Caught stealing

Matptg

Hi everyone,

I' m new in the forum and your help will be highly appreciated.

I've been living in Bkk by an year already and a couple of weeks ago a relative of mine (very young) came to visit me. 

He made a monthly subscription to a gym next to my condo and this idiot last Friday has stolen something from the gym. He went back to gym last Monday and the clerk asked him to pay for the stolen thing because they had a footage of him doing it. He had no money in that moment, so the clerk called the security which took him by motorbike to my condo. He paid to the security the amount he owed and the security left immediately after. No police were called. My only concern is that the gym requires your passport to subscribe. Do you guys think he's risking something? I mean, being blacklisted? I repeat, he paid to the security and no police were called. To me it's like from their side is ok.

Thank you all for your reviews

Matteo

Hi everyone,

I've been living in Bkk by an year already and a couple of weeks ago a relative of mine (very young) came to visit me. 

He made a monthly subscription to a gym next to my condo and this idiot last Friday has stolen something from the gym. He went back to gym last Monday and the clerk asked him to pay for the stolen thing because they had a footage of him doing it. He had no money in that moment, so the clerk called the security which took him by motorbike to my condo. He paid to the security the amount he owed and the security left immediately after. No police were called. My only concern is that the gym requires your passport to subscribe. Do you guys think he's risking something? I mean, being blacklisted? I repeat, he paid to the security and no police were called. To me it's like from their side is ok.

Matteo
No

11 minutes ago, jackdd said:

99,9% that nothing else will happen

In case he is under 15 he can't be punished anyway

Yes to me sounds like they just wanted to be paid without getting too many troubles. Afyer all the mentioned gym belongs to an hotel

15 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
17 minutes ago, Matptg said:
Hi everyone,

Matteo

No

Thank you, to me he's out of risk too

24 minutes ago, jackdd said:

99,9% that nothing else will happen

In case he is under 15 he can't be punished anyway

There are minor punishments available for children between the ages of 10-15 years.

This is probably the harshest one, but there are more on the link below;

"To send such child to a school or place of training and instruction or a place established for training and giving instruction to children throughout the period of time prescribed by the Court but not longer than the time when such child shall have completed eighteen years of age."

http://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/criminal-code-minors-liability-sections-73-79/

Edited by pearciderman

10 minutes ago, varun said:

Money's been paid so that's probably the end of it.

Do suggest a swift kick in the pants for your idiotic young relative.

If he continues on his current path he's in for an extended vacation at the Hilton..the other one.

Thank you. Yes it's what I told to him. He never did actually and maybe he wanted to feel "cool". He learned the lesson amd still feeling so embarassed. To me it's all fine too

Dump the relative - sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

It does not sound like he opened up to you and said what he'd done by your comments - he only seemed bothered when the security came back with him. He could quite easily have said 'look i took this from the gym, come with me today and lets pay for it". no the deceitful toad just went back like he'd done nothing. If there was no cctv he'd  have got away with it. Thief mindset.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Dump the relative - sounds like an accident just waiting to happen.

It does not sound like he opened up to you and said what he'd done by your comments - he only seemed bothered when the security came back with him. He could quite easily have said 'look i took this from the gym, come with me today and lets pay for it". no the deceitful toad just went back like he'd done nothing. If there was no cctv he'd  have got away with it. Thief mindset.

I would classify the act as an harmless thing. He never did it before and I think he just wanted to feel cool in somehow by breaking the rule. Small thefts many people have been through. I know the law in Thailand takes everything serious when it comes to theft but however I believe deporting or banning a person to enter the kingdom for a small crime it is way too much. Anyway, he regrets what he's done. The debt has been paid and supposedely the gym didn't take any action for it ( they know where I live, I believe the police would have already showed up otherwise)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Petchou said:

Send him back home.   He is showing the potential to  do the wrong things  here.   Just matter of time to  see him. Doing  something  worst. 

I think we are getting things bigger than what it actually is. He wronged. Simple. But from here to say he's going to do something worst there is an abyss in between. Sometime to learn you need to wrong. That's it. And in a couple of weeks he'll leave anyway therefore...

• Like 1

Many kids do stupid things. How many of you can honestly say that when you were young you didn't shoplift some petty article. I did once and got caught, taught me a lesson that's for sure. Never did it again  

Seems to me this kid is ashamed of what he did. One petty theft is not an indicator that he will be a serial thief all his life.

Since they handled it sooo nicely - I would say they are not likely to pursue it further. I would go back to the gym and thank them profusely, maybe bring them a gift - - and then take your relative to a Thai jail to show him what he was risking... 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Toknarok said:

Many kids do stupid things. How many of you can honestly say that when you were young you didn't shoplift some petty article. I did once and got caught, taught me a lesson that's for sure. Never did it again  

Seems to me this kid is ashamed of what he did. One petty theft is not an indicator that he will be a serial thief all his life.

Precisely. It is said that sooner or later you have to pass through everything. As long as the police wasn't called it will be fine. They wanted to get paid, they did. I think among all the thefts occured in the kingdom those that have been reported are the ones that somehow gave troubles after being caught

50 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Since they handled it sooo nicely - I would say they are not likely to pursue it further. I would go back to the gym and thank them profusely, maybe bring them a gift - - and then take your relative to a Thai jail to show him what he was risking... 

Gosh reading so many that went to jail for minor crimes like this. The handled it nicely yes. I think no risk any more simce they now know where I live amd no one showed up.

He learned the lesson

Lucky that the gym were so kind and lenient.

I would suggest cutting his hand off at the wrist just to make sure he realises that not everyone is so understanding. As he probably has two hands, he will learn his lesson yet still be able to write his name etc. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

You say he hasn't done this before......what you probably mean is he hasn't been caught before. Of course he's embarrassed, he got caught and if he didn't he wouldn't be embarrassed. You didn't say his age, and this is quite important in the grand scheme of things. My brother was/is a sociopath, and when he was younger around ten he had a paper round and the homeowners started having things missing from their houses. Eventually my mother moved to the Channel Islands with him to work in a hotel there. The guests started having things missing, so the police planted money that turned your hands purple.....guess whose hands turned purple? No prizes for correct answers. Eventually he ended up working for British Intelligence....they love people like him because they have no conscience like the rest of us. You send a sociopath to kill somebody and it is like swatting a fly to them. In the real world 007 is probably a sociopath. I have lots of stories if you want to hear them some time. Fortunately or unfortunately he now has Parkinson's Disease and he is pretty much non-functional.

• Like 2

Some researchers wanted to establish whether being violent was hereditary. Did violent men have violent kids? They looked at kids who'd been adopted. Did their "violent" genes mean that they were still violent? What they discovered - accidentally - was that violence isn't hereditary but thieving seems to be. The children of thieves who're adopted are more likely to go on and steal, even if the adoptive family don't. 

2 hours ago, Matptg said:

I would classify the act as an harmless thing. He never did it before and I think he just wanted to feel cool in somehow by breaking the rule. Small thefts many people have been through. I know the law in Thailand takes everything serious when it comes to theft but however I believe deporting or banning a person to enter the kingdom for a small crime it is way too much. Anyway, he regrets what he's done. The debt has been paid and supposedely the gym didn't take any action for it ( they know where I live, I believe the police would have already showed up otherwise)

Except of course if you are an official in authority, you buy the job and it is quite normal to steal. Send your relative to an inactive post for a month and everything will be ok. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

Except of course if you are an official in authority, you buy the job and it is quite normal to steal. Send your relative to an inactive post for a month and everything will be ok. :thumbsup:

Stealing is never good. Even the smallest one can break a business down. I am hotel manager and have to deal with small losses everyday. It's a lesson. 

16 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

It didn't sound like that from your original post.

yep, actually as mentioned before stealing is really a bad action that can lead small realities into ruin. But I also believe that every case has to be evaluated in itself. As I told in the previous post, I work in the hospitality field where small thefts happen every day, from customers and employees. Sometime, just turn blind your eye, that's it. Like the gym management did actually, they just waited for him to go back and ask for the payment. In that situation his behaviour was ok and they just took him back home and ask to get paid. No police, no burocracy, no harm

One day Thais will wake up to the fact that this is the 21st century and there are cameras everywhere. And that includes police who have been caught demanding donations from shopkeepers. My favourite happened earlier this year when a shop owner who had installed CCTV to catch shoplifters was caught out herself stealing from a customer's bag. You couldn't make it up (and I didn't. It was featured on ThaiVisa).

• Confused 1