Ceiling Fan recommendations

zeekgarcia

I have my cheap-as-chips ceiling fans set to the lowest speed, and working in the "up" direction. They are completely silent and go just fast enough to gently move the air in the room. They work in conjunction with my air-con, which is set to 27/28 degrees.

I cant think of anything more uncomfortable than sitting in the blast of a fan running at high speed, especially the oscillating sort.

• Like 1

I have my cheap-as-chips ceiling fans set to the lowest speed, and working in the "up" direction. They are completely silent and go just fast enough to gently move the air in the room. They work in conjunction with my air-con, which is set to 27/28 degrees.

I cant think of anything more uncomfortable than sitting in the blast of a fan running at high speed, especially the oscillating sort.

No fan at all would be worse...

On 5/5/2018 at 12:38 PM, Fruit Trader said:
Avoid the cheap fans with cardboard vanes that sag over time, and remote control fans that default to ON after power loss.

When I renovated my current condo I decided to splurge and not buy the "cheap-as-chips" (to use KittenKong's apt description) fans I had always used before.  I went with a mid-range fan with remote control.  Learned three things after installing:

(1)  after power loss when power is restored the fans automatically default to On at their highest speed

(2)  when using the Off Timer function, they emit a nice alarm-clock-like screech when turning off

(3)  the built-in LED light only is useful as a night light, even at full brightness

Had I known, I would have bought old fashioned cheap, pull-a-chain models again.

Edited by wpcoe
spelling
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

We really like ceiling fans and have in each of our bedrooms as well as the living room back in the US. There are really some fine ceiling fans being made these days and we much prefer them to traditional fans that blast you each time they rotate through their cycle.

That said we looked and looked for a decent fan over here in Thailand and it seemed, to us anyway, that the majority of choices moved little or no air and were purely for their (limited) esthetic value.

We finally purchased the larger three bladed fan shown in several posts here and found in many local restaurants. It moves air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

I have recently bought 2 Mr Ken ceiling fans.  They look fantastic and the one that is working is very quiet.  They are expensive at over 10,000 baht each and have the most amazing wooden fan blades …. and therein lies the problem.  On both fans that I bought the blades had split.  I managed to get four good ones, so I have one working fan.  The company tells me they could not have been split because they are each inspected before they were sent out ….. but clearly there is a quality issue here.  I was told to return the blades which I did, but several weeks on I am being told that only the motor is warrantied for 10 years, the blades are not covered by the warranty!  So now I have no blades at all for one expensive fan.

These are very expensive, very beautiful fans.  However it is difficult to recommend a company that treats its customers in this way.  Please be warned, if you are going to buy a Mr Ken Fan, do not in any circumstances do it through the internet or by mail order.  Buy from a shop and make sure to unpack it and check it to make sure that the blades are in good order first. 

Hopefully this will be of help to someone.  I will of course update this message and swallow my words if everything turns out ok.  

• Like 2

@monte01 while I understand the situation and sympathise you have left out the point that many of the MrKen fans (in fact most) do not have wood blades. Of the 13 fans that we have bought only one has wood blades.

You don’t say where you are or where you bought the fans but a visit to and of the few showrooms they have (I’ve visited one, and the distribution warehouse in Bangkok) or calling them is likely to be a good idea, though not many staff speak English so a Thai speaker will have better luck.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/6/2018 at 3:14 PM, kamalabob2 said:

I have paid for and had installed in a Buriram house Hunter Ceiling fans | C.E.I. ceiling fans made in Thailand | Emerson ceiling fan made in Taiwan | Mitsubishi ceiling fans as posted above which are made in Thailand. I would also recommend the Mr. Ken DC Helicopter ceiling fans for interior or exterior installation. Parts are not easy for an Emerson fan or Hunter fan in Thailand in 2018. However CEI, Mitsubishi and Mr. Ken keep stock of spare parts or remotes in 2018 in my personal experiences. I would steer clear of "house brands" which are just marketed in large shops but have no spare parts or repair service teams in Thailand. Italian or Swiss sounding brand names on a box but no actual repair teams is a blueprint for disappointment in Isaan.  

Buriram DC Ceiling Fan Mr Ken installation village house.jpg

Mr Ken DC ceiling fan installation in Buriram Village expat home.jpg

Mr. Ken exterior veranda large ceiling fan installed in Buriram Village.jpg

that looks decent large fan ...I am after about 100 inch fan ..anyone know where to get a good one? thanks 

• 2 weeks later...