Vietnam asked to lift unfair restriction on Thai cars

Vietnam asked to lift unfair restriction on Thai cars

export (1).jpg

Thailand has demanded Vietnam to lift what it alleged as discriminatory import restriction on cars exported to Vietnam, including cars from Thailand.

The issue was been raised with the Technical Barriers to Trade Committee of the World Trade Organization by the Commerce Ministry in coordination with the United States, Japan and European Union.

Foreign Trade Department director-general Mrs Oramon Sapthaveetham said that Vietnam’s technical barrier was discriminatory and gave favour to cars assembled in Vietnam at the disadvantage to imported cars, which does not conform with WTO agreement.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/vietnam-asked-to-lift-unfair-restriction-on-thai-cars/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-04-29
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Is that higher price scenario limited  to only European car brands?

I think so

Just going off the vehicle I bought (even though expensive considering ) it was made in Indonesia for Toyota.

It certainly wasn't a 400 % mark up

Actually the cars built here are taxed in a kind of way. There are some mild import taxes on the parts imported to fit out the shells ( hence why the sedans cost more then the west )

Japan is pissed withe this

The reason you see alot of Utes around is due to the fact they are tax exempt ( farm vehicle )

4 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

I think so

Just going off the vehicle I bought (even though expensive considering ) it was made in Indonesia for Toyota.

It certainly wasn't a 400 % mark up

Actually the cars built here are taxed in a kind of way. There are some mild import taxes on the parts imported to fit out the shells ( hence why the sedans cost more then the west )

Japan is pissed withe this

The reason you see alot of Utes around is due to the fact they are tax exempt ( farm vehicle )

It makes buying a large  Ute tempting if it weren't for  having to navigate narrow sois. 

I already    nearly close my eyes at times thinking I'm going to hit something with just driving my saloon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjnaus said:

Doesn't Thailand do exactly the same thing? Isn't that why European car brands are sold at insane prices here?

No, if you care to read the article their complaint has nothing to do with import taxes but a new environmental and safety check, although I can't imagine such a thing is against WTO rules, it is not an unfair disadvantage to ensure that all products imported meet local regulations, it is a right and one seen exercised by every Western country.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If the import charge on cheese was removed, the cost of a block of Mature English Cheddar at Tops would drop from 350 baht, to 345 baht almost overnight!

Getting a little of topic, but I just did a google search to Auss & here are the figures

Mainland 250 gr block cheese ( I think this is the brand in Tesco ) 180 bht

If so & I was to buy a Kilo this way I would save $10 Aud in Auss

17 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If the import charge on cheese was removed, the cost of a block of Mature English Cheddar at Tops would drop from 350 baht, to 345 baht almost overnight!

A block?

You mean the little piece?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

No, if you care to read the article their complaint has nothing to do with import taxes but a new environmental and safety check, although I can't imagine such a thing is against WTO rules, it is not an unfair disadvantage to ensure that all products imported meet local regulations, it is a right and one seen exercised by every Western country.

Your right , need to read 

I don't think their is any restrictions 

They are just checking that the vehicles come up to scratch, in which Thailand is complaining about an extra small fee & minor delay 

They sold 37,000 to them last yr

5 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Getting a little of topic, but I just did a google search to Auss & here are the figures

Mainland 250 gr block cheese ( I think this is the brand in Tesco ) 180 bht

If so & I was to buy a Kilo this way I would save $10 Aud in Auss

Since the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement they have been slowly phasing out all taxes on Australian products, dairy was among the last to go, but it did in 2015, there is now no tax or duty on imported Australian cheese, however it remains a chilled product that requires air freighting and so remains at a higher price than in Australia.  But, this topic is not about import taxes, nor cheese, so do try to get back on topic, which is environmental and safety checks imposed by Vietnam on car imports.

2 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Er....I was merely suggesting the consumer would see no price decrease and that the retailer would simply absorb any cost reduction into their profit margin - when have you seen the price of something fall here!.

Sugar, the price has fallen since last year by two baht.

3 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

They are just checking that the vehicles come up to scratch, in which Thailand is complaining about an extra small fee & minor delay 

Or they are running scared of what they might find out regarding the safety of their vehicles, considering the death toll, there may well be something they know that we don't, and who knows, it could be a little something that if it came out it could ruin their export market.

3 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Or they are running scared of what they might find out regarding the safety of their vehicles, considering the death toll, there may well be something they know that we don't, and who knows, it could be a little something that if it came out it could ruin their export market.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Sugar, the price has fallen since last year by two baht.

Surely I didn't need to spell it out, a meaningful fall in prices rather than interday trading price changes of commodities!

47 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Since the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement they have been slowly phasing out all taxes on Australian products, dairy was among the last to go, but it did in 2015, there is now no tax or duty on imported Australian cheese, however it remains a chilled product that requires air freighting and so remains at a higher price than in Australia.  But, this topic is not about import taxes, nor cheese, so do try to get back on topic, which is environmental and safety checks imposed by Vietnam on car imports.

just bought a pack of 6 beefy slices of emmental cheese . (president brand) holland import, at cambodia retail supermarket 2 usd . (64 baht0 . that is after cooled shipping.  

makro has decent thailand made cheese that is not overpriced

35 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Surely I didn't need to spell it out, a meaningful fall in prices rather than interday trading price changes of commodities!

Its a trading price that has been reflected in the retail price rather than as you suggested, absorbed by the retailer, it does actually disprove your argument.

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Its a trading price that has been reflected in the retail price rather than as you suggested, absorbed by the retailer, it does actually disprove your argument.

Which part of "meaningful" do you not understand!