Bangkok Bank Lost Passbook

3 hours ago, jerry921 said:

Wow. I'd close the account then. With your name, account number and some phony ID I think someone could drain your account. Does the passbook also have a copy of your official signature for them to practice signing (just to put all the security eggs in one basket...)

The signature is on the last page....can only be seen under a special black light.   

One purpose of an ID, which will usually have to be the person's passport for a farang, is so the bank can also compare ID photo against the individual presenting the ID.  Plus, getting a person's name, account number, and a phone ID is easy enough now....just throw in a phony passbook also.  But in reality its rare when a scammer can pull off withdrawing money with stolen/fake docs....sure it happens, but it's an extremely small percentage. 

I'm sure a person could open a new account if they wanted to, but the bank may have the person meet all the requirements for a new account which sometimes can be kinda hard/frustrating for farang such as having a long stay visa, a letter from their home country embassy, etc.   

Archived