Ceiling Fan recommendations

zeekgarcia

Getting tired of dragging around a standard floor model fan  and am thinking of getting ceiling fans but I want to know if anyone can recommend any.  

Can ceiling fans compete with the airflow of floor model fans like this Hatari 16" HB-S16M4 floor model fan

www.lazada.co.th/products/hatari-16-hb-s16m4-i100504300-s100983980.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.66.663d511arNm8Ib&search=1 

We have a helicopter type one with lights in one room and Hatari oscillating normal looking fans that can mount ceiling or walls.

There are so many types best go see yourself, Global House has numerous types in stock. 

25 minutes ago, zeekgarcia said:

Can ceiling fans compete with the airflow of floor model fans like this Hatari 16" HB-S16M4 floor model fan

Personally I think no. We have a 16" Hatari ceiling fan and an 18"  Hatari  floor model in our bedroom. When it is hot we only use the floor model. The ceiling fan seems to take an age to complete its oscillating cycle even on full speed. They don't work together either because the seem to counteract each other.

• Like 1

Avoid the cheap fans with cardboard vanes that sag over time, and remote control fans that default to ON after power loss.

The classic Mitsubishi metal blade ceiling fans with hard wired controller take some beating. They also have remote control models.

123fan.jpg.db36542f06666839eb45dd99266137b4.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:
Avoid the cheap fans with cardboard vanes that sag over time, and remote control fans that default to ON after power loss.

The classic Mitsubishi metal blade ceiling fans with hard wired controller take some beating. They also have remote control models.

123fan.jpg.db36542f06666839eb45dd99266137b4.jpg

We are a number of the Mitsubishi fans as you posted, have been faultless over 6 years.

One more Vote for Mr. Ken DC-Fans. You can get them in different styles and sizes.

Go as big as possible, I have an 60" fan and it blew away my old Westinghouse Fan what i brought over from Europe.

Sure they are not cheap (mine was around 10.000 Baht) but well worth the money!

Edited by MoD1977

2 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

One more Vote for Mr. Ken DC-Fans.

I have paid for and had installed in a Buriram house Hunter Ceiling fans | C.E.I. ceiling fans made in Thailand | Emerson ceiling fan made in Taiwan | Mitsubishi ceiling fans as posted above which are made in Thailand. I would also recommend the Mr. Ken DC Helicopter ceiling fans for interior or exterior installation. Parts are not easy for an Emerson fan or Hunter fan in Thailand in 2018. However CEI, Mitsubishi and Mr. Ken keep stock of spare parts or remotes in 2018 in my personal experiences. I would steer clear of "house brands" which are just marketed in large shops but have no spare parts or repair service teams in Thailand. Italian or Swiss sounding brand names on a box but no actual repair teams is a blueprint for disappointment in Isaan.  

2 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

Buriram DC Ceiling Fan Mr Ken installation village house.jpg

Mr Ken DC ceiling fan installation in Buriram Village expat home.jpg

Mr. Ken exterior veranda large ceiling fan installed in Buriram Village.jpg

On 5/5/2018 at 2:19 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

If you want the best the buy a DC MrKen they are whisper quiet, good looking, have 6 speeds, and use around 1/10 the electricity of an AC unit. You can have metal, ABS or wood blades

IMG_3986.thumb.JPG.399b06cda4eda5ddc06d90fa5e352683.JPGIMG_3988.thumb.JPG.7365722dbde6126f2b12692524cdb0c5.JPGIMG_3989.thumb.JPG.67cf6ee2f42c3e4f07072cd2c6a805ed.JPGIMG_3990.thumb.JPG.68278ccdc67f00b563d9092a35ef360a.JPGIMG_3991.thumb.JPG.e2370a6408e49e6cc7a62c3439228975.JPGIMG_3992.thumb.JPG.0b3ba7c859552291a74cb933001b334b.JPGIMG_3993.thumb.JPG.aba2acb463880f75ea808710610680ea.JPG

Does the light on these fans light up the whole room like a standard ceiling light?

• Like 1

On 05/05/2018 at 1:19 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

If you want the best the buy a DC MrKen they are whisper quiet, good looking, have 6 speeds, and use around 1/10 the electricity of an AC unit. You can have metal, ABS or wood blades

IMG_3986.thumb.JPG.399b06cda4eda5ddc06d90fa5e352683.JPGIMG_3988.thumb.JPG.7365722dbde6126f2b12692524cdb0c5.JPGIMG_3989.thumb.JPG.67cf6ee2f42c3e4f07072cd2c6a805ed.JPGIMG_3990.thumb.JPG.68278ccdc67f00b563d9092a35ef360a.JPGIMG_3991.thumb.JPG.e2370a6408e49e6cc7a62c3439228975.JPGIMG_3992.thumb.JPG.0b3ba7c859552291a74cb933001b334b.JPGIMG_3993.thumb.JPG.aba2acb463880f75ea808710610680ea.JPG

Without getting into the looks, noise and speed control etc. to which there is no argument, the payback period for power saved using  DC unit would take years to recoup against a quality AC unit.

So are they  a better proposition, debatable for  domestic situation. 

23 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Without getting into the looks, noise and speed control etc. to which there is no argument, the payback period for power saved using  DC unit would take years to recoup against a quality AC unit.

Apparently they use around 1/10 of the electricity that an AC fan consumes which I guess is for equal air movement. Now that's a lot of saving and has that real Indiegogo physics bending feel about it. If true, these Mr Ken guys should get into the jet engine business and make some real coin.

50 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Apparently they use around 1/10 of the electricity that an AC fan consumes which I guess is for equal air movement. Now that's a lot of saving and has that real Indiegogo physics bending feel about it. If true, these Mr Ken guys should get into the jet engine business and make some real coin.

1/10 is nonsense, something like 60 maybe 70 less is more like it, so if you save 20 - 30  watts per hour the yearly save is not all that much. 

10 hrs/day x 365 / 30 = 121kWh x4 bht = B 486.

Edited by Artisi

37 minutes ago, Artisi said:

1/10 is nonsense, something like 60 maybe 70 less is more like it, so if you save 20 - 30  watts per hour the yearly save is not all that much. 

10 hrs/day x 365 / 30 = 121kWh x4 bht = B 486.

And your proof is where?

The average 48" ac fan is using 75 watts my MrKen 84" is using 27watts

8 hours ago, zeekgarcia said:

Does the light on these fans light up the whole room like a standard ceiling light?

Yes easily, I have fitted 2 x 12w LED bulbs into each of my Helicopter fans and the standard LED Lighting units in the other fans easily light up the rooms

Edited by sometimewoodworker

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

I have yet to find an AC fan that is as quiet, or controllable, so (apart from the cost/payback which is a different subject) there is for me no question as to which one is is the better in my situation. The noise and speed control are much more important.

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And your proof is where?

The average 48" ac fan is using 75 watts my MrKen 84" is using 27watts

Assuming 48" and 84" are handling somewhere the same amount of air but at different speeds and power input, the reduction of power is 27/75 which is about 1/3 or the 30% as I quoted. 

I have yet to find an AC fan that is as quiet, or controllable, so (apart from the cost/payback which is a different subject) there is for me no question as to which one is is the better in my situation. The noise and speed control are much more important.

No argument from me on speed control and noise although my AC units are not noisy but 6 speed would be better than the 4 speed wireless control that I have on the bedroom units. 

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

Assuming 48" and 84" are handling somewhere the same amount of air but at different speeds and power input, the reduction of power is 27/75 which is about 1/3 or the 30% as I quoted. 

Why would you assume they are handling the same amount of air? 

It it would be more appropriate to assume that the 84” is handling 2 to 3 times the amount. So giving a much greater saving.

14 hours ago, Artisi said:

No argument from me on speed control and noise although my AC units are not noisy but 6 speed would be better than the 4 speed wireless control that I have on the bedroom units. 

Can you hear them at all on speed 1? 

In a silent room mine small fans are silent on speeds 1 and 2  almost silent on 3 and only when you get to 5 an 6  are they noticeable. The 84” fans are silent on 1, 2, 3, and 4 quieter than the refrigerator on 5 and about the same as it on 6.

The other advantage is that AC fans can be run in reverse. 

Just for interest with double AAC walls and laminated IGU's the inside of the house is really really quiet at about 46dB the directly under helicopter on 6 raises the noise level by 2dB, the smaller ones are about 5dB louder on maximum.

35 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Can you hear them at all on speed 1? 

In a silent room mine small fans are silent on speeds 1 and 2  almost silent on 3 and only when you get to 5 an 6  are they noticeable. The 84” fans are silent on 1, 2, 3, and 4 quieter than the refrigerator on 5 and about the same as it on 6.

The other advantage is that AC fans can be run in reverse. 

Just for interest with double AAC walls and laminated IGU's the inside of the house is really really quiet at about 46dB the directly under helicopter on 6 raises the noise level by 2dB, the smaller ones are about 5dB louder on maximum.

I hear the blade noise at high speed but it's not unbearable during the night , plus we usually run at one speed lower unless an extremely hot night.  

Why would you assume they are handling the same amount of air? 

It it would be more appropriate to assume that the 84” is handling 2 to 3 times the amount. So giving a much greater saving.

if you were handling 2 or 3 times the amount of air than what our units are moving, you would need to issue a hurricane warning :biggrin:

DC ceiling fan motors consume less energy than AC equivalents for a given load. How much less depends on motor design loss in electronic conversion etc. Like all energy saving sales pitches, customers like to hear the laboratory numbers.

Once you have your DC/AC power savings for a given load, you cant claim additional saving because the super DC fan has longer or more blades.

Increase air movement and the load increases. No amount of super long fan blade design is going to make much difference other than move air in a more convenient way. If you want longer blades for the same load then a pitch change is required.

It should also be noted that most DC ceiling are more sensitive to power line spikes and cost more to repair or replace.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 8:42 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes easily, I have fitted 2 x 12w LED bulbs into each of my Helicopter fans and the standard LED Lighting units in the other fans easily light up the rooms

Sorry for my ignorance but from what you said above does this mean that the fans came with light bulb sockets already and you just screw in the regular or led bulbs?

Or did you modify the fans to have lights on them?

On 18/05/2018 at 8:39 AM, zeekgarcia said:

Sorry for my ignorance but from what you said above does this mean that the fans came with light bulb sockets already and you just screw in the regular or led bulbs?

Or did you modify the fans to have lights on them?

The helicopter fans light options have sockets and you add CFL or LED bulbs.

the other fans have a light option which is a custom LED board fitted to them.

if you don't want the light option then the price is lower.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had one of the floor standing Hatari fans for years.  It's had one problem, which the local electrician fixed for about 200 baht.   Based on my superior experience with this fan, I decided to get a 16" Hatari wall fan.   The first one started making some sort of rumbling sound.   The second one started making a minor rattling sound, only when oscillating, after about a week.   Hooked up the third one tonight, and it smells like something is melting inside.   Guess I'm off to Homepro tomorrow to return this one, and have finally learned my lesson.  The guy at the store actually had unpacked another one to check it and it was making a whining noise.   I guess I'll try the Mitsubishi or Panasonic next.  I would love to do the ceiling fans, but I've got drop drywall ceilings with sprinklers and fire detectors in the center of the rooms.  

Just wanted to pass on the Hatari info....I was sold on them, and still love the pedestal fan, however nothing but problems with the wall fans.

What no one has mentioned is the fact that they push down all the hot air. We had an all singing all dancing one used it a few time but it didn't cool anything. Now long gone, now use wall fans and a stand up ones Regards moving then about just buy a few of them one two in every room problem solved.

• Like 1

What no one has mentioned is the fact that they push down all the hot air. We had an all singing all dancing one used it a few time but it didn't cool anything. Now long gone, now use wall fans and a stand up ones Regards moving then about just buy a few of them one two in every room problem solved.

They generally have a reverse...