Thailand Rises 2 Spots In World Press Freedom Rankings

snoop1130

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

Untitled-1-1-696x408.jpg

BANGKOK — Thailand this year rose two spots from last year on the press freedom index, according to a Wednesday report.

Improving on their previous mark of 142, Thailand ranked 140th place out of 180 countries, according to the Reporters without Borders’ 2018 World Press Freedom Index, or RSF, published on Wednesday.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/2018/04/25/thailand-rises-2-spots-in-world-press-freedom-rankings/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-4-25

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

Untitled-1-1-696x408.jpg.5128383585768b293328fb8174d4adcd.jpg

BANGKOK — Thailand this year rose two spots from last year on the press freedom index, according to a Wednesday

How ?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its not unchecked on here ..anyway I'm not thinking about it much at all...just makes my head hurt, much better to just have another beer.
Your joking right? The attacks on prayuth are Non stop!

No freedom of speech my ass. The only people that should be concerned are Facebook fanatics deeply distressed at not being able to trash the junta

Well I guess that covers 0000000.1% of the population

Life goes on [emoji16]
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Are you trying to tell me that I am crap at my job? (Lol!)

You are not posting unchecked. The Mod team take down lots of rude, miserable, libelous, off topic and troll posts every day.

I agree there are things I would like to say on here, that I cant. Mostly because I don't enjoy deleting my own posts!

Thailand has a very sad ranking of 140 from 180 for a reason. It doesn't allow true free speech. I am hoping that things will improve.

Then all I will have to worry about are the posters with no manners, rather than those who mention things that can not currently be mentioned.

God forbid, those posters learn to use the forum properly also. I will be out of a job! :smile:

Nah I meant unchecked in junta criticism not unchecked everything. At least it appears its open season on Prayut

• Haha 1

Just now, InMyShadow said:

Your joking right? The attacks on prayuth are Non stop!

No freedom of speech my ass. The only people that should be concerned are Facebook fanatics deeply distressed at not being able to trash the junta

Well I guess that covers 0000000.1% of the population

Life goes on emoji16.png

A Thai friend of mine took the view that he authorities didn't have anyone competent enough in English to understand what's being posted on TV. He said the same about the BP. Somehow I doubt this is true though as you don't need to have superb English reading abilities to grasp the general sentiment of what's being said. I've noticed the BP is more lenient in what you can say and what you can't compared with TV. Posters in there get away with a lot more, whether it's anti-junta sentiment or pro-junta sentiment.  Personal attacks are not unusual.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

A Thai friend of mine took the view that he authorities didn't have anyone competent enough in English to understand what's being posted on TV. He said the same about the BP. Somehow I doubt this is true though as you don't need to have superb English reading abilities to grasp the general sentiment of what's being said. I've noticed the BP is more lenient in what you can say and what you can't compared with TV. Posters in there get away with a lot more, whether it's anti-junta sentiment or pro-junta sentiment.  Personal attacks are not unusual.

I must be missing the obvious here, what exactly is BP? British Press, or perhaps some other forum?

13 hours ago, Norbert Halfwit said:

Thailand did not actually improve. It's just that other countries above it deteriorated more than Thailand and so sank below Thailand.

"Thailand’s neighboring countries such as Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines and Cambodia have fallen further in the ranking compared to last year."

Looking at https://rsf.org/en/ranking/2018 https://rsf.org/en/ranking/2017 https://rsf.org/en/ranking/2016

Thailand from 2016 to 2017 lost 6 points in the rankings (136 to 142) so its "improvement" in 2017 by only 2 points to 140 is hardly better.

Between 2017 and 2018:

• The Philippines lost 6 points from 127 to 133
  • Cambodia lost 10 points from 132 to 142
  • Myanmar lost 6 points from 131 to 137

So the significant deterioration in those three countries would artificially improve Thailand's ranking. Note that Malaysia lost only 1 point from 144 to 145 so it had an insignificant effect on Thailand's ranking change.

• Like 1

Now that thaksin has gone the press has improved.

He didnt restrict the media he just bought all the media companies and wnsured they printed nice things.

Besides given 99% on here cam barely speak thai never mind read it why is so many are commenting as if they are experts on what is being commented on?