Bill Cosby, once beloved 'America's Dad,' convicted of sexual assault

webfact

Bill Cosby, once beloved 'America's Dad,' convicted of sexual assault

By David DeKok

bc.jpg

Actor and comedian Bill Cosby exits the Montgomery County Courthouse after a jury convicted him in a sexual assault retrial in Norristown, Pennsylvania, U.S., April 26, 2018. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

NORRISTOWN, Pa. (Reuters) - Comedian Bill Cosby was convicted on Thursday of drugging and sexually assaulting a onetime friend in 2004, marking the first such conviction of a celebrity since the #MeToo movement that has brought down rich and powerful men for their treatment of women.

Cosby, 80, best known as the lovable father from the 1980s TV hit “The Cosby Show,” faces up to 10 years in prison for each of three counts of aggravated indecent assault against Andrea Constand, 45, following a three-week trial at the Montgomery County courthouse in Norristown, Pennsylvania.

After maintaining decorum throughout the trial, Cosby exploded following the verdict when prosecutors asked the judge to take him into custody, saying he was a flight risk in part because he owned a plane.

“He doesn’t have a plane, you asshole!” Cosby responded in a booming voice as he leapt to feet.

District Attorney Kevin Steele later remarked that with the outburst, “You got to see who he really was.”

As the verdict was read, Cosby looked down with a sad expression. Lili Bernard, one of his many accusers, began sobbing. Constand sat stone-faced.

Judge Steven O’Neill ruled Cosby could remain out of jail on $1 million bail pending sentencing at a later date, as long as he surrendered his passport and remained at home.

Cosby then left the courthouse with his lawyers and publicist.

“The fight will go on,” defense lawyer Thomas Mesereau told reporters, adding he would appeal the conviction.

Sentencing was expected within 60 to 90 days, after Cosby submits to a “sexually violent predator assessment.”

Although he could get up to 10 years for each count, state sentencing guidelines suggest a term of less than 10 years.

The conviction marks the downfall of a man once celebrated as “America’s Dad” but whose reputation was ruined after some 50 women accused him of similar offenses going back decades.

Cosby had been a transcendent figure in show business, coming up as a black comedian during the civil rights movement of the 1960s and winning over white audiences with a clean routine.

He went on to several successful television series when African-Americans were largely absent from TV. In “The Cosby Show” from 1984 to 1992, he played the wise and witty Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable, the father of an affluent black family.

All the while, his accusers say, he had been drugging and molesting women.

Only one of those cases was recent enough to be eligible for prosecution, that of Constand, a former administrator for the women’s basketball team at Temple University, Cosby’s alma mater. She had no comment after the verdict.

“The most important person in our team was Andrea Constand,” Steele, the district attorney, told reporters. “She was the first courageous person who stood up in public and went to authorities and said, ‘Bill Cosby drugged and raped me.’”

Attorney Gloria Allred, who represents 33 of the Cosby accusers, rejoiced that Cosby was found “guilty, guilty, guilty.”

“We are so happy that finally we can say, women are believed, and not only on #MeToo, but in a court of law,” Allred told reporters.

Other Cosby accusers celebrated the verdict with hugs, cries, and applause.

“I feel like my faith in humanity is restored,” Bernard said.

The seven-man, five-woman jury reached a unanimous verdict after deliberating for 14 hours over two days.

Less than year ago, a different jury was deadlocked after six days of deliberations on the same charges, prompting the judge to declare a mistrial.

Soon after the first trial, a series of women leveled sexual assault and harassment accusations against men in media, entertainment and politics, giving rise to the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements that encouraged women go public with personal stories of abuse, in some cases after years of silence.

Like many of Cosby’s other accusers, Constand said she was drugged and violated while unable to defend herself.

Cosby has said any sexual encounters were consensual, and his lawyers portrayed the accusers as fabricating stories in search of wealth and fame.

“Mob rule is not due process,” defense lawyer Kathleen Bliss said, referring to the #MeToo movement.

U.S. President Donald Trump has been accused by several women of sexual misconduct, including after the release during the 2016 presidential campaign of a video in which he had spoken in vulgar terms about trying to have sex with women. He later called it “locker room banter” and his campaign issued an apology to anyone who was offended.

Trump, whose inauguration and first anniversary as president were met with nationwide women’s protests, denies accusations of sexual misconduct and accuses rival Democrats and the media of a smear campaign. He faces a defamation lawsuit from Summer Zervos, a contestant on his former reality show who accuses him of sexually harassing her. Trump’s lawyer has said her accusations are false and politically motivated.

Constand testified she went to Cosby’s house to discuss a potential career change when he gave her three blue pills he said would relax her.

She said the pills made her feel woozy, and when she was jolted awake Cosby was digitally penetrating her vagina, touching her breasts and masturbating himself with her hand.

The prosecution case was bolstered by the five additional accusers who were allowed to testify, each saying they, too, were drugged and violated. In the first trial, O’Neill allowed only one accuser besides Constand to take the witness stand.

(Reporting by David DeKok; Writing by Daniel Trotta; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-04-27
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Oh how the mighty fall... his days of disrespecting women has came

around to bite him on the arse, big time, now at 80 years old he will

have to do jail time, i bet he never ever thought it will come to that....

Perhaps you can tell us just how to respect the other half of the world's population who obviously never ever disrespect men.

• Confused 1

He deserves what he's getting now, but I don't think that should totally erase the record of his talent in the past. His talent was so great that Jerry Seinfeld has said he was his major influence. I remember the earlier years when he did live comedy in front of large crowds and had best selling albums. Yes I saw him live at such an event and bought and loved his albums. Not such a big fan of the later Dr. Huxtable stuff though, too boring. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I tend to agree this has nothing to do with the Me Too movement. This is all about a guy who was abusive for decades, and had no respect for women. I have lived in LA before, and have seen first hand how young, gorgeous women act around celebrity, and the industry. He did not have to do any of this. It was a pathological defect that caused all this craziness in this man. There were millions who would have given themselves to him, quite willingly. He got what he deserves. Often in America one can buy their way out of a crime, with enough money to throw at a legal team, as was the case with OJ. Enough millions spent, and the legal team creates doubt in the minds of the jury. But, this time justice prevailed. None of the defensive strategies worked. Maybe the victim's testimony was just too compelling. 

Hopefully we will see Weinstein go to the slammer too. Predators have no place in society, other than our president, LOL. Another slime ball bites the dust. Happy. A very good day for women, and victims of this kind of nonsense. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to agree this has nothing to do with the Me Too movement. This is all about a guy who was abusive for decades, and had no respect for women. I have lived in LA before, and have seen first hand how young, gorgeous women act around celebrity, and the industry. He did not have to do any of this. It was a pathological defect that caused all this craziness in this man. There were millions who would have given themselves to him, quite willingly. He got what he deserves. Often in America one can buy their way out of a crime, with enough money to throw at a legal team, as was the case with OJ. Enough millions spent, and the legal team creates doubt in the minds of the jury. But, this time justice prevailed. None of the defensive strategies worked. Maybe the victim's testimony was just too compelling. 

Hopefully we will see Weinstein go to the slammer too. Predators have no place in society, other than our president, LOL. Another slime ball bites the dust. Happy. A very good day for women, and victims of this kind of nonsense. 

And Robert Wagner!

This AXXHOLE could have all the prime puxxy that he wanted,but perfered to DRUG them instead of any other way.I hope that he gets from 5-10 years behind bars.He also has cival law suits comming up in June that will cost him millions and millions.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Although he could get up to 10 years for each count, state sentencing guidelines suggest a term of less than 10 years.

Gaol him for the maximum period. 

Make him serve each sentence consecutively. 

Rapists deserve no mercy. 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He deserves what he's getting now, but I don't think that should totally erase the record of his talent in the past. His talent was so great that Jerry Seinfeld has said he was his major influence. I remember the earlier years when he did live comedy in front of large crowds and had best selling albums. Yes I saw him live at such an event and bought and loved his albums. Not such a big fan of the later Dr. Huxtable stuff though, too boring. 

Jimmy savile and rolf harris were beloved of many before their dirty little secrets were aired.

People like this use their talent and popularity as a shield to avoid scrutiny and justice. 

I have no sympathy for such people and certainly dismiss their talent as  means of according them respect.

Preying on weak makes them abhorrent.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Expatthailover said:

Jimmy savile and rolf harris were beloved of many before their dirty little secrets were aired.

People like this use their talent and popularity as a shield to avoid scrutiny and justice. 

I have no sympathy for such people and certainly dismiss their talent as  means of according them respect.

Preying on weak makes them abhorrent.

Well that is 1 thing that we agree on.:stoner:

3 hours ago, car720 said:

Perhaps you can tell us just how to respect the other half of the world's population who obviously never ever disrespect men.

Easy;

- If they harrass people get a court order to keep away.

- If they break the law charge them.

It's a two-way street.

Travesty. Cosby is a rich man, not a desperado. Recreational drugs for relaxation before sex are commonplace - usually alcohol. Drugs, like alcohol, affects people in different ways, and miscalculations are also commonplace, and there's no reason to believe that he intended doing anyone any harm.

In any case, nobody wants to have sex with a comatose woman and they can't prove there were comatose, only victims of their own sense of guilt afterwards (in this case many years afterwards). Cosby needed a better lawyer.

Really this is symptomatic of an increasingly mentally frail society. It's the veritable promotion of meekness. Cosby is another victim of the now rampant perception of victimhood. Women now seem to be absolved of taking all responsiblity for their own actions.

The 'problem' society is busy trying to eradicate is unfortunately 'human nature', which is often no more than people pressing their advantage. One should watch out for oneself - not run to the courts and destroy lives.

The end result will be a denatured society hardly worth living in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

apparently canada passed a law that says if a women that has sex with a man was drinking alcohol prior it is considered rape even if she is still in control of herself.

dont many thai freelancers-bar girls self medicate with drugs and alcohol to be able to go with customers?

49 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Better that than a deranged society where rapists are defended and their victims blamed for the actions of such ineffable scum. 

Such immoderate language. That proves your reason is swayed by your emotions and therefore your opinion may be comprehensively ignored.

It wasn't rape. They were adults. They knew each other. They voluntarily got themselves into an intimate situation. They weren't locked in. They knowingly took the quaaludes (or whatever it was) and adults should know what that's about.

It's only years later when they learned that it happened to others that they decide they regretted it and to salve their own consciences claim they were 'assaulted'. It's to bolster their own self-esteem and garner the quota of sympathy and attention that society (especially the media) is now too keen to dole out. That much sympathy and attention is irresistible - especially, it seems, to women.

No, I wouldn't want to live in a society where there is no risk-taking, no edge, no personal responsibility for your own actions. Sexual situations involve highly subtle, fluid dynamics. There is some risk, possibly even of some 'depravity'. Good. Where would sex be without a touch of depravity? (to quote Seinfeld).

One simply has to know the routines and act responsibly. If these women were upset at what happened, the judge should tell them to act more responsibly in future. At worst, a moderate compensation might be appropriate - certainly not a destroyed life (not to mention those of Cosby's family too, over whom this will be a punishment forever). That's way out of proportion, and only snowflakes, puritans, and members of the Faith Militant would think it appropriate.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CharlesSwann said:

Such immoderate language. That proves your reason is swayed by your emotions and therefore your opinion may be comprehensively ignored.

It wasn't rape. They were adults. They knew each other. They voluntarily got themselves into an intimate situation. They weren't locked in. They knowingly took the quaaludes (or whatever it was) and adults should know what that's about.

It's only years later when they learned that it happened to others that they decide they regretted it and to salve their own consciences claim they were 'assaulted'. It's to bolster their own self-esteem and garner the quota of sympathy and attention that society (especially the media) is now too keen to dole out. That much sympathy and attention is irresistible - especially, it seems, to women.

No, I wouldn't want to live in a society where there is no risk-taking, no edge, no personal responsibility for your own actions. Sexual situations involve highly subtle, fluid dynamics. There is some risk, possibly even of some 'depravity'. Good. Where would sex be without a touch of depravity? (to quote Seinfeld).

One simply has to know the routines and act responsibly. If these women were upset at what happened, the judge should tell them to act more responsibly in future. At worst, a moderate compensation might be appropriate - certainly not a destroyed life (not to mention those of Cosby's family too, over whom this will be a punishment forever). That's way out of proportion, and only snowflakes, puritans, and members of the Faith Militant would think it appropriate.

He drugged and raped the women. 

That makes him scum in my eyes. 

I hope he rots in gaol. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I wish this news story and others would stop trying to tie this to the #MeToo movement; it is not really a reasonable proposition. Cosby was accused, tried, acquitted and recharged all before the #MeToo movement really got underway.

I am a firm believer in the concept of innocence until proven guilty and am always wary of a celebrity getting accused; they tend to attract a lot of wackos. However, in  Cosby's case there were over 50 women accusing him of sexual assault and other sex crimes; when there is that much smoke I tend to believe that there is fire. A lot of fire.

It is weird; I remember watching the Cosby show in my younger days and he really was a 'magical' father-figure to many, including me. Yes, I know it was TV, but for a while there I am sure many people thought that it would be nice to have him as a 'Dad'.

To paraphrase; sometimes reality is uglier than fiction.

Rot in jail old man.

I haven't followed the Cosby case especially closely but if memory serves me correctly he admitted in a deposition to lacing the drinks of ladies in the past.

Foolish fellow to me.    If he had such a strong sexual drive I wonder why he didn't go to one of the many sex haunts throughout the world..

I suppose he wanted to keep his fake image in tact all the while he was using  the women around him.

He won't get 30 years. Based on sentencing guidelines there, more like a few years. I suppose if his health rapidly breaks down now (understandable) he might even be able to dodge that. Also I assume he's a suicide risk. Imagine being a very wealthy famous man most of your life and then this at that age. Putting unwell 80 year olds in jail isn't ideal. Again, too bad it took this long for justice to kick in. 

Edited by Jingthing