YET ANOTHER Beer Tax Hike?

GanDoonToonPet

There's been so many, with increasing frequency, that I'm not sure if this is the delayed last one or a new one... :shock1:

I went to my local 'mom & pop' shop (in BKK) this evening to buy my usual 4 bottles of Tiger. They informed me that they have no stock because 'Makro no have for 2 months'. When I asked why, they said it was because the tax is going up again. I then strolled to the next shop for my backup beer - Archa. They informed that Archa had increased by 15B a bottle! I thought I was hearing things as this is almost a 30% increase. :sad:

Anyone have any similar beer-buying experiences today? 

Well I was in Big C earlier and noticed a case of 12 large Leo was down to 604 baht (10 baht less than Makro).....

So I would suggest it is just a delay from the previous increase which could be taken positively or not............:thumbsup:

Bought some yesterday and my Leo case has gone up a bit.

Cases of wine, those box things you put in the fridge, have gone up somewhat, used to get them for under 800 baht now it is just under 1000. They are a good percentage fruit juice anyhow! Mrs won't be happy but she is back on something cheaper!

If your a beer and wine drinking brexit brit with pounds time to sober up. And as Mar Sol 4lt red at 780tb has disappeared from every corner of CM its coffee time stick the tax and dream of Asda.  

• Confused 2

46 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

A 5l box of Montclair wine just went up from about 960 to 1300 Baht, I'm stopping drinking now for good.

These are virtually non existent now. Only Mont Clair in 3 litre cartons at 1000 Baht a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Bought some yesterday and my Leo case has gone up a bit.

Cases of wine, those box things you put in the fridge, have gone up somewhat, used to get them for under 800 baht now it is just under 1000. They are a good percentage fruit juice anyhow! Mrs won't be happy but she is back on something cheaper!

I'd be interested to know where you can buy white wine in a box for under1000, info' please.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

A 5l box of Montclair wine just went up from about 960 to 1300 Baht, I'm stopping drinking now for good.

That is my experience too, a massive increase by any standards.

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

Well a 2 litre bottle of Mont Clair is 637 baht in Big C here in Udon Thani whereas a 3 litre box is 999, so the bottle is cheaper per litre than the box. Crazy. But it gets crazier. Yesterday I was charged 524 for the 2 litre bottle!

There is definitely some price gauging going on somewhere. These increases are nothing like what was put forward by the new Customs laws, we're looking at eg an increase from 400baht 2l Mont Clair to 750baht, that's a 60% increase. I believe the importers / wholesalers are having field day on overcharging. Shame we can't get together and boycott buying these products and force the prices back down. Would be nice to hear from someone who has a contact with the importers to see what their side of the story is?

57 minutes ago, Puritan said:

I'd be interested to know where you can buy white wine in a box for under1000, info' please.

Well it was red actually and as I said it wasn't just wine but a blend with fruit juice. It was about 999 baht in BigC-X, Pattaya. I think the Mrs said similar price in Tesco (Laem Chabang). Sorry wasn't looking at whites.

1 hour ago, Tbone999 said:

There is definitely some price gauging going on somewhere. These increases are nothing like what was put forward by the new Customs laws, we're looking at eg an increase from 400baht 2l Mont Clair to 750baht, that's a 60% increase. I believe the importers / wholesalers are having field day on overcharging. Shame we can't get together and boycott buying these products and force the prices back down. Would be nice to hear from someone who has a contact with the importers to see what their side of the story is?

I have already "Boycotted" the so called "WINE " boxes....It was EXPENSIVE CRAP before and now it is EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE CRAP!

Also I have spoken to my friendly local booze suppliers who have in most cases stopped  selling it because it is too expensive to buy and no one wants it, certainly at these insane prices.

Not sure what the Junta had in mind with this?...Was it to boost Thai wine sales and protect the Thai wine producers?....Was it to raise extra revenue from Tax?....Or is it just yet another Farang "RIPOFF"?.....Either way it seems it has Backfired HUGELY!

Even Makro and Tesco on Samui have either stopped selling or run out of "Pre-Tax" stocks and are only selling the 3 Litre CRAP at 999.

I wonder if after a rethink they will change their minds.....Oh no...That would be the sensible things to do...PRICKS!

Edited by Mario666
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

I have already "Boycotted" the so called "WINE " boxes....It was EXPENSIVE CRAP before and now it is EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE CRAP!

Also I have spoken to my friendly local booze suppliers who have in most cases stopped  selling it because it is too expensive to buy and no one wants it, certainly at these insane prices.

Not sure what the Junta had in mind with this?...Was it to boost Thai wine sales and protect the Thai wine producers?....Was it to raise extra revenue from Tax?....Or is it just yet another Farang "RIPOFF"?.....Either way it seems it has Backfired HUGELY!

Even Makro and Tesco on Samui have either stopped selling or run out of "Pre-Tax" stocks and are only selling the 3 Litre CRAP at 999.

I wonder if after a rethink they will change their minds.....Oh no...That would be the sensible things to do...PRICKS!

It must be a better deal to buy real wine as opposed to fruit mix alcohol ?

59 minutes ago, Mario666 said:

How about to reduce the social issue of Thai alcohol over consumption.. 

Which based on the 'boycott' tally in this thread alone seems to work. 

Thailand is no longer cheap.. Go earn more money, sort your finances out, or leave.. Its not here to accommodate  every unprepared pensioner.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, superal said:

It must be a better deal to buy real wine as opposed to fruit mix alcohol ?

You'll never tell the difference after the second bottle. And what is Sangria made from?

Edited by wgdanson
  • Haha 1

Yes congratulation Thai government.

The wife used to have a glass of wine or two every evening.

So, the government got their share of the already outrageous tax.

When she saw the price increase she said no more.

1000 baht for 3L of that boxed swill is ridiculous.

And total tax donations from us has shrunk to a nice round zero.

I heard Thailand was considering joining the TPP. Would that mean they'd allow actual real wine from the producing countries in duty free?

I'll believe that when I see it...the oligopolies don't want anyone eating their pie.

But a glass of that crappy wine in a restaurant was going for 150 baht.

Now I guess it will be 200 plus.

Good luck with that, its more expensive than most western countries where you don't drink a fruit juice mix.

Another brilliantly conceived plan.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

Malaysia also had a recent beer and ax hike, and not so long ago raised the drinking age from 18 to 21

You'll just have to wait until you're older to drink then.

17 hours ago, topt said:

Well I was in Big C earlier and noticed a case of 12 large Leo was down to 604 baht (10 baht less than Makro).....

How would you even notice that?    I've been buying groceries in the same supermarket for 6 years and couldn't tell you the exact price of anything.   

I have an approximate idea what I pay for milk, eggs, bread, etc but to notice a price increase they'd have to double or more.   No way would I notice a 10 baht change.