Looking for Ground Coffee Beans

junglechef

If you live near Pranburi, you can search for the location of the Caffe D'Oro branch there, which has very good ground coffee and beans. If you don't, then buy online from a supplier such as Radiance Wholefoods. I have just found out that Radiance sells Lao Mountain coffee, a brand which I look for when I am in Vientiane.

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Found some good arabic beans at Makro Hua Hin. 

If it's the same that I have tried (500 gr, yellowish bag):

I was not too impressed.

Dark roast, little fragrance.

Fell back to grounded coffee (Moccana blue, good price/quality relation).

Previously I had tried some "hilltribe" beans (100% Arabica) sold at TOPS.  Also not satisfactory for me.

The green fronted shop, just left of the Delo sign, across the road from the bicycle shop, will grind Blue Mountain Thai beans for you, and at a good price, half kilo.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@12.5827298,99.9521696,3a,75y,254.25h,87.5t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sidg8UGZ5KvbYtPLLrTr2iA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was not too impressed.

Previously I had tried some "hilltribe" beans (100% Arabica) sold at TOPS.  Also not satisfactory for me.

No, it was a black bag, and when I think, it was whole beans I bought. Anyway Bluport have hips of varity to choose between.

Will check Bon cafe today

5 minutes ago, Hummin said:

No, it was a black bag, and when I think, it was whole beans I bought.

Yes, whole beans.

I bought 100% Arabica as seen on the left (275 Baht/500 gr).

The one on the right is a blend (145 Baht/500 gr).

makrocoffee.jpg

If you want to be really adventurous, and can afford it, you could always try what is billed as the world's most expensive coffee. It is produced here in Thailand and is available on line at: https://blackivorycoffee.com/  You should know that the beans are fed to elephants and eventually pooped out whereupon they are ground into coffee. Because it is so expensive it might actually be cheaper to buy your own elephant and grow your own coffee to get the same thing. 

6 hours ago, Ombra said:

If you live near Pranburi, you can search for the location of the Caffe D'Oro branch there, which has very good ground coffee and beans. If you don't, then buy online from a supplier such as Radiance Wholefoods. I have just found out that Radiance sells Lao Mountain coffee, a brand which I look for when I am in Vientiane.

Going to Pranburi in the morning, will def look for it, thanks

If you want good coffe you must grind it youself in a mill that don’t heat it up.

We buy delicious espresso coffe beans from Chiang Mai University.

High Grown (1600m) 100% arabica. Costs around B500/Kg

Highland Research & Training Center

Faculty of Agriculture

Chiang Mai University

Chiang Mai 50200

Tel 0-5394-4052.  Fax 0-5322-2014

They send by post if you can’t pick it up.

8 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I was not too impressed.

I wouldn't expect beans from Macro or Tops to be high quality.

Thanks for the replies (I guess)

Posted to local forum as I'm looking to get locally.

Asked for ground beans as I want ground beans.

I'm here on vacation so can't get it mailed to want to buy a grinder.

High quality as in freshly roasted beans from single origin or blended with love. 

Cheers 

7 hours ago, YorkshireTyke said:

You could try Boncafe, if you go to their shop they have several flavours that are not in makro/Villa Market etc that I buy, you can check them out online first and even buy online if you are not close to their shop off Soi 94.

Personally find it rather horrible 

1 hour ago, JohanB said:

If you want good coffe you must grind it youself in a mill that don’t heat it up.

We buy delicious espresso coffe beans from Chiang Mai University.

High Grown (1600m) 100% arabica. Costs around B500/Kg

Highland Research & Training Center

Faculty of Agriculture

Chiang Mai University

Chiang Mai 50200

Tel 0-5394-4052.  Fax 0-5322-2014

They send by post if you can’t pick it up.

I asked for ground but thanks for the lesson. 

Yes, Chiang Mai has good beans, I love the ones I grow on my farm there :) 

Try Sunisa's cafe.   They roast their own and sell it in their small coffee shop.  They even make kureg things.  Best American breakfast I had in my 132 days in Thailand by far.  The owners are a crazy Canadian and his beautiful Thai wife. Sunisa.  he met her while she was in Canada as student.   They have goats and make their own cheese also!!!  They have the bread baked by a local bakery and sausage made locally.   Only thing is they didn't open right at 8:30.  I can imagine why??? I like coffee at 7 am.  

Kotchasarn Lane 1 Alley - Soi Tha Phae 6, Tambon Chang Moi, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand

Screenshot_20180424-130634.png

Screenshot_20180424-130648.png

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Try Sunisa's cafe.   They roast their own and sell it in their small coffee shop.  They even make kureg things.  Best American breakfast I had in my 132 days in Thailand by far.  The owners are a crazy Canadian and his beautiful Thai wife. Sunisa.  he met her while she was in Canada as student.   They have goats and make their own cheese also!!!  They have the bread baked by a local bakery and sausage made locally.   Only thing is they didn't open right at 8:30.  I can imagine why??? I like coffee at 7 am.  

Kotchasarn Lane 1 Alley - Soi Tha Phae 6, Tambon Chang Moi, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand

2 hours ago, Elkski said:

Thanks sounds great!

Having my morning coffee now at 4:30 am only cuz I slept in late today (yeah another crazy Canuk). Some coffee shops open at 11 am in Chiang Mai.

I also keep goat and just started doing a little milking, thrown around the idea of cheese making.

Will check out for sure when I get back!

Hello,

Before going to Pranburi, go to # 94, then left at # 10. Open from 9 am until 6 pm
There was one at 112, but maybe he moved out.
Also, on the PALA U road, about 5 km from Hua Hin, the coffee is torrified. Not found the name.
Good research.

9 hours ago, junglechef said:

I wouldn't expect beans from Macro or Tops to be high quality.

We had a low price company in my country, who put up a designed barista coffe bar in one of the "hippest" part of the town, and served their brands. Everything was filmed and documented, and then reports after a personal questioning, and a survey later, was that this had to be very exclusive coffe and brands. However it turned out to be cheep chain coffe, but later  got prices for their coffe. 

What to learn from this? 

1. A good barista can make coffe

2. The right desing and branding make it taste better

3. It is still shit coffe, but the curcumstances trick you to believe it is more expensice and therefor have to be good coffe and taste better. 

3. I have bought coffe from there before, and with my aeropress managed to make decent good coffe from their brands. I love to shop and find new coffe when I travel, and more often it is what kind of beans it is, and how they are burned and treate in the process, that gives the good resoults, together with the right tools. Anyway, Im not a coffe bean or coffe expert, I just love coffe in the morning, enjoying the sun gets up. A perfect start on a new day. 

I found a cheep hand grainer at Bluport that surve my purpose good, and gives me fresh grained coffe everytime, and at the end it is a state of mind when and where as well. 

It's very good to exchange his addresses or his little things without fighting.
To return to coffee, for the same brand of coffee, same molding, the taste will be different depending on the water.
Because water has a taste that varies from one brand to another.
Have a good day.:coffee1:

I have been roasting my own beans.  I can buy them green at a local coffee roaster f0r like 12-14$/#.  Kind of silly when I can buy most brands pre roasted ground it whole at grocery for 7-11$/#.  I can order from a place in California for 6-26$/#.  

I modified an Orville reddenbacher air popcorn popper.   I cut out the thermocouple, added 5 more 0.25" holes in bottom.  Used the flour sifter mod on top.  I can do 50-150gram batches.   It's just fun.  Except in winter when it was -25 C and windy. I use 28 grams for my 4 cups.   I use a blade grinder which is much less than optimal. 

2 minutes ago, sirocco said:

It's very good to exchange his addresses or his little things without fighting.
To return to coffee, for the same brand of coffee, same molding, the taste will be different depending on the water.
Because water has a taste that varies from one brand to another.
Have a good day.:coffee1:

And more important, what kind of coffe maker and filter you use ;-) Temp of the water, time exposed to the coffe grain, and so on

Archived