What are your options when you are denied entry?

13 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Sorry to say but your memory is failing you.  I can assure you that there are no ATMs between any of the arrival gates and immigration at swampy.  There is, however, a money exchange booth as you have indicated but I do not know if they will give you cash against a credit card.  The only ATMs airside are located in the departures area which would mean that the person would need a valid onward ticket to access the departures area via the transfer security.

The matter of there being no ATMs airside in the arrivals area prior to immigration has been raised many times on this forum by people that have been stopped at immigration and asked to show funds to support their proposed stay.  Many have commented that there are ATMs just the other side of the immigration desk, but the IOs will not allow the individual to access them.  As a result many have been refused entry.

That was not the result of not having access to an ATM. Not having money is just the excuse for the IO, the real reason is different, and will quite often be suspected of working.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jspill said:

Because there are no ATMs before passport control, so you have to carry a wad of cash around before even embarking for Thailand, risk losing it en route and on the way to your hotel. Or even longer if you don't have a Thai bank account to deposit it into, or a hotel safe (not that they're always reliable). Until you've spent most of it.

A wad of cash?  20,000 baht is about  $666 USD.  If one is arriving on a Visa Exempt, which is good for 30 days,  $666 is not much to live on.  In addition, bringing in large bills from the USA anyway, gets you the best exchange rate, (100 crisp  bills).  Showing 600 bucks should not be a big deal.

12 hours ago, HerbalEd said:

Over the past 30-plus years I've entered Thailand by plane at least100 times -- with 30-day non-visa, with tourist visas, and, over the past 6 years, with a Thai Elite Visa. I've also done many border runs by land and air (many in same day).

During this time, I have NEVER been denied entry, nor asked to show any amount of money, or show any kind of onward ticket, or anything similar. In fact, I can't remember ever being asked anything.

This is because the rules started to get stricter in 2014 by which time you were already on a Elite Visa

If you are on a Elite Visa they are not going to ask you anything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

This is because the rules started to get stricter in 2014 by which time you were already on a Elite Visa

I have entered, left and returned many times since 2014 and have never been stopped or questioned and I do not have an Elite Visa.

5 minutes ago, Swimman said:

I have entered, left and returned many times since 2014 and have never been stopped or questioned and I do not have an Elite Visa.

So how do you enter? Non-immigrant visa (single or multiple), tourist visa (single or multiple), visa exempt or extension of stay with re-entry?

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So how do you enter? Non-immigrant visa (single or multiple), tourist visa (single or multiple), visa exempt or extension of stay with re-entry?

I enter legally with a re-entry permit. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why does it matter?

I have never been questioned either many different type of entries.

I guess they could randomly F with people but I cannot help think those small % who are questioned about the money, have some prior issue noted by immigration.

Bottom line follow the rules and be prepared.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Why does it matter?

I guess they could randomly F with people but I cannot help think those small % who are questioned about the money, have some prior issue noted by immigration.

It’s a combination of the history of time spent in the country as a ‘tourist’ and profiling. i.e. a twenty something is likely to get more hassle than a 40 something with the same history.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cacahootie said:

Because it's way safer and more convenient just to use an ATM or better yet a credit/debit card.  Granted, I will usually max the ATM for the sake of minimizing ATM fees, but having a fat wallet stuffed with cash is both physically and in terms of risk uncomfortable.  I've traveled all over the world for years, and have never had issues with ATMs.  I keep enough "safety money" in large bills to tide me over in case of issues, separate from my daily wallet, but aside from the immigration requirement (which has never been asked of me), I see no reason to subject myself to that level of cash-in-hand.  Besides, in my experience, using the ATM in-country ends up being the most cost-effective option in terms of fees and exchange rate penalty.  I'm lucky to get ATM fees refunded (up to $15/mo) even internationally, but even without, the exchange rate you'd get at a bank without hunting down a good-rate booth justifies just using an ATM and getting a mid-market rate.  Even better, my CC has a 0% FTF and gets the mid-market rate, so it is by far the cheapest option for payment whenever accepted.

I know some people who came of age when all card transactions were conducted on carbon paper may not trust the reliability of electronic systems, but any issue I've ever seen has been transitory, much less so than having an airport security person skim your wallet or having it fall out of your pants while sitting on the john.

lol buddy am not suggesting £3k in your/my wallet.

I have my own safety precautions for holding large folding which I wouldnt mention here but rest assured nobody is skimming my cash or hijacking it whilst sat on the carsie.

The day I'm forced for any reason to take just 20,000 in hard currency will be the last day I go

13 minutes ago, Chivas said:

lol buddy am not suggesting £3k in your/my wallet.

I have my own safety precautions for holding large folding which I wouldnt mention here but rest assured nobody is skimming my cash or hijacking it whilst sat on the carsie.

The day I'm forced for any reason to take just 20,000 in hard currency will be the last day I go

I have had too many days in the past where I spent 20,000 b in one day.

Usually 2 ladies, drinks, dinner, clubs, boom.... it can go quickly.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Why does it matter?

It matters a lot, they are not questioning people on Non O Non B etc

They are questioning people on TV's or VE and this is what this topic is about

There is a big difference

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Swimman said:

I enter legally with a re-entry permit. 

Thanks.

The questions are asked from people entering visa exempt or tourist visa but 'suspected' of living here. Since you have an extension of stay your situation is completely different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

Thanks.

The questions are asked from people entering visa exempt or tourist visa but 'suspected' of living here. Since you have an extension of stay your situation is completely different.

The question is never asked of my son but perhaps that is not surprising as he does not attempt to live here --  He comes for a holiday then goes back to his home!

On 4/27/2018 at 2:32 PM, Rdrokit said:

Like that in many countries. In the USA they can deny entry even if you have a visa.

In the USA and some other countries, the IOs have wide-leeway to wreck people's plans without any reasonable cause. 
Thai rules are different, so they can only deny those With A Visa for a few very specific reasons.  Some Thai IOs (some airports and the Poipet/Aranya crossing) seem to resent these restrictions, and have been reported to make up imaginary rules to deny entry to those with Tourist Visas, then stamp something different in the victim's passport.

But when it comes to visa-exempt entry, Thai IOs do have a wider legal latitude to deny entry, so for those staying for longer periods, visa-exempt entries are best made not at all, or only at a land border (other than Poipet/Aranya).  Personally, I never entered by air, even with a Tourist Visa and 20K Baht in cash, after I had a longer series of stays here.  Why risk it?

Edited by JackThompson

On 4/27/2018 at 11:33 AM, Thaidream said:

If someone is worried about losing their cash- get travelers checks- they are refundable if lost or stolen and can be cashed at any exchange outlet. In addition, they fulfill the requirement  at Immigration.

This is good advice.  I topped-off my ancient travelers checks to over 20K Baht worth (in USD) to ensure I don't get caught by this silly rule.

In 2018, someone's financial status is not related to the amount of cash in their wallet - but as others noted, it's not really about you having the money to support yourself in Thailand, it's about finding a technicality to use to deny-entry, based on something the IO or his boss thinks should be a rule (but isn't).

5 hours ago, elviajero said:

It’s a combination of the history of time spent in the country as a ‘tourist’ and profiling. i.e. a twenty something is likely to get more hassle than a 40 something with the same history.

You know this as a fact, do you? Or are you just assuming? 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Thai rules are different, so they can only deny those With A Visa for a few very specific reasons.  In the USA and some other countries, the IOs have wide-leeway to wreck people's plans without any reasonable cause.  Some Thai IOs (some airports and the Poipet/Aranya crossing) seem to resent these restrictions, and have been reported to make up imaginary rules to deny entry to those with Tourist Visas, then stamp something different in the victim's passport.

But when it comes to visa-exempt entry, Thai IOs do have a wider legal latitude to deny entry, so for those staying for longer periods, visa-exempt entries are best made not at all, or only at a land border (other than Poipet/Aranya).  Personally, I never entered by air, even with a Tourist Visa and 20K Baht in cash, after I had a longer series of stays here.  Why risk it?

Mmm -- You make a lot of noise but I suspect you have nothing other than anecdotal evidence to support what you are claiming. 

• Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Swimman said:

Mmm -- You make a lot of noise but I suspect you have nothing other than anecdotal evidence to support what you are claiming. 

What he is saying is correct and there is plenty of evidence from people on this forum who have been questioned/and or denied  to support his claim

I suggest you do a search and read the reports

51 minutes ago, Swimman said:
1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Thai rules are different, so they can only deny those With A Visa for a few very specific reasons.  In the USA and some other countries, the IOs have wide-leeway to wreck people's plans without any reasonable cause.  Some Thai IOs (some airports and the Poipet/Aranya crossing) seem to resent these restrictions, and have been reported to make up imaginary rules to deny entry to those with Tourist Visas, then stamp something different in the victim's passport.

Actually Jacks's summary of the rules are completely accurate. To confirm this, start with Section 12 of the Immigration Act of 1979. On visa exempt entries, this needs to be qualified by a Ministerial Order issued in 2014, which was further qualified by well publicized advice from the Prime Minister. The effect of everything is that those entering with a visa can only officially be denied entry for the reasons specified in Section 12 of the Immigration Act. Those entering visa exempt can additionally be denied entry if, in the official's opinion, you are using visa exempt entries as a means of extending a long stay in the country. (The Prime Minister's advice I referred to above was that this policy should be "applied flexibly".)

The attitudes of individual immigration officials referred to above is open to individual interpretation, but I happen to broadly agree with what Jack has to say, only saying that Westerners entering with an actual visa are rarely targeted by such officials (if, indeed, the impressions Jack and I have are correct).

6 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

I suggest you do a search and read the reports

I have -- There are very few 1st hand reports - and many anecdotal tales about 'friends of friends'. Of course one must also bear in mind that only one side of a story is related here. I wonder how many in % terms are refused entry? -- Millions are admitted every year without any apparent difficulty. 

8 minutes ago, Swimman said:

I have -- There are very few 1st hand reports - and many anecdotal tales about 'friends of friends'. Of course one must also bear in mind that only one side of a story is related here. I wonder how many in % terms are refused entry? -- Millions are admitted every year without any apparent difficulty. 

Well a first hand report from myself, I was stopped and questioned entering on a Visa Exempt 6 weeks ago

The "millions that are admitted every year" are not the type of people Immigration are looking at, they are Tourists that come and go or people who are here on Non O Non B, Elite etc, Immigration have no problem whatsoever with these kind of people, that's why they are not questioned/denied

You seem to have a problem understanding who Immigration are questioning/denying entry to despite it being clearly explained in simple terms by posters above

Edited by darrendsd

9 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Well a first hand report from myself, I was stopped and questioned entering on a Visa Exempt 6 weeks ago

The "millions that are admitted every year" are not the type of people Immigration are looking at, they are Tourists that come and go or people who are here on Non O Non B, Elite etc, Immigration have no problem whatsoever with these kind of people, that's why they are not questioned/denied

You seem to have a problem understanding who Immigration are questioning/denying entry to despite it being clearly explained in simple terms by posters above

It would be helpful if you could share the number of previous VE entries and if they happened in the same passport. Starting 2014 or 2015 would be of interest.

Then we can get a better impression of how the system works.

6 minutes ago, lkv said:

It would be helpful if you could share the number of previous VE entries and if they happened in the same passport. Starting 2014 or 2015 would be of interest.

Then we can get a better impression of how the system works.

6 spread over 3 Passports from 2016 onwards

Part of my objection to carrying cash is that cash is finished as a means of currency. In Australia and I'd guess in most 'developed' countries people just tap and go and very few people, unless they are part of the older generation, carry cash. There are even businesses that are card only and don't accept cash. The regime has even said that they want Thailand to become a cashless society so of course being Thailand they start enforcing a law forcing people arriving to carry cash. It is really inconcenient as there are ATMs on every corner.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Swimman said:

The best way to search this site's reports is to use google - in the search box:
denied airport site:thaivisa.com
... will get you started. 
Then also:
questioned airport site:thaivisa.com

After reading the actual laws (cited in a post above), read the relevant posts returned by google, and take note of the "non-rules" those rejected-entry or threatened with rejection are sometimes told - "too many entries" with regard to Tourist Visas (not a rule), "too many days" in a year (not a rule), even telling one guy he should "marry his girlfriend and go live in his country," because, "you are not wanted here."  A famous one at Poipet/Aranya checkpoint is, "You have to fly back in to come back." (I was told this one).

The only way to avoid this, if one stays here for longer-periods as a Tourist, is to avoid the points-of-entry where the problems are reported - Poipet/Aranya by land, plus the Bangkok and some other Airports (Chang Mai seems OK if you have a Visa).

Edited by JackThompson

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The best way to search this site's reports is to use google - in the search box:
denied airport site:thaivisa.com
... will get you started. 
Then also:
questioned airport site:thaivisa.com

After reading the actual laws (cited in a post above), read the relevant posts returned by google, and take note of the "non-rules" those rejected-entry or threatened with rejection are sometimes told - "too many entries" with regard to Tourist Visas (not a rule), "too many days" in a year (not a rule), even telling one guy he should "marry his girlfriend and go live in his country," because, "you are not wanted here."  A famous one at Poipet/Aranya checkpoint is, "You have to fly back in to come back." (I was told this one).

The only way to avoid this, if one stays here for longer-periods as a Tourist, is to avoid the points-of-entry where the problems are reported - Poipet/Aranya by land, plus the Bangkok and some other Airports (Chang Mai seems OK if you have a Visa).

Kanchanaburi can be added to that although the I/O's are very receptive in coming to a "agreement"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Part of my objection to carrying cash is that cash is finished as a means of currency. In Australia and I'd guess in most 'developed' countries people just tap and go and very few people, unless they are part of the older generation, carry cash. There are even businesses that are card only and don't accept cash. The regime has even said that they want Thailand to become a cashless society so of course being Thailand they start enforcing a law forcing people arriving to carry cash. It is really inconcenient as there are ATMs on every corner.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

"Part of my objection to carrying cash is that cash is finished as a means of currency." Try to buy something at the market or at a food stall with your card, you will find out how bad you need cash.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Chrisdoc said:

Australia and I'd guess in most 'developed' countries people just tap and go and very few people, unless they are part of the older generation, carry cash. 

My australian atm card 

Refunds the ATM charge

No bank currancy conversion charges

Much more convenient then finding a bank or money exchange.

So I can take what I need out when I need it.

• Like 1