What movies or TV shows are you watching now?

BookMan

What tv shows or movies do people watch when they need a bit of a pmu? I like to watch Kungfu Panda, always makes me laugh and picks me up whenever the PTSD drops in for a visit.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Good question TomTao. KungFu Panda is a pick me up movie. Most of those animated ones are really.

I think I like a good comedy for a pmu. I don't have any special ones though that I fall back on

I have eagerly been awaiting this movie! This was deemed big screen worthy and the GF and i saw it today.

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Number 2 in the trilogy, I thought this one was better than the first movie with a bit more action. Jennifer Lawrence who plays the heroine Katniss was excellent. She does the role wonderfully well. It follows the Hunger Games books fairly closely. If you haven't read the books it might have a few surprises in store, but you certainly do not need to have read the series.

A solid 7 or 7.5/10 from me

For a good PMU movie, I switch between Bad Boys 1; Rush Hour 1,2 & 3; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Top Gun. Possibly even Snatch (the movie of course :P )

Animation wise I would probably go with Despicable Me 2 now, but before that Shrek was always a good choice.

Breaking bad. Best tv show ever

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Great show and one of the best.

Some others worthy of inclusion, imo, are:

The Wire

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Seinfeld

Those 3 plus The Sopranos and The Shield would be in my top

10 easily.

For a good PMU movie, I switch between Bad Boys 1; Rush Hour 1,2 & 3; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Top Gun. Possibly even Snatch (the movie of course tongue.png )

Animation wise I would probably go with Despicable Me 2 now, but before that Shrek was always a good choice.

Tommy to Turkish "who took the jam outta your doughnut?"

A classic line from Snatchbiggrin.png

• Like 1

For a good PMU movie, I switch between Bad Boys 1; Rush Hour 1,2 & 3; Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Top Gun. Possibly even Snatch (the movie of course :P )

Shrek comes in second behind Kungfu Panda for me in animations (nothing beats Po bouncing inside the big bronze bowl or bouncing down the stairs), and being a Trekky from way back I enjoy watching the new Star Trek movie. I haven't had the opportunity to watch either Despicable Me yet.

• Like 1

Shrek comes in second behind Kungfu Panda for me in animations (nothing beats Po bouncing inside the big bronze bowl or bouncing down the stairs), and being a Trekky from way back I enjoy watching the new Star Trek movie. I haven't had the opportunity to watch either Despicable Me yet.

Give Despicable Me 1 & 2 a whirl mate ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Here are two of my favourite crime mini series for 2013

The Fall

Broadchurch

Both excellent and looking forward to their return in 2014

I've seen The Fall on your recommendation and really liked it.

Glad to hear about Broadchurch as I've just picked it up.

I'm 3 episodes into Top Boy http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1830379/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

A typical English gritty drama about the drug/crime culture in East London.

If you like Shane Meadows and Jimmy McGovern type drama's, you'll like this one.

Enjoying it at the minute. Still have 1 episode from series 1 and 4 from series 2 to go.

I'll check out Top Boy. I like those types of shows.

BookMan

Just finished series 2 of Top Boy last night and it was really good.

Give it a crack, I think/hope you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

Watched Red 2 last night... Didn't really know what to think going in, watched the preview, enjoyed that. Didn't take too long to get into it. Willis was probably the worst of the bunch, well he pipped his GF at the post for that one. Malkovich, Sir Anthony, Dame Helen, Zeta-Jones and the korean bloke were all streaks ahead. Actually Zeta-Jones is probably tied for the worst actor in this star studded line up.

I think Malkovich and the korean bloke were the standouts for me, Malkovich has just got that awkward quirky sense of humor, and the korean bloke had some pretty good one liners. His kung <deleted> action scenes were a bit run-of-the-mill-jet-li-esque but still filled a void I guess...

Oh, wait, the korean blokes name is: Byung-hyun Lee wink.png

Anyway was an enjoyable watch over a couple of cold Cooper's Pale Ales last night..

I'm a huge Malkovich fan. For some reason he reminds me of a British actor rather than

an American. Maybe because he has great subtlety.

Will give it a spin as I enjoyed the first Red for a bit of escapism.

My pre-order of Elysium popped up on my Apple TV last night, I thought it was a pretty decent Sci Fi flick if you're into SciFi. Plot wise it wasn't the best and I thought both Jodie Foster & Matt Damon could have been better (script wise that is). Visually it's stunning, it was close the blinds, crank up the surround sound for the full movie feel. Of course my expectations had been reset pretty low after slogging through 'After Earth' with Will Smith & Son over the weekend, truly dreadful IMHO.

Edited by GinBoy2

Must be sweeps week in the US. All the series so far are freaking awesome! The Blacklist just went #1 for me...

The wife's upset that it's not playing out like Lamyong hahahah..

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I made the wife record Lamonyong on the PVR and watch it in the mornings when I went to the gym. Thankfully its over, but coming to a TV near you soon...same actors, probably same plot coupled with frequent screaming

I imagine people know the obvious shows but coming in January .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_%28TV_series%29

This should be a decent show

I echo The League, awesome sit-com

Anyone into sci-fi type stuff (not star trek-ish, more time travel, etc stuff) then Fringe is over and 5 series and The 4400 isn't on anymore but is 4 series and both are well worth watching, especially Fringe

It may seem girly but Vampire Diairies is pretty good to be honest as well and so is White Collar, both currently running a few series in so plenty to watch back

Anyone check out Orphan Black as well, BBC America, good show

• Like 1

I imagine people know the obvious shows but coming in January .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Detective_%28TV_series%29

Anyone into sci-fi type stuff (not star trek-ish, more time travel, etc stuff) then Fringe is over and 5 series and The 4400 isn't on anymore but is 4 series and both are well worth watching, especially Fringe

It may seem girly but Vampire Diairies is pretty good to be honest as well and so is White Collar, both currently running a few series in so plenty to watch back

I was a huge Fringe fan. Thought it lost its way a little in the middle seasons, partly because I think JJ was making up the plotlines as he went along. We started out with 'The Pattern' and ended up with 'The Observers'. But certainly in my top ten. One of my other all time favorite Sci Fi shows, killed off by the evil Fox Network is Firefly. At least Joss Wheden was able to conclude it nicely with the movie Serenity

Edited by GinBoy2

I made the wife record Lamonyong on the PVR and watch it in the mornings when I went to the gym. Thankfully its over, but coming to a TV near you soon...same actors, probably same plot coupled with frequent screaming

Not to mention the same theme music with different lyrics :rolleyes:

Fortunately the wife entered the Lamyong craze a little late in the peace, so she caught up over a week period (on her iPhone) to catch the last 2 weeks "on the big screen"... God that was torture...

• Like 1

I was a huge Fringe fan. Thought it lost its way a little in the middle seasons, partly because I think JJ was making up the plotlines as he went along. We started out with 'The Pattern' and ended up with 'The Observers'. But certainly in my top ten. One of my other all time favorite Sci Fi shows, killed off by the evil Fox Network is Firefly. At least Joss Wheden was able to conclude it nicely with the movie Serenity

I think Firefly was a bit over rated to be honest, never saw the massive appeal

I really liked The 4400 which was stopped without an ending, writers strike/expense of making it, so left hanging but excellent show

I think with most shows they don't ever have an end point in mind so just keep running and running and changing the goal posts. The best ones can do it effortlessly, it's different for cable shows. Fringe was definitely my kind of sci-fi though.

I say to I like sci-fi and people automatically assume star trek and things but I am really not into that at all or Battlestar Galatica and so on, I like a bit of time travel, alternate dimension and all that though

Have you watched Defiance? Canadian (I think) show on SyFy channel, couple of chicks from Dexter in it, post-apocalyspe alien invastion type thing. Not bad, worth a watch. New series in the summer, 1st already aired

I really liked The 4400 which was stopped without an ending, writers strike/expense of making it, so left hanging but excellent show

I think with most shows they don't ever have an end point in mind so just keep running and running and changing the goal posts. The best ones can do it effortlessly, it's different for cable shows. Fringe was definitely my kind of sci-fi though.

I say to I like sci-fi and people automatically assume star trek and things but I am really not into that at all or Battlestar Galatica and so on, I like a bit of time travel, alternate dimension and all that though

Have you watched Defiance? Canadian (I think) show on SyFy channel, couple of chicks from Dexter in it, post-apocalyspe alien invastion type thing. Not bad, worth a watch. New series in the summer, 1st already aired

Nah haven't seen Defiance, Hulu or Netflix? The other Canadian SciFi show on SyFy is Continuum. Time traveling cops should work for you. Next season is scheduled for spring 2014

Which of course makes me realize I have forgotten to mention Looper. Frikkin awesome move

And not forgetting Falling Skies, which I think has been totally missed so far. I'm salivating for the next season

Edited by GinBoy2

Speaking previously of PMU movies, are there any movies you've seen that

have had the opposite affect?

In 1997, when Nil by Mouth had just been released, my girlfriend at the time

and myself were going to see this at the 10.00am session and then intended going

to lunch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119792/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Well, I've got to say that after watching it, we were both so down that we didn't feel like

going to lunch and went home.

Directed by Gary Oldman and based on his life story, it was just brutal and depressing.

Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke were both outstanding. It was the Winner of Best Film BAFTA 1998.

Yeah there's been a few that I've just gone "f***k that" American History X was one, that scene where Ed Norton stomps on the guys head, really wrong! Lots of other racially motivated movies have that affect on me. Power of One being and Romper Stomper being others of note.

Horror movies have a similar tendancy, not so much a depressing feeling but definitely a "shut the front door" - Wolf Creek is seriously one of the scariest movies I've ever watched, I've got a particularly strong constitution when it comes to blood and guts, but this one had me done.

Might have to put on Despicable Me 2 now just for a PMU hahahah....

• Like 1

Yeah there's been a few that I've just gone "f***k that" American History X was one, that scene where Ed Norton stomps on the guys head, really wrong! Lots of other racially motivated movies have that affect on me. Power of One being and Romper Stomper being others of note.

Horror movies have a similar tendancy, not so much a depressing feeling but definitely a "shut the front door" - Wolf Creek is seriously one of the scariest movies I've ever watched, I've got a particularly strong constitution when it comes to blood and guts, but this one had me done.

That scene in American history X was just brutal.

Romper Stomper was a good flick but haven't seen Power of One.

Nah haven't seen Defiance, Hulu or Netflix? The other Canadian SciFi show on SyFy is Continuum. Time traveling cops should work for you. Next season is scheduled for spring 2014

Which of course makes me realize I have forgotten to mention Looper. Frikkin awesome move

And not forgetting Falling Skies, which I think has been totally missed so far. I'm salivating for the next season

I also started on continuum and stopped..about 8 episodes into the first season.

I did the same with Defiance

I also did the same with Falling Skies, stopping after season one

Revolution, a few episodes in and I stopped watching

These are all similar shows and they are all the futuristic/post apocalyptic style of show I enjoy. For some reason though none of them hooked me in.

A large part of this is the insistence of these shows to use

a. Ridiculously good looking actors.

b. Have them wearing latest fashion clothing. It is a post apocalyptic environment <deleted>! Don't get me wrong, I love perving on a girl's arse in tight bum lifting jeans as much as most guys, but come on!

c. Have main characters do the most ridiculous things that they just wouldn't do as part of self preservation.

The walking Dead uses a number of good looking actors but has overcome other '<deleted> moments!' in the most recent season. A template for all these shows

The Road. This is one bleak motherf#*king movie. The Book is just as bleak. Scenes from both the movie and the book will stay in your head for months. A must watch and read for any post apocalyptic style lovers.

Seven, when I first saw it

Mad Max 1 , when i first saw it. Scared me a bit tongue.png

Trailer for The Road

Edited by BookMan

just viewed the following on a very boring 2 week wait on standby offshore :

Orange is the New Black - Comedy/Drama set in women's prison. Decent storylines, well acted and written. Quite enjoyed it

Mr Selfridge Season 1 - Story of the guy who started Selfridges shop in London in 1909. Acostume drama, expensive production, Jeremy Piven is good but storylines a bit weak. Easy watching

Luther Seasons 1&2 - Gritty UK cop drama with Idris Elba. Pretty good stories, some weak points

House of Cards - US Political drama with Kevin Spacey - excellent all round!

just viewed the following on a very boring 2 week wait on standby offshore :

Orange is the New Black - Comedy/Drama set in women's prison. Decent storylines, well acted and written. Quite enjoyed it

Mr Selfridge Season 1 - Story of the guy who started Selfridges shop in London in 1909. Acostume drama, expensive production, Jeremy Piven is good but storylines a bit weak. Easy watching

Luther Seasons 1&2 - Gritty UK cop drama with Idris Elba. Pretty good stories, some weak points

House of Cards - US Political drama with Kevin Spacey - excellent all round!

Haven't seen Mr Selfridge but pretty much agree with you on the other 3thumbsup.gif