Owning a motorcycle in Bangkok

chakki

Hi all,

I am currently located in Sathorn and will be in Thailand for another 8 to 10 months. I currently hold Driving license from Karnataka, India. 

What is the easy procedure to use two wheeler in Bangkok? Is owning possible being an expat? If so, is it better idea than renting a bike for 10 months?

Please advice me on what is the common practice for foreigners in Thailand.

Thanks,
Chakradhar

You have to get a Thai driving license (if you don't leave the country anymore in these 8 to 10 months) and you can buy a motorcycle if you want. Buying and then selling is probably cheaper, but renting one is of course easier, so depends on what you prefer and are willing to spend.

Traffic is crazy in Thailand and especially in BKK, but probably you are used to this from India :P

I think you are allowed to use your indian license if it's international, up to a point. But would be wise to get a Thai driving license, and actually a surprisingly fast and cheap process (compared to western countries). Just go to the DLT in Chatuchak, bring all documents with you. Check this guide: https://iglu.net/how-to-get-a-thai-driving-license/

To register a bike in your name you need either a WP or certificate of residence (obtained from your embassy in Bangkok). If you can get that sorted, then no problem.

To rent will cost you about 2000-3000b per month for a scooter. To buy a second hand scooter you can get a decent one for maybe 25 000b, check FB marketplace and buy/sell groups etc.

So in the end you may save a little bit, but if it's worth it is a different question.

For me personally, having a bike in Bangkok is now a must. But I managed just fine the first 2 years without one. You are used to driving in India, so this should be a walk in the park :)

In case that you are new in Bangkok and/or in that area: I suggest drive with the motorcycle taxis for some time. I did this when I arrived in Bangkok and I got used to all the important shortcuts and they way to drive here. I.e. don't open up the throttle just because the light switched to green...

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In case that you are new in Bangkok and/or in that area: I suggest drive with the motorcycle taxis for some time. I did this when I arrived in Bangkok and I got used to all the important shortcuts and they way to drive here. I.e. don't open up the throttle just because the light switched to green...

...so, keep throttle closed ?

?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, papa al said:

...so, keep throttle closed ?

?

It's a good and life saving idea to wait first until all those people who decided to ignore red pass. And then to look in every possible direction for others who decided this is the perfect moment to cross the street from an unexpected angle.

Some time ago in a country far away I started to accelerate the moment the light switched to green. In Thailand I normally wait a second or two longer and I am sure that is one reason why I am still alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Careful doing that, or you might just find a pick-up truck up your butt...

Yes, that is also important.

That is a reason why I think twice before I break for pedestrians even on a zebra crossing with red light. Because not so seldom there is a truck or car behind me whose driver has no intention to stop. If I am sure nobody behind me will run me over if I stop then I will do that. But on some zebra crossings (i.e. Asoke) the chance is maybe 50/50.

And these are exactly the "rules" which new drivers in town better learn before they participate in the traffic chaos.

3 hours ago, papa al said:

So BKK mocy taxis wait 1 or 2 seconds after light changes green before they apply throttle?

You learned to do that by riding with them?

How often do you see motorcycle taxi drivers involved in accidents?

Personally I see that very seldom and I guess the reason is that mostly they know what they are doing.

I saw very few of them accelerating hard as soon as the light switched to green. That is something new drivers (in town) do - and sometimes with horrific consequences.

But it seems you know that all anyhow. Why don't you add something useful to this thread?

• Like 1

On 30/04/2018 at 9:11 PM, chakki said:

I am currently located in Sathorn and will be in Thailand for another 8 to 10 months. I currently hold Driving license from Karnataka, India. 

What is the easy procedure to use two wheeler in Bangkok? Is owning possible being an expat? If so, is it better idea than renting a bike for 10 months?

You will have to get a Thai licence within 90 days of being in Thailand as all your insurance (apart from the basic) becomes invalid after that, almost certainly including any medical insurance. 

I bought one one used it for about 8 months then sold it back to the shop I bought it from AFIR I got 4,000 less than I paid and in that time rode to Chang Mei and Singapore, so yes you can.

You need to apply for international license for 2 wheeler once you get the visa in India. Go to nearby transport department. The validity of license is equal to your validity of stay

Instead of buying new bike you can rent a normal bike for 5k baht a month.

or just stick with BTS or BRT otherwise you will have to pay hefty parking charges. Sathorn is well connected to to both BTS and BRT

Edited by Thaidude

37 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally I see that very seldom and I guess the reason is that mostly they know what they are doing.

I saw very few of them accelerating hard as soon as the light switched to green. That is something new drivers (in town) do - and sometimes with horrific consequences.

But it seems you know that all anyhow. Why don't you add something useful to this thread?

OK

To develop riding skills for BKK,

don't ride on seat behind mocy taxi.

No,

get your own bike and follow one closely.

Once learned, & you want to go for 2nd degree black belt,

follow pizza delivery guys.

Taxis accelerate hard sometimes,

and slowly other times.

Thats why you follow them,

to learn.

Pizza guys...go go go.

Do not sit for a second or two at a green light.

Unless to avoid late-light-runners or something.

That will sorely piss off everyone around

except maybe one farang.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have seen 3 Motorcycle taxi drivers in accidents in 5 years, 2 was in the same accident when they bumped into each other overtaking the taxi I was sitting in on one side each.

Also a friend of was riding a MC taxi between Sukhumvit Soi 13 to 19 and had a severe accident, a car pushed them off the road on to the walk path. My friend was ok, but the Driver was nor. Not dead tho.

1 hour ago, malt25 said:

Why do you need a Thai license to purchase a bike ? I bought a new bike last week & no mention of a license. Large dealership. Did everything by the book. Copied every page of my passport. Residence certificate from IO. So I guess you can buy with or without  license.

Why would you want to purchase a bike in a foreign country and not have a license?  Just curious. 

34 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Why would you want to purchase a bike in a foreign country and not have a license?  Just curious. 

I have had both car & bike license for some time. I was replying to & contradicting "You have to get a Thai driving license"

Cheers.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 4:11 PM, chakki said:

I currently hold Driving license from Karnataka, India. 

Staying more than 3-month in Thailand, you by Law need to obtain a Thai driving license. It's a fairly easy process, you might find information a pinned thread in a local forum. Proof-of-address is normally a letter issued by the local Immigration office, but different areas may have little different rules, so check in a local sub-forum if there's a tread there; also what the Immigration office require of documentation.

Buying a motorbike you'll need proof of address for registration at the Land Transport Office. see above paragraph.

The mandatory vehicle insurance – which you need to get a registration, or renew a registration for another year – covers next-to-nothing. If you depend on a travel insurance, remember to read the small prints, both for how long time the insurances covers you (often only a few month), and if I covers driving a motorbike at all. Without proper insurance cover you take a risk of being held personal liable if an accident happens. both for third party damage, and your own hospital bills.

In general second-hand prices are quite high in Thailand, presumably due to low labor costs for repairs – which can be a benefit when re-selling a vehicle. However it's a question of calculation when you talk about 8-10 month, compared to just renting a bike; you might be able to negotiate a discount for a long term rent.

:smile:

3 hours ago, malt25 said:

Why do you need a Thai license to purchase a bike ? I bought a new bike last week & no mention of a license. Large dealership. Did everything by the book. Copied every page of my passport. Residence certificate from IO. So I guess you can buy with or without  license.

You don't need a Driver's License to buy a vehicle, but you need one to drive a vehicle...:wink:

Edited by khunPer

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

You don't need a Driver's License to buy a vehicle, but you need one to drive a vehicle...:wink:

You think ! Try telling that to thousands & thousands of Thais. They seem to do ok without a license.

10 hours ago, papa al said:

So BKK mocy taxis wait 1 or 2 seconds after light changes green before they apply throttle?

You learned to do that by riding with them?

sounds like a good way to get rear ended

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Always wash your hands after going to the toilet 

17 hours ago, malt25 said:

I never said that he needs a driving license to purchase a bike. His first question was "What is the easy procedure to use two wheeler in Bangkok?" and my response to get a Thai driving license was related to this.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

I never said that he needs a driving license to purchase a bike. His first question was "What is the easy procedure to use two wheeler in Bangkok?" and my response to get a Thai driving license was related to this.

OP’s question..... What is the easy procedure to use two wheeler in Bangkok? Is owning possible being an expat?

Your response..... You have to get a Thai driving license.

The reality is..... No one, Thai national or farang, needs a license to purchase or ride a motorcycle in Thailand. The license IS NOT required for purchase. The license is a legal requirement, common sense & a bloody good idea. My “guess” is there’s many, many thousand unlicensed riders in Thailand whose bike operates quite well without rider having a license.

So, the easiest procedure is go & buy a bike & ride it. Maybe not smart or legal, but LOS is neither smart or overly interested in legality of anything.

19 minutes ago, malt25 said:

OP’s question..... What is the easy procedure to use two wheeler in Bangkok? Is owning possible being an expat?

Your response..... You have to get a Thai driving license.

The reality is..... No one, Thai national or farang, needs a license to purchase or ride a motorcycle in Thailand. The license IS NOT required for purchase. The license is a legal requirement, common sense & a bloody good idea. My “guess” is there’s many, many thousand unlicensed riders in Thailand whose bike operates quite well without rider having a license.

So, the easiest procedure is go & buy a bike & ride it. Maybe not smart or legal, but LOS is neither smart or overly interested in legality of anything.

These are obviously two questions, just count the number of question marks if in doubt. As i explained already my response with the driving license was to the first question.

Because many Thais drive without license you advise OP to drive without license, should he also drive without helmet and while drunk, same as many Thais? Are you also willing to pay his hospital bill if he has an accident without a license and health insurance refuses to pay?

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

These are obviously two questions, just count the number of question marks if in doubt. As i explained already my response with the driving license was to the first question.

Because many Thais drive without license you advise OP to drive without license, should he also drive without helmet and while drunk, same as many Thais? Are you also willing to pay his hospital bill if he has an accident without a license and health insurance refuses to pay?

Ok, you win ! you have more time to waste than me.