SPECIAL REPORT: Alarm raised as Thailand drowns in plastic trash

rooster59

Its really not a hard problem to solve, start charging for plastic bags. Heavy fines for littering. Make people pay for trash bags if they want to throw trash away at trash collection points. Things countries such as Taiwan and South Korea are doing very successfully.

All the solutions to the problem so far have been about recycle and use less. .Why not just ban plastic bags and be done with it. Go paper or bring your own cloth bag or bags.Why wait for people to get educated about it. Most people will never care. Once they dispose of a plastic bag it is not their problem as they see it. If plastic bags were not available there would be no problem. Just stop the sale and distribution of plastic bags. Then slowly start removing plastic in other things being made.

Many things in Thailand we see now made of plastic used to be made from bamboo or other bio degradeable things. Not hard to go back to that. Maybe more labour intensive but so what. 

I bought a small basket that is made for picking fruit at high levels on a tree just had to add a length of bamboo so it was useable. My neighbour  tried it one time and then went out and bought one made of plastic. A bit of upmanship. His plastic one will break same as my bamboo one. But my bamboo one will recycle easy. The neighbours will be a broken piece of plastic for hundreds of years.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 7:40 AM, Lungstib said:

I stood behind a woman yesterday who bought bottles of water. 6 plastic bottles, covered in thick plastic shrink wrap, placed inside 2 carrier bags, which she didn't carry but strapped on a m'bike. With 12 bottles of water, bread double plastic wrapped and a few other items she needed an environmental warning as she drove away up the road. It's a lifestyle that will be hard to change.

Yep. Multiply that by a 2,000 people per minute at least 8 hours a day every day...and that's just in Thailand. 

9 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Show me a modern non capitalistic country that has no problem with plastic polution.

I would venture to say that there are probably not so modern countries who still have the plastic pollution problem.

I don't believe that there are or ever have been any non-capitalistic countries, nor are there any countries that are wholly capitalistic, that's  missing the point. I'm talking about how  industry has to expand profits year in and year out, how that will always far and away be what is the priority, not people or the environment's welfare (capitalism). Plastic is no different. The industry is big enough, tied to the petroleum industry enough that you know that they have governments in their pockets to help insure their continuing expansion. So until that imperative of the petroleum and plastic industry disappears, you aren't going to get rid of the plastic problem. The plastic industry must in order to survive increase its profits, therefore you have a problem if you want to try to implement recycling, limiting use and other new solutions because basically they need to crank out ever more plastic with each year to increase profits. And if you hark back to the past thats all you notice, that there is just more and more plastic with each passing year despite the fact that we have been aware of the plastic problem from the get go.

2 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

I don't believe that there are or ever have been any non-capitalistic countries, nor are there any countries that are wholly capitalistic, that's  missing the point. I'm talking about how  industry has to expand profits year in and year out, how that will always far and away be what is the priority, not people or the environment's welfare (capitalism). Plastic is no different. The industry is big enough, tied to the petroleum industry enough that you know that they have governments in their pockets to help insure their continuing expansion. So until that imperative of the petroleum and plastic industry disappears, you aren't going to get rid of the plastic problem. The plastic industry must in order to survive increase its profits, therefore you have a problem if you want to try to implement recycling, limiting use and other new solutions because basically they need to crank out ever more plastic with each year to increase profits. And if you hark back to the past thats all you notice, that there is just more and more plastic with each passing year despite the fact that we have been aware of the plastic problem from the get go.

Whew.............................and I thought that you were (from your "vigorous" comments) merely anti-capitalist.   

Nothing wrong with criticism, if you have an alternative solution. 

And your viable alternative solution to the problem is? :whistling:

On 5/6/2018 at 10:30 AM, wicketkeeper said:

Need a sponsor, a T-shirt maker and a distributor.

It says "I don't want a plastic bag".

NO PLASTIC T shirt 2.jpg

Literally, it simply says, "No want bag."  There is no explicit or implicit reference to 'plastic.' 
Could mean paper bag, plastic bag, cloth bag.  Just saying.......  :whistling:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fantom said:

Rimping has a 'say no to plastic bags campaign'

:smile:

As they continue to pack my separate stuff in different bags!  CHARGE 5 THB and problem decreases 99% overnight.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BobBKK said:

As they continue to pack my separate stuff in different bags!  CHARGE 5 THB and problem decreases 99% overnight.

If you dont bring your own bag you can buy a re usable bag in the store, otherwise just say no to plastic bags and show your own shopping bag (s) and the checkout lady, appreciating your thoughtfulness and foresight, will happily proceed to load your stuff into the bag you had the wisdom to bring with you.

The money saved from not using plastic bags will be forewarded to charity and you will proceed to the exit past the other farangs with their trollies loaded to the brim with plastic bag wrapped shopping and wonder why they dont do the same.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:25 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

When I go to my local market, I have a plastic bag or two in my pocket.

The market ladies all know me and often point at me, telling their friends that "there is the Farang who brings his own bags!". I even get small discounts on occasion as the ladies say "you save me money".

Until my pulling a plastic bag out of my pocket or people bringing a cloth bag daily becomes the norm, Thailand (and not just Thailand) will continue to drown in an ugly sea of waste.

This problem will be around for a while as people's habits don't change quickly, but re-using a plastic bag several times is easy to do and will have a huge and immediate effect on the environment.

The problem is, as always, with people.

I too am the farang that brings my own bags to Big C, and from their comments no Thais do so.

At Rimping, the checkout lady asked if I wanted to put everything in my backpack, without me having to ask, so they are getting the idea, but apparently only farangs doing so.

Given mankind's attempts to destroy the planets ecosystem with over exploitation and pollution, humans may be following the dinosaurs into extinction, even without a meteor strike.

17 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Whew.............................and I thought that you were (from your "vigorous" comments) merely anti-capitalist.   

Nothing wrong with criticism, if you have an alternative solution. 

And your viable alternative solution to the problem is? :whistling:

In London, they are putting things in paper bags, and a plastic bag at the mini mart cost me 5 pence.

Unfortunately, places like Starbucks still use plastic cups for their expensive brown water ( I had to buy a cup of coffee to use the toilet as public toilets apparently no longer exist there ).

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

At Rimping, the checkout lady asked if I wanted to put everything in my backpack, without me having to ask, so they are getting the idea, but apparently only farangs doing so.

From another Forum (I think) it seems that farang care more about Thailand than the locals. :sad:

• Like 2

In London, they are putting things in paper bags, and a plastic bag at the mini mart cost me 5 pence.

Unfortunately, places like Starbucks still use plastic cups for their expensive brown water ( I had to buy a cup of coffee to use the toilet as public toilets apparently no longer exist there ).

There are public toilets but not free, the ones in Trafalgar square where 20p if memory serves.

20p to "spend a penny" inflation !

at least they where cleanish and modern as opposed to the local train station where the "gents" was disgusting and still had the Victorian pull the chain flush toilet with above head height water cistern,no toilet paper and of course the obligatory sexual graffiti.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

There are public toilets but not free the ones in Trafalgar square where 20p if memory serves.
20p to "spend a penny" inflation !

30 p in train stations in London. Free outside London. I will be happy never to return to that overcrowded, expensive rat hole again in my life. They're even destroying the character of the place by building modern high rises that could be in Bkk.

I paid 2 pounds 50 p to use Starbucks toilet ( only for customers ) so 20 p would have been a great price.

Millions of tourists every year and they've closed most of the public toilets that I used 10 years ago. Disgusting, and shame on them.

On 5/8/2018 at 8:14 AM, fantom said:

If you dont bring your own bag you can buy a re usable bag in the store, otherwise just say no to plastic bags and show your own shopping bag (s) and the checkout lady, appreciating your thoughtfulness and foresight, will happily proceed to load your stuff into the bag you had the wisdom to bring with you.

The money saved from not using plastic bags will be forewarded to charity and you will proceed to the exit past the other farangs with their trollies loaded to the brim with plastic bag wrapped shopping and wonder why they dont do the same.

Yes I know but it's NOT the answer to the bigger problem. I always forget to bring my cotton bag and even if I dp bring it I have to carry it around whilst I do other things. The answer is to charge for the bags and the problem will reduce significantly.

Have an entity (the government?) pay 5 baht for each plastic bag turned in for re-cycle/permanent destruction like they did with glass bottles of the past and have customers charged 5 baht/new bag to pay for it.

If it continues as it is, future generations will be asking "what we were thinking?" and many of us are already asking that question.

On 10/05/2018 at 7:37 AM, MaxYakov said:

Have an entity (the government?) pay 5 baht for each plastic bag turned in for re-cycle/permanent destruction like they did with glass bottles of the past and have customers charged 5 baht/new bag to pay for it.

If it continues as it is, future generations will be asking "what we were thinking?" and many of us are already asking that question.

All good apart from the assumption there will be future generations.

It's in us to destroy ourselves and I'm sure we will.

• Like 1

Some credit should be given to Makro.  No bags at all, we just roll the trolley to the back of the car and throw the stuff in. Never felt the need for the bags, the process to pantry repeats in reverse once at home.

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Some credit should be given to Makro.  No bags at all, we just roll the trolley to the back of the car and throw the stuff in. Never felt the need for the bags, the process to pantry repeats in reverse once at home.

You have a Makro trolley at home as well!? I use the same approach with bicycle panniers (saddlebags). I take the bike up an elevator and roll it right up to the pantry, since I keep the bike in my apartment's living area (actually, several of them - but that's another story).

Edited by MaxYakov

3 minutes ago, johng said:

So you have a Macro trolley at home ? how much did they charge for that :tongue:

Well I bought one from there, 600b if I remember right. Not the same type. Apppreciate the quip but felt the need to retaliate :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/05/2018 at 2:04 AM, Oziex1 said:

This is global problem not just a Thai problem.

correct. but many countries are taking practical and effective steps to reduce the use of plastic. thailand pays lip service to being environmentally friendly; remember the 'save the world' slogan? people said it all the time while carrying on as before.

the government is scared of bad publicity; the u turn on the sensible banning of people riding in the back of pick ups - which would save countless lives.

the government is afraid, and to be honest probably incapable, of charging for plastic bags - an extremely effective way of promoting/encouraging primary recycling - because the poor will wail and cry about how they can't afford it...

dont expect thailand to become environmentally friendly any time soon.

3 minutes ago, johng said:

I just remembered I got one (a bit) like this stashed away in a corner somewhere.

don't know if it will stand being dragged up to the stairs to 3rd floor with 50 + KG of shopping in it.

ShoppingTroleyStripes10053168_x.jpg.2d8a083b72887db66f68c983bbaebf37.jpg

Yup that's the type. I also use slave labor to haul the loot in, handy when you got 3 kids to exploit. It's just 8m from car to fridge, but they need the exercise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Henrik Andersen said:

We farangs have try to tell Thailand in a decade you have to mush pollution and plastic bags everywhere how can it be possible you not know this before now 

If a Thai ever listens to a farang and actually changes behaviour, it must be the end of times.

• Haha 2