Comment: Pattaya branded 'sleazy den of sin' in wake of orgy scandal - give Pattaya and the rest of us a break!

snoop1130

1 minute ago, ebean001 said:

I have lived here for 10+ years. I sincerely do not look at Thailand as a sex entertainment world. It is one of the few places on earth that I (older man) can go out and talk to lovely ladies, play pool, and have fun. what is wrong with that. I have many friends who seldom bar-fine ladies. if they do, they are already good friends with them and it is really no one's business what they do. This is to me is the real Thailand.

Yes. My first Thai gf was an officer in the Education Ministry. Another was a plastic surgery registered nurse. I admire "normal" Thai women. I avoid noisy, crowded red-light streets like the plague, because they're annoying, stupid places to waste my time and I'm not impressed with ladyboys or bargirls. No lady friend at a given time? I'd rather binge-watch "Ray Donovan" or a good movie at home alone.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, outsider said:

The 'Pattaya' all these foreign media harp about is just a tiny geographical point in the map of the city. Pattaya is bigger than that and, away from the throbbing electronic dance music, go-go bars, glaringly-pulsating LED lights and roadside/beachside scams, it really isn't such a bad place. I have friends living in Pattaya and the places they have brought me to to eat and chill are really nice - just like other nice parts of the Kingdom. The usual Thai charm and hospitality reappears once one is removed from the aforementioned cutthroat world that is 'Pattaya' to most ignorant foreigners. Branding Pattaya a 'sleazy den of sin' is like saying the whole of Amsterdam is a cesspit of gyrating leather-clad bodies pumped-up with legal drugs. Which it is not. For the record, I've never been to Amsterdam but in today's digital age, all you need is to search with some relevant words and a few mouse-clicks and all the information will be there. Not that these reporters bothered with any research, for a start. I know what these media are doing - click-baiting. Which is why nowadays I go to other channels for news, while the 'mainstream' media is where I go to for some brainless entertainment.

Journalists and editors of mainstream media used to be respected figures. There are still some good ones left but the rest are just irrelevant dinosaurs grasping at straws. In a content-driven world, click-baiting is a dying trend. People look for news and stories with a different angle. That's where the audience is. You think agencies are stupid enough to believe you have a click-rate or page-view of more than 100,000 a day, when they (these agencies) also have apps that could tell that the average visitor stayed no more than three seconds on your site/page? Why do you think advertisers are shying away from 'mainstream' media and putting their money elsewhere? For one, you guys aren't really 'mainstream' anymore.

So dear editors and journalists, use your skills to tell proper stories that people want to read. Resorting to quick-fixes like click-baiting and sensationalism isn't going to cut it in the fast-paced digital world of today. Either you get on the fastlane of this trend i.e. become relevant again, or stop by the side and retire. Move to Pattaya, while you're at it. Many of your kind there. Like whales washed ashore, they are happy (and I am sure you will be too) to tell, in a state of semi-drunken stupor, just before lunchtime, whoever is willing to listen how they (or you) were once great. How is that for some stereotyping? 

Obviously the editors did something right..

Pattaya and Thailand are far worse and more sleazy than the stereotypes of the western media. They have no idea of the extent of corruption and prostitution here.

TV naturally has to defend the image of the country, though. 

SENSATION JOURNALISM. 
I visited Amsterdam last week during my annual "Songkran-escape" as well as Hamburg (Germany).
Passed Amsterdam's red-light district (De Wallen) - which makes me ashamed to be a Dutch national - and drove through (during daytime) the infamous Hamburg reeperbahn.
Both make Pattaya look like anything BUT Sodom and Gomorrah.

Nothing new, this perception of Thailand and the westerners who choose to travel there. Here is an old Saturday Night Live skit that played on it (and which didn't make Thais laugh). 

Now let's be honest and admit that stereotypes often have a grain of truth... 

11 hours ago, nausea said:

Many Thais come to Pattaya for a weekend break. It's just basically what Brighton is to London. It might be a little naughty, but so what.

Do you remember the 2 Ronnies sketch years ago saying BR had a London - Brighton ticket called the 'Have it away day return' ?

12 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Last year I visited friends and families in England. One of my oldest friends, known him from school, told me that in Thailand, one is never more than 200 yards away from the nearest brothel, and he was describing the whole of Thailand, not just Pattaya, although he`s never visited Thailand.

This got me thinking.

I thought yards were obsolete in England!! Just goes to show,,,...

But on the more important subject of distance. I had to test it. Got on my mountain bike and off I went (not forgetting to fill my water bottles or set my distance recorder) to find out.

It turned out that the nearest brothel was 4,350 metres from our farm house. However, I was propositioned a couple of times along the way; with a "you like smokie, Blad Plit" and "you want happy time, handsome man". I just smiled at these comments and took note of the GPS (to avoid them in the future).

So; in conclusion I have to say that the friends and family of cyberfarang are not so accurate with their distances and not up-to-date, with the now UK accepted, Kilometres.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well done Rooster. I appreciate your efforts to stand up for Pattaya. Those of us who live here, know the reality and 95% or more of that printed in tabloids is garbage, miles from the mark.
However, on this occasion, you have to say that the cops really screwed up. As you say, this was just a bunch of swingers having an erotic night out with other like minded and consensual people. It is the cops who blew it out of proportion and the cops who released disgraceful video, showing the faces of naked people who were not subsequently charged with any crime. If Thailand wants to keep Pattaya out of the International news media for the wrong reasons, perhaps the cops and reporters might want to show a little more common sense and restraint, before releasing such sensational stories. Especially when they are essentially rubbish.

Totally agree with you , the media is morally bankrupt this long time and everyone knows it , i personally never watch or bought papers when living back in dreary Uk 

lets all delve into what goes on back in the west , id bet its tons worse than Pattaya.

1 hour ago, leggo said:

I first came to Pattaya thirty years ago and it was a cesspit then! I was last there five years ago and it was way way worse. So things must have changed a lot since then! While I appreciate the media exaggerates I can't abide all those low life who cannot see that under age girls are sold by mafiaosa on the streets is just not acceptable ( of course it happens elsewhere too. ) But those who defend Pattaya are often the same men who are called ' handsome man' and are completely blind to every thing else including the fifthy beaches, jetski scams and the disgusting state of the sea which is full of rubbish. Cess pit is the perfect description!

Then stay where you are and play with your Leggo. You obviously have no idea what Pattaya has to offer. You just state the same old boring nonsense offered by the Pattaya haters. Underage girls? I haven't seen them. The beach and Jetski operaters I agree. I dont go there. Jomtien is so much better. As is Ban Amphur and Bang Saray a few km away. Get your facts right before posting please you must be well past the stage of your life where you can enjoy yourself, stick with Leggo.

13 hours ago, champers said:

Spot on. Without the police's self serving publicity there would be no stories printed anywhere. Someone higher up the food chain might be having a quiet word. A new job in Nakhon Nowhere beckons for someone.

..on the move again.

14 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Well done Rooster. I appreciate your efforts to stand up for Pattaya. Those of us who live here, know the reality and 95% or more of that printed in tabloids is garbage, miles from the mark.
However, on this occasion, you have to say that the cops really screwed up. As you say, this was just a bunch of swingers having an erotic night out with other like minded and consensual people. It is the cops who blew it out of proportion and the cops who released disgraceful video, showing the faces of naked people who were not subsequently charged with any crime. If Thailand wants to keep Pattaya out of the International news media for the wrong reasons, perhaps the cops and reporters might want to show a little more common sense and restraint, before releasing such sensational stories. Especially when they are essentially rubbish.

Now you can understand why fewer and fewer Aussies read the drivel and propaganda that Murdoch's little empire publish.

Thank goodness for the Guardian!

It will go back to being a sleepy fishing port with a few Thai's sleeping on hammocks.  Eventually everything goes full circle.

Still a small fishing fleet in Jomtien
they sell the catch right there on the beach
P_20180425_091437.jpg

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pattaya branded 'sleazy den of sin' in wake of orgy scandal - give Pattaya and the rest of us a break!

In defense of Sleaze - not many places you can live have adverts for go-go bars, gentlemen's clubs quite obviously brothels on the TV - even during children;s hours and between watchable kids films

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

This got me thinking.

I thought yards were obsolete in England!! Just goes to show,,,...

But on the more important subject of distance. I had to test it. Got on my mountain bike and off I went (not forgetting to fill my water bottles or set my distance recorder) to find out.

It turned out that the nearest brothel was 4,350 metres from our farm house. However, I was propositioned a couple of times along the way; with a "you like smokie, Blad Plit" and "you want happy time, handsome man". I just smiled at these comments and took note of the GPS (to avoid them in the future).

So; in conclusion I have to say that the friends and family of cyberfarang are not so accurate with their distances and not up-to-date, with the now UK accepted, Kilometres.

good, and you can spell 'metres' which is more than those guys north of Mexico can!!

26 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I wonder what fish smelt like before women went swimming in the sea?

yes, baby fish are called 'smelt' (not sure which ones, ) and no doubt SMELLED too.

My 80 year old mother came to stay with me in Jomtien for three months a couple years ago.

Two of he sisters joined us for a month. My mother remarked to me that she knew of Thailands

sordid reputation but was surprised how low key and hidden away everything was. I laughed.

That night around 9 I took her on the back of my scooter to Pattaya proper. A loop down second road,

Soi 7, Beach road and a stop and short walk down walking street. She is not a prude or judgemental. She laughed

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Especially when they are essentially rubbish.

No Smoke without Fire, Pattaya has the reputation it deserves, only the Thais can clean it up and i cant see that happening anytime soon, Money talks BS walks.

I agree with several of the above posts that this is clearly a case of 'the pot calling the kettle black' in that this is going on all over the world behind closed doors.  The rich and powerful get away with this sort of thing all the time.  Sad that the Pattaya police made such a cockup.  Yet another case of Thais shooting themselves in the foot.

Pattaya has a hard earned and well deserved reputation, without it Pattaya would still be a sleepy fishing village as it was before the Yanks on their R/R from Vietnam  eventually turned it into what it is today. 

Pattaya is the sex capital of Thailand, even beating Bangkok for it's variety of nightlife.

Most of the people who knock Pattaya ( me included )  Have been there, done that, and got the Tshirt. Then grown up and moved onto the REAL Thailand  away from the plastic image and bright lights of tinsel town .  

Pattaya has its' uses and these are limited to the nightlife and a good selection of Western eating places, and of course Beautiful  women of all shapes,  sizes  and ages. Including many girls straight from school looking for a Farang husband or ATM . This is FACT not fiction as many of my ex students went straight from school to work in the bars when they turned 18 . Let's face it the beaches are crap and you have to watch your back when you go out at night . Ok to visit but who in their right minds would want to live there ?

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I actually know a couple who come over here and indulge in it , found out purely by accident ,they still do not know that the wife and i know ,:smile:

Ya dont say Mavis !       :saai:

23 minutes ago, masuk said:

yes, baby fish are called 'smelt' (not sure which ones, ) and no doubt SMELLED too.

Good to see you are on the bull here Masuk. And that meter/metre conflict is due, IMP, to people using a 'US' spell-checker.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

"Common Sense is not part of Thai thinking, never has, never will be!

Pattaya is what is is & has been for the last 80 years.. nothing is going to change because those in a position to make profit have all the say on what goes on, what stays and what goes!!

Don't expect any change soon.. 

Last year when returning back to Sydney for a 3 weeks holiday with wife and kids the customs official demanded he see the photos in my camera

After a 147 shots of all the family in the Village and 57 shots of what the wife had eaten in the last 3 days, 1 photo I was allowed to take of myself, and 1 of my new car, he was so upset

Wow what a waste of time he mumbled to himself

Re: Sex Parties last Sat in the Sydney Classifies there where 10 swinging parties advertised, 4 of them for gay and lesbian adults

Typical the kettle calling the pot black

Archived