Comment: Pattaya branded 'sleazy den of sin' in wake of orgy scandal - give Pattaya and the rest of us a break!

snoop1130

This whole spectacle is such a non issue right up there with illegal bridge games and darts. There is plenty that goes on in Pattaya that should interest the police but it doesn't and we all know why.

Pattaya, however is changing and the sex industry is getting smaller due to a lack of customers and a lack of partners. Rents continue to go higher; land more valuable; and some pressure from the military to clean it up. Most of it will go out of business eventually and a lot of it will float towards Jomtien or the dark side. In addition, plenty of competition in places like Cambodia and Philippines at lower prices.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Think I'd be dead if spent 1000 quid in a week on sex ! .................maybe, have to give it a try ...if the wife agrees of course

I hope that included flights fights for the pom an aussie tourists. 

16 hours ago, Justfine said:

Stereo types exist for a reason. It's the sex capital of Asia.

Stereo types are often based on an individuals world experiences, perceptions, knowledge and intelligence. 

Fueling certain stereo types is something a lot of the media too as they know it will appeal to many and boost circulation and readership loyalty.

Are all Irish thick/stupid - no of course not. All the Irish people I know are intelligent.

Are all Scots tight fisted - nope. One of the most hospitable and generous people usually; but nobody's fools.

Are all French arrogant - no.

Are all English lager louts - no.

Are all Thai ladies bar fineable - no of course not.

Are all Aussies cheats - no.

Are all Americans ignorant - no, quite the opposite usually.

If you think Thailand is the "sex capital of Asia" then I'd suggest you haven't traveled much in Asia, haven't done any research on the topic, read lots of "reports" in the gutter press, and go with "a stereotype" that like most urban myths the sheeple think must be true because they read it in the Mail/Sun/Mirror etc. 

3 minutes ago, Knee Jerk Reaction said:

The UK Daily Mail didn't just say 'British men' were involved, it said 'Sweating British men'. Lol, what a hysterical, stirring rag.

The Daily Mail, the well known fascist rag of a paper, completely factually wrong? I'm shocked, shocked I say.

Just now, Baerboxer said:

Stereo types are often based on an individuals world experiences, perceptions, knowledge and intelligence. 

Fueling certain stereo types is something a lot of the media too as they know it will appeal to many and boost circulation and readership loyalty.

Are all Irish thick/stupid - no of course not. All the Irish people I know are intelligent.

Are all Scots tight fisted - nope. One of the most hospitable and generous people usually; but nobody's fools.

Are all French arrogant - no.

Are all English lager louts - no.

Are all Thai ladies bar fineable - no of course not.

Are all Aussies cheats - no.

Are all Americans ignorant - no, quite the opposite usually.

If you think Thailand is the "sex capital of Asia" then I'd suggest you haven't traveled much in Asia, haven't done any research on the topic, read lots of "reports" in the gutter press, and go with "a stereotype" that like most urban myths the sheeple think must be true because they read it in the Mail/Sun/Mirror etc. 

Laughable response. Pattaya is the sex capital not the whole of Thailand.

1 minute ago, Justfine said:

Been like that since the 1970s.

That's your opinion based on what? American servicemen on R/R? 

And what has your research indicated on the sex industry in India, China, other SEA nations, not to mention Europe and the US where in some cases prostitution is legal, for comparison?

2 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That's your opinion based on what? American servicemen on R/R? 

And what has your research indicated on the sex industry in India, China, other SEA nations, not to mention Europe and the US where in some cases prostitution is legal, for comparison?

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2015/07/prostitution-thailands-worst-kept-secret/

15 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Last year I visited friends and families in England. One of my oldest friends, known him from school, told me that in Thailand, one is never more than 200 yards away from the nearest brothel, and he was describing the whole of Thailand, not just Pattaya, although he`s never visited Thailand.

But this is a general western perspective of the country, including that it`s dangerous, HIV and aids is rampant, disease ridden, and extremely backward, mainly contributed by exaggerated media reports and how Thailand has been portrayed in films and on the social media. Australia is the worse for spreading denigrate publicity about Thailand. 

This is a bad reputation that refuses to budge and doubt it will ever change in my lifetime.

and you say he has never been here!

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed, please stop trying to hijack the topic

EDIT

More of the same nonsense has been removed you can stop now or I will suspend you both

If this was indeed the case, then a significant portion of Thailand’s international visitors are “bad guys”; of the 33 million who visited the country last year, 13 million went to Pattaya, a city known for more than just its beaches.

Some might disagree but let’s call a spade a spade: many are drawn to the city for one thing – sex. Despite prostitution being illegal in Thailand, Pattaya has a reported 27,000 sex workers – that’s roughly one for every five people living in the city.

4 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:
5 hours ago, Daveyh said:

It's no worse than any other capitol city in the world, not that Pattaya is although being a city ................ if you wish to seek out this form of activity it's everywhere! I think the media is the "scourge" of society ...... anything to do with sex will sell newspapers. It's about time the general public woke up to this & voted with their feet & refused to read this trash ................... give me a break please! This is not headline news ........ neither is it worth the paper it's printed on ..... fact.

I dunno, it would be hard to find the level of debauchery in London that you find in walking Street. My main gripe with it is the human trafficking and under age girls being sold out. Not only that, just the mentality of the foreigners who go to the main areas is disgusting, and one can feel it in the atmosphere there. People can try and paint it any which way that they want, Pattaya is listed as the sex capital of the world, as well as the pedophile capital of the world. 

We were specifically discussing swinging (sex) parties here, which are common all over the world. By comparison sex parties are rare in Pattaya. There's not much need for them. I don't know about London, but I'll put money down swingers are fairly active there too.

It is always going to be a sleazy Den unless you shut all the gogo bars down and other nonsense .Then it would have nothing it would lose its fun to a lot of people. You get bus loads of Indians Koreans Chinese going on tours all round these bars it's Hilarious. Lovely Family town !

Rooster,

you try to justify living in a sin bin. That's ok.

But Pattaya got the label to be a shit hole. And this is connected to lady boys and all other sort of prostitution. Go around and have a look on to these "over 70" with young girls who could be their children or even grand duaghter. These are in my eyes prostitutes as well. Or could you imagine to sleep with a woman twice your age (if possible)? Because of love.????

Sure there is some truth in it what foreign media is riing about Thailand and Pattaya in particular.

Be brave and admit that you live there.

Your reply to the Aussie and UK media make them laugh.....about YOU

Pattaya is notorious or even infamous for it's "nightlife"  It is what it is and should be celebrated for that, not condemned.  Pretty much anyone going to Pattaya knows what to expect and let's face it that's what attracts many of the tourists that go there.  For most expats who live there, they live a pretty normal life but with the added value of the extras if they so choose.  In fact the expats seldom have any trouble as they know how Pattaya works and what to avoid.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Pattaya branded 'sleazy den of sin' in wake of orgy scandal

So what did people think of Pattaya before the orgy scandal? I don't think this silly 'branding' has tarnished its reputation much. If anything it has added market appeal!

16 hours ago, nausea said:

Many Thais come to Pattaya for a weekend break. It's just basically what Brighton is to London. It might be a little naughty, but so what.

I'd say more like Southend. Maybe Hua Hin is like Brighton, although I don't know if it has the Pink Baht.?

46 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Rooster,

you try to justify living in a sin bin. That's ok.

But Pattaya got the label to be a shit hole. And this is connected to lady boys and all other sort of prostitution. Go around and have a look on to these "over 70" with young girls who could be their children or even grand duaghter. These are in my eyes prostitutes as well. Or could you imagine to sleep with a woman twice your age (if possible)? Because of love.????

Sure there is some truth in it what foreign media is riing about Thailand and Pattaya in particular.

Be brave and admit that you live there.

Your reply to the Aussie and UK media make them laugh.....about YOU

I've never seen the official label for Pattaya - "shit hole". That's just a label that many ignorant people use to describe a city they know nothing about.

What you describe goes on all over SE Asia, not just Pattaya. If you live anywhere in Thailand, or anywhere else in SE Asia, you're in the same boat. Do you think you can hide away in some rural town (or as in your case CM) and escape the stigma?

Note: I indicate my location in my profile here - not ashamed. I wouldn't live anywhere else in Thailand... and it has nothing to do with the sex industry either as I'm happily married and don't even drink alcohol. Just because there is shit somewhere, doesn't mean you have to roll around in it.

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

this reporter

If you're going to call yourself a journalist, then you need to identify yourself, not stand behind a pseudonym. It's the professional thing to do. You can't attack others and then run and hide.

Pattaya has gotten so big, so successful, and so popular these past few years that a non-news story like this is but a ripple in the current; Pattaya sails on.  Terminal 21 nears completion.  Amari is going full tilt on its two new luxury hotels.  Mytt, Brighton, and Grand Palazzo Hotels have opened.  A new 59 story condo with 1600 rooms is on the books for Jomtien, to join the massive One Condo project and Riviera Jomtien.  

Sansiri has torn down a small, old hotel in central Pattaya, to be replaced with the Edge condo.  Mike Shopping Mall across the street is being re-done.  Up the street a bit, Chang has just put up construction fencing around its Imperial Hotel.  Lots of land there from Second Road to Beach Road; perhaps Asiatique Prime is set to go there--one is planned for Pattaya.  Across the street, Chang is also redeveloping the Grand Sole Hotel and a very large tract of land adjacent to it.  Whatever goes in next to the hotel will be replacing old shop houses and tumbledown sheds behind them; should be a big improvement.  Just a few examples of what is happening all over Pattaya--and that's the big news story.

Just a few examples of what is happening all over Pattaya--and that's the big news story.

Yep they wont be happy until the whole lot is covered in concrete, Bangkok II

Just a bit worried about where all the rubbish and sewage goes ?

Archived