Thai passengers charged extra because names too long to fit on boarding passes

webfact

They have to travel using thier full name. 

I once shortened my first name when making a booking online and was pulled aside in Hong Kong for about 15 minutes because the boarding pass didn’t match the passport. 

This is such BS, the staff were trying for more money for their pockets.

1. If the boarding pass contains an incorrect or incomplete name then it is not valid.

2. If the pass is not valid, then 3000THB will not make it valid.

3. Did the 3000THB end up in the company accounts or someone's pocket?

4. Did the passengers get a receipt for the 3000THB?

Pardon my cynicism but I know Thais better than most, so I assume they were stealing.

• Like 1

I have had many times when Thai's complain that I can not pronounce their long complicated names correctly... still they can not pronounce my name correctly... 3 letters!

Edited by Kasset Tak
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Hope they don't have to list place of departure - fine would be more than the holiday !

gales.jpg

And the English translation is.

Taffy, Boyo, Station  :giggle:

:sorry:

Edited by stanleycoin

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

555. Many years ago had same argument/discussion with an IT idiot when all spare parts in the warehouse had to be in an accessible to all datsbase. They wanted all the parts to have a similar name format. I told them that when a guy looks in the manufacturer's parts list he wants to search for what the manufacturer calls it not to stand at some terminal trying to guess what the IT dept. called it. 

Sometimes IT guys can't see the wood for the trees. As above just make the field longer.

Always assuming the department that designed the pass left enough space and specified the font-size to be large enough to be read. Which is maybe moot. Did you ever notice how many bridges collapse in Thailand? How many roads are good away from the main highways? How many other things Thais manage to foul up?

Welcome to the developing world, where nothing works until the 3rd or 4th iteration.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Some Thai family names have like 20 plus letters in them, and if they

see fit to keep these names for all sorts of reason, than be ready to the

computer age and pay for that pleasure of having such a unique and

ridiculously long surnames...

This is really the most stupid reaction I have read in a very long time.

It is not only surnames, but the combination of names that is the problem......for the airlines.

As it is, just a way to extract extra income from passengers, airlines are very good at that.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

This is such BS, the staff were trying for more money for their pockets.

1. If the boarding pass contains an incorrect or incomplete name then it is not valid.

2. If the pass is not valid, then 3000THB will not make it valid.

3. Did the 3000THB end up in the company accounts or someone's pocket?

4. Did the passengers get a receipt for the 3000THB?

Pardon my cynicism but I know Thais better than most, so I assume they were stealing.

This "thing" happens all over the world, just a hoax from the airlines to steal some money from people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

“The airline has now reimbursed the man for the extra charges and says it will be fixing its website so the problem doesn’t happen again.”

Well done that airline. 

is the power of the media that forced the solution

3 hours ago, pearciderman said:

I am pretty sure that there are not 68.86 million different surnames in Thailand - are you sure you know what unique means?

I once read that when surnames were introduced only 100 years ago, no family was allowed to have the same as another one.

I guess this is the explanation for so many long surnames

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Seriously? You think everyone has to modify their names to suit some prat of an IT clown who designs an on-line system?

One of the big issues at the moment is the amount of forms, on-line and hard copy that have been designed by narrow minded dimwits who think one size, there size of course, fits all. 

And your answer is enforced compliance or financial punishment. I salute you!

So what if a name had 500 letters, or a million letters.  Are you saying all forms should accomodate these?

31 minutes ago, angy said:

is the power of the media that forced the solution

Well done my backside. They didn't foresee this? I bet they absolutely did or they should fire their marketing/design people.

Mind you, this is Thailand, the next ones will be just the same...

Edited by KiwiKiwi

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A relative of mine has a girlfriend named Pongpiss. 

If her first name was "Beer" as some girls are named, that would be quite moniker.

Edited by torrzent

My hyphenated last name is unacceptable to airline reservation systems so I am required to remove it and join the two names. It is then not as it appears in the passport. So far no problems.

4 pages in.. and time for the real answer to the multiple syllable surname.  :smile:

Many years ago, the Thai Government of the day decided that from that point onward all Chinese immigrants would have to adopt a Thai surname. This was accomplished with the help of various sources, primarily the local Wat.

Thailand is, to my knowledge, the only country where Chinese immigrants do not retain their original Chinese surname. Their original surnames have not been forgotten, and there are many associations exclusive to those original surnames.

Ethnic Thai surnames are usually only 2 or 3 syllables long. a handy tip for sorting out who is who. Thai people are fully aware of this...

• Like 1