So here is the dilemma, if not Thailand then where?

webfact

3 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

Good question, here's my opinions having worked in Bangkok and Colombo, and lived in Bangkok

quality of housing  BKK >  CMB

cost of utilities and level of infrastructure  BKK >  CMB (also see details below)

cost and quality of internet  BKK > CMB (Bangkok better quality internet but more expensive)

quality and price of food  BKK < CMB  (comparing local food, Sri Lanka food is fantastic, as is Thai foo, Colombo cheaper)

level of safety BKK = CMB (both reasonably safe for law abiding expats who mind their own business)

level of corruption (large and petty)  BKK = CMB (both countries have entrenched patronage systems that breed greed and corruption, petty crime probably more in Colombo)

friendliness of locals  BKK = CMB, I find them both friendly sorts

ease of visas BKK < CMB (Thai visas take the prize for difficulty and complication, for short or long visas, longer queues in BKK to get visas at immigration and airports)

cost of transportation (own car and taxis)  BKK < CMB (local transport in Colombo very cheap, especially tuk tuks and local taxis)

mating opportunities - very good in both places

scenic beauty - BKK < CMB (Colombo is by the sea but Bangkok has the majestic Chaophya river flowing through it)

cultural appeal - very good in both places

ease of day to day affairs - easy in both for unfussed expat that can tolerate disorder 

cost and quality of healthcare - BKK > CMB (cost and quality)

More comparisons about costs, comparing Bangkok and Colombo, Colombo generally much cheaper than Bangkok in most areas

5aec4a17b9236_ScreenShot2018-05-04at6_52_54PM.png.feb9fce0b081f65ef44dd9d08d65d4af.png

Further details here.  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsa p?country1=Sri+Lanka&country2=Thailand&city1=Colombo&city2=Bangkok&tracking=getDispatchComparison

This is comparing two capital cities. Chiang Mai is way cheaper to live in than Bangkok. Does Sri Lanka have a CM equivalent?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:
5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

This is comparing two capital cities. Chiang Mai is way cheaper to live in than Bangkok. Does Sri Lanka have a CM equivalent?

You might compare Chiang Mai with Kandy, a town in the mountains 4 hrs drive E from Colombo. Similar results....

5aec501c1c189_ScreenShot2018-05-04at7_19_28PM.png.d3e8fc65d98076bdae600cdf715ff348.png

And details here https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Sri+Lanka&country2=Thailand&city1=Kandy&city2=Chiang+Mai&tracking=getDispatchComparison

1 minute ago, Dibbler said:

You might compare Chiang Mai with Kandy, a town in the mountains 4 hrs drive E from Colombo. Similar results....

5aec501c1c189_ScreenShot2018-05-04at7_19_28PM.png.d3e8fc65d98076bdae600cdf715ff348.png

And details here https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Sri+Lanka&country2=Thailand&city1=Kandy&city2=Chiang+Mai&tracking=getDispatchComparison

What's the climate like? Are the Tamil Tigers still active? Is the food as good as in CM? Never mind, I'll Google it.

When I was in PP I couldn't wait to get out.  I've never been anywhere where the people so openly ask for money all the time. Even the tuk tuk driver from the airport spent the entire journey repeatedly telling me "you go to nice hotel, big tip for me"
Maybe I was unlucky, or maybe it has changed.

In Cambodia officials put on their uniforms to commit crime, at least in Thailand they take their uniforms off to commit crime. Both countries corrupt from top to bottom though...

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 2

The Taipei 101 building and the National Museum are really cool things to see. Taipei to me is an extra-ordinarily clean compared to Bangkok. The hard part seems to be finding people that can speak any English at all. 

However, barring being there for the hurricanes, they are a ton of Caribbean Islands I could live on and the quality of life is much better than it ever could be in Thailand.

Edited by bwpage3

44 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

However, barring being there for the hurricanes, they are a ton of Caribbean Islands I could live on and the quality of life is much better than it ever could be in Thailand.

If the other islands are anything like Barbados I would disagree. I found the food over priced, tasteless and poor quality, 'convenience' stores half empty, and the people moody.

And trust me, a moody Bajan man is much scarier than a moody Thai man! Picture an extremely p'd off Usain Bolt in your face...

2 hours ago, Dibbler said:

Good question, here's my opinions having worked in Bangkok and Colombo, and lived in Bangkok

cost of utilities and level of infrastructure  BKK >  CMB (also see details below)

cost and quality of internet  BKK > CMB (Bangkok better quality internet but more expensive)

quality and price of food  BKK < CMB  (comparing local food, Sri Lanka food is fantastic, as is Thai foo, Colombo cheaper)

level of safety BKK = CMB (both reasonably safe for law abiding expats who mind their own business)

level of corruption (large and petty)  BKK = CMB (both countries have entrenched patronage systems that breed greed and corruption, petty crime probably more in Colombo)

ease of visas BKK < CMB (Thai visas take the prize for difficulty and complication, for short or long visas, longer queues in BKK to get visas at immigration and airports)

cost of transportation (own car and taxis)  BKK < CMB (local transport in Colombo very cheap, especially tuk tuks and local taxis)

scenic beauty - BKK < CMB (Colombo is by the sea but Bangkok has the majestic Chaophya river flowing through it)

ease of day to day affairs - easy in both for unfussed expat that can tolerate disorder 

More comparisons about costs, comparing Bangkok and Colombo, Colombo generally much cheaper than Bangkok in most areas

5aec4a17b9236_ScreenShot2018-05-04at6_52_54PM.png.feb9fce0b081f65ef44dd9d08d65d4af.png

Further details here.  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Sri+Lanka&country2=Thailand&city1=Colombo&city2=Bangkok&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Sex and P4P not comparable. 

3 hours ago, Dibbler said:

Further details here.  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Sri+Lanka&country2=Thailand&city1=Colombo&city2=Bangkok&tracking=getDispatchComparison

Colombo is terrible, but maybe you like Karachi as well?

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

The Taipei 101 building and the National Museum are really cool things to see.

How many times per year would you visit each?????Maybe once every 10 years?  So totally irrelevant info!

1 minute ago, torrzent said:

How many times per year would you visit each?????Maybe once every 10 years?  So totally irrelevant info!

True that but it sounds like a great place to visit for the food alone. 

2 minutes ago, torrzent said:

When I was in London, I would visit the British Museum 2x a week. It was a nice place to sit and read a book.

The other days I would go to the V&A.

So not entirely irrelevant.

On 5/2/2018 at 5:56 PM, Brunolem said:

Burma?

I lived in Burma for a year.  Iran was better. Pakistan was better. Really unpleasant people and those who are ok are in a state of fear and oppression forced to inform on each other. Burma is a horror 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 6:33 PM, YetAnother said:

vietnam; a friend of mine, a well known journalist, SE asia correspondent for a world-quality channel , lives here at the moment,lived in Vietnam 7 years and has advised me on two spots;

i wouldn't miss thailand even tho i have lived here quite a while and have friends here;

thais don't want us here and they don't know how to govern their own country; that, and their attitudes toward us won't change in our lifetimes; thailand will Not improve for us

And a communist dictatorship does know how to govern? In Hanoi all bars are forced to close at 10 30 enforced by the army like in. Chang mai...Cambodia is more like Bangladesh than Thailand. 

BTW, thanks for the information about the taxation situation in Colombia. Even though it might not be such a big problem for me personally, it seems a very serious negative. Not to mention they have a bad history with promises to expats. They previously had a lifetime residency stamp and they simply cancelled that before even for people that already it in their passports. (Changed to 5 years I recall.) I think I'll start to call their country Columbia from now on ... that really drives them LOCO. 

Just now, MaeJoMTB said:

When I was in London, I would visit the British Museum 2x a week. It was a nice place to sit and read a book.

The other days I would go to the V&A.

So not entirely irrelevant.

And both free but no naked go go bars..expensive food and incredibly violent city not safe at night.

For me its definitely 'better the devil you know'. I haven't even got to Thailand (full time) yet but I will be making the move next year.  However, if I'd known at the beginning what I know now, I'd almost certainly look at other destinations.

My reasons:

Constantly changing visa requirements.

Political instability.

Hideous bureaucracy for almost any official matter.

Women's obsession with your wallet.

Crazy driving.

Corruption - including in the way the law is applied.

Its taken me 15 years to learn all this and I've overcome most problems but as I say, I'd maybe look elsewhere if I'd known before.  That is not to say though, that anywhere else is better. Whatever, I can't afford to spend another 15 years learning the ways of an alternative country but would I recommend Thailand to a friend seeking a place to live......probably not.

People here have been saying that Vietnam and Cambodia are 'up and coming' - maybe they are but people were saying that 15 years ago.

Just now, KhaoYai said:

For me its definitely 'better the devil you know'. I haven't even got to Thailand (full time) yet but I will be making the move next year.  However, if I'd known at the beginning what I know now, I'd almost certainly look at other destinations.

My reasons:

Constantly changing visa requirements.

Political instability.

Hideous bureaucracy for almost any official matter.

Women's obsession with your wallet.

Crazy driving.

Corruption - including in the way the law is applied.

Its taken me 15 years to learn all this and I've overcome most problems but as I say, I'd maybe look elsewhere if I'd known before.  That is not to say though, that anywhere else is better. Whatever, I can't afford to spend another 15 years learning the ways of an alternative country but would I recommend Thailand to a friend seeking a place to live......probably not.

People here have been saying that Vietnam and Cambodia are 'up and coming' - maybe they are but people were saying that 15 years ago.

There is no up and coming about it. Thailand is getting worse.  It's not as bad as Cambo or Vietnam yet but it is heading that way. In Hanoi bars shut at 10 30...as in Chang Mai.. In Cambodia archaic drug laws are being used by bent cops...in this way they are catching up with Thailand, There are no nude go go bars...And only about 5 in Thailand now. Yes you can get junk food in all three countries and hear vile electro and EDM in all three countries but that is not progress. Military authorities have trashed freedom. Yeah great progress. London was great between 64 to 89 now it's an expensive,authoritarian, joyless expensive violent dump. Thailand is regressing.  Viet and Can go are not improving..just become anodyne satellites of safe PC fascist puritanical culture. 

Edited by The manic

7 hours ago, The manic said:

There is no up and coming about it. Thailand is getting worse.  It's not as bad as Cambo or Vietnam yet but it is heading that way. In Hanoi bars shut at 10 30...as in Chang Mai.. In Cambodia archaic drug laws are being used by bent cops...in this way they are catching up with Thailand, There are no nude go go bars...And only about 5 in Thailand now. Yes you can get junk food in all three countries and hear vile electro and EDM in all three countries but that is not progress. Military authorities have trashed freedom. Yeah great progress. London was great between 64 to 89 now it's an expensive,authoritarian, joyless expensive violent dump. Thailand is regressing.  Viet and Can go are not improving..just become anodyne satellites of safe PC fascist puritanical culture. 

Never been to Hanoi, but in Saigon and Vung Tao the bars were open all night (or until the last customer left).

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

a moody Bajan man is much scarier than a moody Thai man! Picture an extremely p'd off Usain Bolt in your face...

wouldn't that mean he is going to run away, at world record speed?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

True that but it sounds like a great place to visit for the food alone. 

Exactly, which is why it is odd that the other guy mentioned the primary attractions as a skyscraper and a museum.  The food, hotsprings, mountains, and seaside are all alot more interesting.

I lived in Burma for a year.  Iran was better. Pakistan was better. Really unpleasant people and those who are ok are in a state of fear and oppression forced to inform on each other. Burma is a horror 

What year was that?  Myanmar has come a long way in the past decade, (but still has a long, long way to go).  I always find the people very friendly and the country extremely safe for a foreigner.  The countryside, hills and lakes are beautiful and the cost of living is very cheap, (accommodation can be expensive).

But those positives do not outweigh the many negatives, such as:

- Very basic medical infrastructure

- Basic road/rail infrastructure

- Basic internet/electricity infrastructure - power cuts are still common

- Lack of western goods or choice of products (possible in Yangon)

- Lack of nightlife, lack of P4P (possible in Yangon)

- Lack of decent beaches (I went to Ngalapi Beach last week, what an eyesore!)

- Lack of suitable visa for long-term stay (if not working etc)

I live and work in Myanmar, but still intend to retire back to Thailand (or maybe Laos).

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The manic said:

Interesting you say that. I went for a holiday to Yangon and Moulmein and surrounds and found the people pretty switched on and friendly. It's amazing how a superficial holiday can mask the reality though :) Did you find them the same throughout the country or just the area you were in?

17 hours ago, Poottrong said:

No, not everyone is on a budget. Either way your money goes further here pretty much whatever your budget is. The tighter your budget though the more attractive Thailand becomes.

Obviously Bill Gates is not on a budget...yet, even someone with a 10,000 USD or euro pension is on a budget, meaning that one has to live within one's means...

Then, Thailand may be attractive for tight budgets, but it depends where in Thailand...one can't live with the same budget in a village in Isaan or in Bangkok, very far from it...

12 hours ago, The manic said:

Good to know...

Iran was probably a nice place, but soon it will be a war zone.

That only leaves Pakistan then, yet I am too old to be a student (taliban).

Maybe there is Saudi Arabia with all its new freedoms... who knows, they may open go-go bars...in 2518!