tax is deducted from the employees pay so that is not really a factor.  Not sure a Thai would have as much accounting and legal fees as a foreigner would.

It seems his wife is aware to what is needed and is involved in his plans.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Completely irrelevant.  Why should someone who is making a positive contribution to his local community, following the rules and meeting the correct criteria for his visa, have to stump up 400,000 when he doesn't have to?

• Like 1

Well guys, I am the OP and I have gone through almost all of the hyper-beurocratic process only to be told I still have to show 400,000 in the bank for the first year... and yes...... It is korat office and two of the employees there were both telling different rules and of course the senior one won out... the wife called Kon Kaen office and they told her that i could in fact get a WP on my current status....

So once again, no two Thai government employees seem to have any accurate interpretation of the rules which is why i am totally stuffed on this one.

Edited by Brewster67
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

"...the wife called Kon Kaen office and they told her that i could in fact get a WP on my current status..."

Getting a work permit and getting an extension of stay for the reason of employment are two different things, obtainable from two different government agencies and subject to different rules.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2018 at 8:42 AM, Panwilai82 said:

Why not just rent a small house in a neighbouring province - Buriram - and apply at their offices instead?

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 7:18 PM, Swimman said:

Thanks but I prefer 1st hand testimony 

i am a 1st hand testimony the fat woman in jomtien refused to extend

my marry visa, and before you ask, yes i did meet all requirements

so she made up her own, like demanding proof i brought money from abroad,

and when i showed ATM slips, it still wasnt good enough

• Like 1

7 hours ago, poanoi said:

i am a 1st hand testimony the fat woman in jomtien refused to extend

my marry visa, and before you ask, yes i did meet all requirements

so she made up her own, like demanding proof i brought money from abroad,

and when i showed ATM slips, it still wasnt good enough

The other one would give you the same story.  They and/or the boss want you to go to an agent, so they get a brown-envelope with the application.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The other one would give you the same story.  They and/or the boss want you to go to an agent, so they get a brown-envelope with the application.

I was being messed around a month ago at Jomtien. So I used the service of the agent just outside. 4,000 baht and an hour later, I had my visa. Agent had her cut and plenty of mugs of tea for the IO.

4 hours ago, Norbert Halfwit said:

I was being messed around a month ago at Jomtien. So I used the service of the agent just outside. 4,000 baht and an hour later, I had my visa. Agent had her cut and plenty of mugs of tea for the IO.

You and all the "bad guys" they claim to want to send "out" of Thailand.  Only 4000 is a bargain, btw.  I can't say I blame folks for hiring agents if they cannot move to another area - you really have no choice for honest service in that office, in many cases.  Glad I was able to move.

On 5/4/2018 at 2:12 AM, Bangkokazy said:

Only poor people argue about who is right.
400k for a year's visa, is not much money in today's society

:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Obviously words spoken by someone who has it.... many don't have it and so it is a lot.... TO THEM