brake pads?

Most pads start their life with about 12 mm of friction material, and most mechanics suggest replacing them when they get to 3 or 4 mm. You should replace your car's brake pads before the backing plate begins gouging out the brake rotors — a complication that can make the job even more expensive. Toyota should have given you a rough estimate as to how many more kilometers you can cover before you have them replaced. They did with me.

Every time I've done a checkup at Toyota they annotate your remaining pad thickness and also show what he minimum/safe thickness allowed is....it's annotated on the inside of the folder they put your receipt in, but will most likely be in Thai.  The best I can figure out is it says you should replace at 2mm thickness....is the minimum allowed.    However the Toyota manual/specs will probably say 1mm.

Below is from my Toyota Fortuner manual....says 1mm is the minimum....expect your Toyota pickup is the same. 

Front Pads

image.png.bd1abc113011c60ad7054c78d4a5c2c9.png

Rear Pads

image.png.6c86734eda7cbcc5dc36e91170831f70.png

Specs Page

image.png.3533693578a72e000b874e3b3ac9402e.png

• Like 1

Just for another example I googled up a Toyota Corolla brake pad thickness....same minimum spec of 1mm....see image below.

In general brake pads they will have a wear line/groove or possibly metal tab that shows the recommend minimum thickness....usually it's a wear line/groove.   Metal tab causes a metal sounds squeal when pressing the brake as it metal to metal contact versus brake shoe to metal contact. Brake shoes will probably just have the metal tab.

But for me 1mm is too thin.  2mm tickness would be my minimum unless the manufacturer recommended a higher amount.

On my 2009 Fortuner which has recently went over 200,000 Km, the rear brake shoes have only been replaced "once" at about the 190,000 Km point and they were still good...had 2.5mm thickness left on them.    I only changed them also since it was cheap and I was having my front brake pads changed only for the "second" time...and the pads could have probably lasted another 25,000 Km before reaching the groove depth on them.   

Now days for those vehicles with brake pads on the front but shoes on the back, the rear brake shoes should last a long, long time....the front brake pads will wear out way before.  

For a Corolla

image.png.1686e507d03615be57696811fc427c64.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

He said one of the back break pads is 3mm and one of the front ones is 5mm. Is this safe?

I would of said " What about the other 3 in the back & front ". :laugh:

2 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

He said one of the back break pads is 3mm and one of the front ones is 5mm. Is this safe?

I would of said " What about the other 3 in the back & front ". 

15 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Other 6. There are 8 pads , or 4 pads and 4 shoes. :smile:

That's what was meant OP said Toyota said 1 pad in front & 1 pad in back, so just a joke, what about the other 3 back & front. :laugh:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

That's what was meant OP said Toyota said 1 pad in front & 1 pad in back, so just a joke, what about the other 3 back & front. :laugh:

Ah , gotcha. I know you know about motors.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Amazing that on servicing the car at a Toyota franchise or dealership, such vital checks and replacements are not mandatory or at least pointed out to the customer ? ...Or have I missed something here ....

Yeh, half the time they dont go to a real Toyo Service place, if they did theres nothing to post.Job Done.

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Amazing that on servicing the car at a Toyota franchise or dealership, such vital checks and replacements are not mandatory or at least pointed out to the customer ? ...Or have I missed something here ....

The only thing you missed I would say is which  franchised dealerships are efficient and who are not, especially when there are many people who know nothing of auto mechanics.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The only thing you missed I would say is which  franchised dealerships are efficient and who are not, especially when there are many people who know nothing of auto mechanics.

Not back to Ford again please.:post-4641-1156694083:

52 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Not back to Ford again please.:post-4641-1156694083:

My point was really directed to all dealerships in hearing of them from friends and my own experience, when it comes to reporting condition of parts back to owners when necessary.

Funny enough :laugh: the Ford one where we are has a good reputation and I would say there are other Ford franchised dealerships the same in Thailand.

I started using our 'Cockpit' franchise when I had Toyota truck/car because of there inefficient care I suppose in no doubt there is a percentage of Toyota dealerships  in Thailand that are OK.

Honda here are excellent but always a very long wait and expensive to boot, so I use our ' Cockpit' .

Isuzu seem good here too so I'll stick with them while the truck is under warranty, they have no problem with me getting a basic oil change elsewhere if require I'll just keep receipt with service record book.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My point was really directed to all dealerships in hearing of them from friends and my own experience, when it comes to reporting condition of parts back to owners when necessary.

Funny enough :laugh: the Ford one where we are has a good reputation and I would say there are other Ford franchised dealerships the same in Thailand.

I started using our 'Cockpit' franchise when I had Toyota truck/car because of there inefficient care I suppose in no doubt there is a percentage of Toyota dealerships  in Thailand that are OK.

Honda here are excellent but always a very long wait and expensive to boot, so I use our ' Cockpit' .

Isuzu seem good here too so I'll stick with them while the truck is under warranty, they have no problem with me getting a basic oil change elsewhere if require I'll just keep receipt with service record book.

Fair assessment, we dont get that many here :smile:

• Thanks 1