What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

Yes I love Shetland,just watched the last but one episode,

Ps just watched the last midsomer murders ,no black and white couples,but the dead lord of the manor was divorced from his Asian wife , so it was a full house lol, I read somewhere that because of the complaints that there were no black and Asians in the series the BBC were taking the p_ss by putting one in every episode this time around. 555

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 2

Sno has put up another nice scandi/icelandic crime series called Trapped via the BBC.

2 episodes so far and it's building nicely.

Some nice casting in it….esp for iclaudius….lol.

Nice call.

Three epidodes in and it's a good one.

• Like 1

this one passed me by, was on bbc2 in November

'london spy' bbc/American 5 part espionage drama.

one dank ish morning by the Thames Danny meets the love of his life

and the drama unfolds.

wonderful performances and some solid editing over some rather stock ish camera work.

a somewhat meandering script, yet still strong enough to be pulled in.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/london-spy

• Like 1

Yes I love Shetland,just watched the last but one episode,

Ps just watched the last midsomer murders ,no black and white couples,but the dead lord of the manor was divorced from his Asian wife , so it was a full house lol, I read somewhere that because of the complaints that there were no black and Asians in the series the BBC were taking the p_ss by putting one in every episode this time around. 555

does every post you make have to include racial comments? this is a tv and film thread, please stick to it.

My favourite mini series,,, now there's a tuf question, imo good year for mini series. Contenders ? for me; Shane meadows 'this is England 90'. I enjoyed the Australian show 'Gallapolia' 'the jinx, the lifes and deaths of robert durst.' the American series 'gangland undercover'. Bbcs 'wolf hall' And i'm sure the more i think about it the longer the list will get, the winner??? I've got to go out so I'll think about it and let you know later :D

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Horace and Pete: Louis C.K.'s Experiment in a New Sort of TV Drama?

Just watched episode 3 of Louis C.K.'s Horace and Pete, which resembles an ensemble playhouse of stories and performances that might have come out of the Group Theater of the 1930's in New York, whose members were later grilled and dishonored during the infamous McCarthy Witch Hunt Era.

This episode is especially strange, taken up in the first half hour by a monolog in closeup from an unidentified late middle aged lady, voluntarily confessing to an unseen auditor who turns out to be C.K., as Horace. It puts the audience in the position of hearing a painful story of infidelity within this lady's new family. She was once married to Horace, but they divorced because of his “dalliance” with another family member. She seems to have picked C.K. to tell the story to, thinking perhaps that only a cheater could understand.

During the last third of the hour, C. K. offers his opinion and advice, while also showing a slight disgust and amazement at what he's heard. Except for a very brief appearance and nasty one-line quip from Uncle Pete (Alan Alda) at the end, it's all this plain, tired looking woman (Laurie Metcalf, superb performance) and Louis. The whole hour is taken up with this sordid little story. This is the sort of production one might see at a one act festival. The whole series so far (only 3 episodes in) has been stand-alone one acts, completely original and different from anything else on TV right now. I can't see it ever having mass appeal, and probably won't go past a season, but...Good Stuff!

Edited by Frank James
  • Like 1

....I should have given a mentioned to ........"Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell"

That was great acting.....really well written story---took the author 10 years to write it. ...(10 years , you would be real worried if you were the publisher & you had given them an advance wouldn't you) ....it just slipped my mind at the time....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

My favourites for 2015 were, Narcos, The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies and

The Jinx. The winner being Making a Murderer.

Missed both of them----so thanks

Couldn't find the Jinx Will27...even on IMDB-----thanks for The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies--tracked that down.....(just)

• Like 1

My favourites for 2015 were, Narcos, The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies and

The Jinx. The winner being Making a Murderer.

Missed both of them----so thanks

Couldn't find the Jinx Will27...even on IMDB-----thanks for The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies--tracked that down.....(just)

Is it this one? - The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst 8.9 rating

It sure is.

Sorry gang, guess I was to lazy to write down the whole title.

Oh I see....yer I did see it...... was quite gripping, really enjoyed it....& it taught me a lesson....never mumble to yourself when you think you are alone in the toilet........... I'll stop there or be accuse of spoilers.

Maybe I should have made a different category----- Doc's (or true life) against fiction.

*note to self.....red wine really doesn't expand the brain cells.........coffee1.gif

**BTW the director of that---Jinx-- made "CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS" that was 2003 , but it still sticks in my mind--very powerful Doc, talk about abuse of power......you can still catch it on Youtube.......really is well worth the time (About 1.44)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaatTnsx9-s

Edited by oxo1947
  • Like 1

Horace and Pete: Louis C.K.'s Experiment in a New Sort of TV Drama?

Just watched episode 3 of Louis C.K.'s Horace and Pete, which resembles an ensemble playhouse of stories and performances that might have come out of the Group Theater of the 1930's in New York, whose members were later grilled and dishonored during the infamous McCarthy Witch Hunt Era.

This episode is especially strange, taken up in the first half hour by a monolog in closeup from an unidentified late middle aged lady, voluntarily confessing to an unseen auditor who turns out to be C.K., as Horace. It puts the audience in the position of hearing a painful story of infidelity within this lady's new family. She was once married to Horace, but they divorced because of his “dalliance” with another family member. She seems to have picked C.K. to tell the story to, thinking perhaps that only a cheater could understand.

During the last third of the hour, C. K. offers his opinion and advice, while also showing a slight disgust and amazement at what he's heard. Except for a very brief appearance and nasty one-line quip from Uncle Pete (Alan Alda) at the end, it's all this plain, tired looking woman (Laurie Metcalf, superb performance) and Louis. The whole hour is taken up with this sordid little story. This is the sort of production one might see at a one act festival. The whole series so far (only 3 episodes in) has been stand-alone one acts, completely original and different from anything else on TV right now. I can't see it ever having mass appeal, and probably won't go past a season, but...Good Stuff!

I was watching an episode of Louie the other day..

There was a hilarious scene of taking a gaggle of 9 year old girls to the Police station...

this one passed me by, was on bbc2 in November

'london spy' bbc/American 5 part espionage drama.

one dank ish morning by the Thames Danny meets the love of his life

and the drama unfolds.

wonderful performances and some solid editing over some rather stock ish camera work.

a somewhat meandering script, yet still strong enough to be pulled in.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/london-spy

Thanks rijit...... I did try the first episode----wasn't that hooked on it...you get real fussy when you can have such a wide pick from all around the world--wouldn't it be a horrible thought if we had to go back to days gone by.

With London Spy, It wasn't that it was gay romance----but just to much romance. It must be an age thing, but I find myself fast forwarding through most romantic scenes now- mumbling--"Get on with it", --drives my wife mad.

But it does have some good write so I'll give it another go.....thanks

---------------------------------------

OK , my vote--best TV Mini Series for 2015............ small Drum roll.......... "River"

That is in no small part to Stellan Skarsgård...who I had never seen act before, also great backing cast --Nicola Walker --she has been around for years, & nearly always in crime stuff--& a V good story line.

Whats yours.........??

*btw...Stellan Skarsgård acting obviously impressed a few others as he has been given the lead role in the latest John le Carre Movie "Our Kind of Traitor"----release in May (not the BBC mini series) its a trilogy & he will take over the part played by Philip Seymour Hoffman in the first film "A Most Wanted Man" 2014--if you haven't seen that movie & like Drama/spy movie do grab it.

-------------

**BTY -Cluadius , you cant vote for the Black & White mistral show....................coffee1.gif

sadly i make you right on London spy in the end a disapointment.in the middle ish episodes the plot. developed well but in the later indulged in gothy atmospheric scenes over good old plain story telling and ultimately imo failed..

Oh I see....yer I did see it...... was quite gripping, really enjoyed it....& it taught me a lesson....never mumble to yourself when you think you are alone in the toilet........... I'll stop there or be accuse of spoilers.

Maybe I should have made a different category----- Doc's (or true life) against fiction.

*note to self.....red wine really doesn't expand the brain cells.........coffee1.gif

**BTW the director of that---Jinx-- made "CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS" that was 2003 , but it still sticks in my mind--very powerful Doc, talk about abuse of power......you can still catch it on Youtube.......really is well worth the time (About 1.44)

Yep and there was me just about to reply To your first sentence with.a.comment about that absolutely hillarious scene in ' clerks' until i realised it was 100 % inaproipraite.:D

A few weeks ago i downloaded The Charles Dickens collection , and just finished watching The Pickwick Papers , terrific is the only way i can explain it , such fun , there is also tale of two cities , etc etc ,. its a few years old but if you like Dickens you will not be disapointed ., its on cat .thumbsup.gif