So here is the dilemma, if not Thailand then where?

webfact

So here is the dilemma, if not Thailand then where?

By Dan Cheeseman

world.jpg?resize=800,435&ssl=1

I was driving in to Bangkok last week with two of my foreign staff and we were chatting away, as you do, about living in Thailand.

What did we like, what did we not like – I am sure many of you living in Thailand have the same conversation with your peer group. I mentioned my recent travels over the years to places like the UK, Australia, Dubai, Singapore and the likes; and it is there we hit our dilemma. If we were not living in Thailand, then where would we go?

The Decision is not Straightforward

The topic had more significance that I initially realised. You see many of us moan at times about living in Thailand and threaten to up sticks and move, but many – unless financial – never actually make the move. The reason, it could well be, is better the devil you know than the one you don’t. But, you know, it can even run deeper than that.

It can run even deeper with perhaps the real question being ‘Where would you go next?’. The likely suspect being your domestic country, and in years gone by that move would be straightforward. However, and the line of debate I had in my car, do you really want to go back to the UK now? Brexit tensions, immigration issues seem to be getting worse, reports that more people now get killed in London than New York, an NHS ready to burst, schools with electric barriers more reminiscent of a prison; is this really somewhere to live now?

Full story: https://danaboutthailand.com/2018/04/30/so-here-is-the-dilemma-if-not-thailand-then-where/

-- DAN ABOUT THAILAND 2018-05-02

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

No visa necessary? Thinking of spending a weeks getaway there. You obviously recommend it.

No visa required and visa on arrival for the following...

2134343F-657E-4085-AA40-7657A1BE5671.png

33EFFA38-6E26-43B9-BB6E-7CA38BB6A978.jpeg

Edited by MadMuhammad
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, 3421abc said:

Today I could not think of a place that would be an alternative to Thailand. However in 5 to 10 yrs I see Vietnam and even Cambodia as they are catching up fast.

Burma?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

Taipei, Taiwan 90 day entry stamp on arrival, lovely gentle  polite people, wide availability of elegant educated females, affordable cost of living.

I could go on.

What happen after the 90 days?

Can you extend?

Can you go out and come back right away and get a new 90 days?

Taiwan being an island, you have to fly everytime you need to go out.

Another issue is the typhoons that visit the country more and more frequently these days...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

For me, my next stop would be Panama, Columbia or Ecuador.  The Visa process is a lot easier than Thailand and the Immigration Police are not constantly hassling the expats.  Safety and healthcare is about the same as Thailand.  I have roots here now, so I do not think about moving often!  There are really a lot of options in this world.

There is also Costa Rica and further South Uruguay, Paraguay, Chile and Argentina that are attractive...

• Like 1

Just now, mlmcleod said:

For me, my next stop would be Panama, Columbia or Ecuador.  The Visa process is a lot easier than Thailand and the Immigration Police are not constantly hassling the expats.  Safety and healthcare is about the same as Thailand.  I have roots here now, so I do not think about moving often!  There are really a lot of options in this world.

Try Brazil and their hot blooded women.

Relative easy lower wealth requirements retirement visas (or alternative long term similar visas) are my priority if I was to move to a third country. That thins down the list quite a lot.

Cambodia

Phillipines

Colombia

Ecuador

Panama

Nicaragua

Costa Rica

I think Colombia is going to be the next big thing. 

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

I read good things about Peru and Ecuador as well.   And yes,  Thailand doesn't hold a monopoly destination wise.

1 minute ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Safety is worse in those countries, based on statistics such as assaults, murders etc.

I was looking at this issue for Colombia. It depends on specific location. Cali would be more dangerous than Medellin. The general consensus is that the foreigners that were victims of murder were usually involved in sex tourism. Something to consider for those attracted to Colombia for sex tourism. I think as far as garden variety street muggings, yes Thailand would be safer. Basically give it all up without a fight and you probably won't get hurt. 

2 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Maybe Portugal, climate is very nice and apparently it is reasonably priced.

Yes, and no, but non E.U. nationals will be required to purchase very expensive private health insurance which jacks the price up considerably. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

Maybe Portugal, climate is very nice and apparently it is reasonably priced.

Portugal is a destination of choice for EU retirees (no tax) and is already full of them.

Fair and rather dry weather, much cheaper than neighboring European countries, no exchange rate issue, close to home in case of emergency...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

vietnam; a friend of mine, a well known journalist, SE asia correspondent for a world-quality channel , lives here at the moment,lived in Vietnam 7 years and has advised me on two spots;

i wouldn't miss thailand even tho i have lived here quite a while and have friends here;

thais don't want us here and they don't know how to govern their own country; that, and their attitudes toward us won't change in our lifetimes; thailand will Not improve for us

A world quality channel?

Vietnam may be fine if you like humidity...a lot!

The country is right in the middle of "typhoon alley" and gets more rain in one month than Thailand in one year! (barely exagerating here...)

1 hour ago, mlmcleod said:

Been there, if you consider crime and corruption an issue here you wont be happy there. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Relative easy lower wealth requirements retirement visas (or alternative long term similar visas) are my priority if I was to move to a third country. That thins down the list quite a lot.

Cambodia

Phillipines

Colombia

Ecuador

Panama

Nicaragua

Costa Rica

I think Colombia is going to be the next big thing. 

Don't need to worry so much about a long-term visa as you will either get murdered or escape long before it runs out. Nicaragua is your best bet.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

Don't need to worry so much about a long-term visa as you will either get murdered or escape long before it runs out. Nicaragua is your best bet.

Best bet for what? Getting murdered?

I was really close to an explore trip to Grenada but then backed out. It just sounds too backwards for me as far as infrastructure. 

Medellin on the other hand is a modern city.