Importing a new Corvette?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Ground clearance..."

Why?  The ground clearance of that TA in the photo was better than supercars that are daily driven here.

Tut tut, just shows you know sod all...bored.gif.4f830929a8e858520b17c72d9bff2f74.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

This is not Europe, its easier there, how many you driven here lhd, not one obviously.How many clicks you done intime here, very few it appears.

I drove a left hooker for over 20 years in the UK with no ploblems...Just a HP/TQ smile....

Must admit, a grannie would not like it....:stoner:

• Haha 1

On 5/7/2018 at 9:39 AM, Just Weird said:

Did I say that I had a supercar and does it make any difference?  I've known enough people personally who have owned a few of them, Thais and foreigners, who've allowed me to drive them here if that helps.  

Remind me what your supercar is....!

no you havent

16 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

This is not Europe, its easier there, how many you driven here lhd, not one obviously.How many clicks you done intime here, very few it appears.

I had a left hand drive car here in Thailand for many years and never had a problem.

65 Cutlass.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

I had a left hand drive car here in Thailand for many years and never had a problem.

65 Cutlass.JPG

I drove one here, but not up n down Thailand,old classic Chevy Truck..its still around in Suphanburi. Why you let that go.?

5 hours ago, transam said:

Ground clearance....:smile:

Poor mans super car, well trouncing a Ferrari and Lambo of the day on the strip did bring a smile regarding my dinosaur...:stoner:

lol, your drag orientated vehicle ran a quicker standing 1/4 time than a car that is not drag orientated.... whats the chances of that !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAKAPALITA said:

I drove one here, but not up n down Thailand,old classic Chevy Truck..its still around in Suphanburi. Why you let that go.?

Wife hated it. No other car guys where I live but many motorcycle guys so I sold it to a young man in the Thai American Car Club in Bangkok. He always wanted the car but never had enough money. He finally saved up enough and I sold it to him. Then I bought a motorcycle.:smile:

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Is it an Olds Cutlass.?.

Yep. 1965. With a Lexus 4 liter. Excellent motor had the ECU massaged and had a set of headers made for it. Put out about 400hp. Had a turbo 3 liter 6 cylinder Toyota engine when I bought it. Moved out pretty good but sounded like a rice burner. Needed to hear a V-8 rumble.

Lexus motor in the Cutlass.png

• Like 2

I would be cautious on the super car market in Thailand.

Many horror stories have been reported of owners having their property seized, or going through desperate red tape despite being of good faith, with the car duly registered, but  having trusted a crooked dealer who did not pay the import tax or used grey channels to get the car in and obtaining a licence plate.

I would be cautious on the super car market in Thailand.

Many horror stories have been reported of owners having their property seized, or going through desperate red tape despite being of good faith, with the car duly registered, but  having trusted a crooked dealer who did not pay the import tax or used grey channels to get the car in and obtaining a licence plate.

Yeah, if your going to buy, buy from a bonafide dealer...
  • Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, transam said:

Am sure they have...As well as skinny F1 style light weight suspension arms....:whistling:

Tut, tut, now who is confirming that they know, to quote you, sod all?

Edited by Just Weird

On 5/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, Techno Viking said:

lol, your drag orientated vehicle ran a quicker standing 1/4 time than a car that is not drag orientated.... whats the chances of that !!

Well my car was a street car using "street tyres", but it only had three gears where the others had many, but yes the rear end was a higher ratio to compensate.

My point was that two super cars came to the strip to see what they could do and they were surprised an old dinosaur saw them off..

I for one am not interested in a ride that does 200mph because I would never experience it, but l am interested in being quicker than many street cars.I just loved the stop light drags...:stoner:

Well my car was a street car using "street tyres", but it only had three gears where the others had many, but yes the rear end was a higher ratio to compensate.

My point was that two super cars came to the strip to see what they could do and they were surprised an old dinosaur saw them off..
I for one am not interested in a ride that does 200mph because I would never experience it, but l am interested in being quicker than many street cars.I just loved the stop light drags...:stoner:

To bad “Run what you brung” is all but gone from SoCal, used to be everywhere.

Most every boy’s first car was a POS hotrod, gas was $0.26 a gallon, drive-inns and drag-strips were everywhere.

Races most every day & night at Ascot, dirt-track midgets, sprints and figure-eights!!!
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, mogandave said:

To bad “Run what you brung” is all but gone from SoCal, used to be everywhere.

Most every boy’s first car was a POS hotrod, gas was $0.26 a gallon, drive-inns and drag-strips were everywhere.

Races most every day & night at Ascot, dirt-track midgets, sprints and figure-eights!!!

And cruising Van Nuys Blvd.

On 07/05/2018 at 12:34 PM, NanLaew said:

The OP doesn't have issues with the costs and associated paperwork. However, he has questions about the pretty universal 'wait' requests being dolled out by all the grey market importers, at least one of which he has worked successfully with already.

I can't recall the exact date last year but wasn't there a significant amount of army and police activity after that Laotian drug lord was banged up? The one with the FB presence that showed his fleet of expensive imports both in Laos and on this side of the Mekhong? At least one Thai celebrity with a ride well above his pay grade was caught up in the subsequent (ongoing?) investigation of how come foreign criminals and lagorn stars had all these very expensive sports cars in Thailand? We all know why; they have the dosh... or they borrow them from those that have the dosh in exchange for favors. It's the 'how' that is being investigated. This is probably causing a whole lot of niche market importers to keep their heads well below the parapet. They are probably getting a lot of 'the subscriber has disconnected' tones when they try and call their contacts in Customs. 

This being Thailand, I am pretty confident that given time, there will be a new, approved way for the OP to get the 'vette legally imported, possibly with a slight mark-up on the premiums, but not right now.

I agree, that is why I went for the Huracan.

And for everyone asking where I can drive it, there are many places up in the north with decent roads. I ride both HDs and a Ducati 899 up here and know where to go (and where not to go).

16 hours ago, transam said:

A strip is not their stomping ground so little surprise you beat them, next time run em over a mile then you will see who is the quicker vehicle.

6 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

A strip is not their stomping ground so little surprise you beat them, next time run em over a mile then you will see who is the quicker vehicle.

My car will still be quicker but not faster..:stoner: