Labor Protection Dept reminds employers workers must have National Labor Day off

webfact

Labor Protection Dept reminds employers workers must have National Labor Day off

PNSOC610501001000801.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 May 2018 (NNT) – The Department of Labor Protection and Welfare (DLPW) has reminded employers to follow labor protection laws on the occasion of National Labor Day today. 

DLPW Director-General Ananchai Uthaipatttanacheep reminded ahead of National Labor Day, marked on May 1 of each year that workers are legally entitled to a day off with pay.

He pointed out that in businesses where a day off for all workers would not be possible, such as at hotels, medical facilities and restaurants, employers must promise their employees a compensatory holiday or provide them with pay on an alternate day off.

Those working on this holiday are entitled to pay at least double that of their normal daily rate, over time work must be compensated at a rate of over three times the daily rate and those made to work today despite having the day off must be paid more than twice their usual rate. 

Employers who fail to comply with regulations governing the day will face up to 6 months imprisonment and a fine up to 100,000 baht or both. Employees are urged to contact the DLPW with any queries through its offices or by calling its hotline 1506 ext 3. 

Labor laws mandate that workers are entitled to no less than 13 paid days off for holidays per year, which includes National Labor Day.

Bangkok officials marked the holiday this morning with an alms giving to nine monks in the area of the Royal Turf Club of Thailand. A procession in honor of His Majesty the King is to take place with over 6,000 laborers expected to join. Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-ocha is scheduled to launch Labor Day activities later today and meet with laborers to hear their wishes.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-01

Yes, the junta wants the slaves to get at least a little bit of rest - so that they can labour and slave away all the harder on all the other slave days of the year!

And don't let them dare get together in groups of four or more and have the temerity to talk about the politics of THEIR nation!

Edited by Eligius
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

"Those working on this holiday are entitled to pay at least double that of their normal daily rate, over time work must be compensated at a rate of over three times the daily rate and those made to work today despite having the day off must be paid more than twice their usual rate. "

If only it worked that way,My daughter is an Hotel receptionist, and gets none of these benefits,

she is now been asked (told) she has to work 2 weeks night shift on rotation with the rest of the staff,and

the Hotel is going to pay the princely sum of  50 THB extra per day for working unsocial hours.

regards worgeordie

You are right, Worgeordie. A Thai Government employee whom I know  told me yesterday that he has to work today - and there is no talk of any compensatory day off later in the year.

Glorious, fair junta - yet again. Say one thing - and do the opposite!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

You are right, Worgeordie. A Thai Government employee whom I know  told me yesterday that he has to work today - and there is no talk of any compensatory day off later in the year.

Labour (Labor) Day is not a holiday for Government employees. It's a  'workers' holiday.

Government personnel get Royal ploughing day off as compensation (May 14th I believe )

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Labour (Labor) Day is not a holiday for Government employees. It's a  'workers' holiday.

Government personnel get Royal ploughing day off as compensation (May 14th I believe )

Thanks for the info, ThaidDown. I was not aware of that.

But the rottenness of the junta still remains!

Edited by Eligius
  • Sad 1

Most of the shops in the village are open today, a lot are family owned though the bank is closed as are the government offices.

Previous governments did the same too so it isn't just this government.

The builders are still working around the house but if they had taken the day off I wouldn't have been bothered about it.

• Like 1

My housekeeper/cleaner works 2 hours, two mornings a week (cut from 3 days about 4 months ago for the same monthly pay)

she had the audacity this morning to demand the day off. 

I agreed but told her to come on tomorrow instead. 

I believe these people miss the point somewhat

4 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

image.png.b08f18d41bfdaa34312883245cf1c5ce.png

1524818269_1-org.jpg

6 hours ago, ThaidDown said:

Maybe they realize that government employees don’t work".........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Eligius said:

I asked a government worker one year why they work on labour day and he was very offended he told me they are not labour 

• Haha 1