Unique situation - April & may has been horrid

Ok so some of this is my fault so please no saying your an idiot or blah blah.

My non O ran out on April 28, on the Monday march 1st I'd have been ok getting to a border as IV already used the two month extension and it was too late to apply for one year visa - my fault,

I had no problems with paying a couple of K for overstay if needed.

What happened instead is that week my bike along with my passport inside my bike (stupid I know but it was outside my house) got stolen, so I had no passport, I reported it to the police, got a police note etc contacted UK embassy to try and sort a ETD and did everything by the book.

Where I live the residents if asked by police always just say "we don't know"

My good friend told me it was a Cambodian lad and the taxi drivers also said it was him, I confronted him and said, keep the bike I don't care about the bike, just please can I get my passport back, he denied it all his mates were laughing etc. 

It got a bit heated and the police came, Cambodians all ran and police asked me what happened, I explained and said I'm not going til I get my passport back. 

They cuffed me and took me to the cells in the main police station, I wasn't charged and my fine was just 20baht paperwork BUT I stayed in the shared cells until Tuesday so 6 days nearly. So now IV overstayed with no passport no ETD as I missed the appointment due to bring locked up for no reason and kept inside for no reason.

My question is will immigration understand all this or am I in for a 6-7k overstay and potential ban from the entering?

I have all paperwork to prove stolen passport and being inside the cells

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Seanbhoy said:

My question is will immigration understand all this or am I in for a 6-7k overstay and potential ban from the entering?

You definitely will be charged overstay when leaving the country, but there will be no ban if you “surrender” at the border.

If you’re caught on overstay before getting to the border you could be detained, formally prosecuted and would be banned.

You should get your passport from the embassy and leave the country asap. You’ll need your police report to show at the border in order to be stamped out.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You’ll need your police report to show at the border in order to be stamped out.

Plus a certified English translation in order to obtain a permanent replacement passport from HMPO in due course.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Keep your cool from now on. Get an ETD and do a border bounce for a visa exempt entry without delay. Avoid Poipet.

Immediately, apply for a replacement passport. The ETD is what the name applies: an emergency document until you can arrange a proper passport. 

When you have a proper passport, assuming you want a new Non O, go to Savannakhet, Ho Chi Minh City of wherever to apply for it. Immigration on departure will sort out transferring your entry stamp from your ETD to your passport.

At this point, you have not managed to totally screw up your life. I would suggest you keep it that way. 

Yeh it feels like I have, I had a really good job and new management just took over sales department I was absent Friday Monday and Tuesday and police wouldn't let me call.

They said they would call on my behalf and I guess new management of a professional company doesn't like to hear a policeman saying your staff is locked up til Tuesday. 

• Sad 1

It went along the lines off, collect your final pay which I just did and good luck for your future. 

Oh and sign this your work permit is CAX - If I didn't have a channel in brain that can block stuff out I think I'd cry

You can't do a border run on emergency travel document if Ur already overstayed - only way you can do it is lie to the British Embassy they issue the document then pay overstay on border and prey to God they let you back through.

If I hadn't overstayed it'd be ok

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

All of this was so avoidable. You have turned a molehill into a munro.

Your biggest error was getting locked up trying to get your passport. Your passport was cancelled and voided for travel by the British Embassy soon after you applied for an ETD.

You got locked up for a worthless piece of paper. Good luck for the future, I hope it all works out for you.

Mate did you not read my first sentence? I know it's my fault and I know it could have been avoided.

I can get an EDT and not tell UK embassy IV overstayed, il do a border run pay overstay come back on tourist, my new passport will hopefully be here by the time my tourist visa runs out, then go to savanakhet and get a new non O.

Yes your right my biggest thing was getting locked up, but I couldn't just sit there thinking they got the better of me, I just asked for my passport, luckily they were Cambodians and they ran quick when police came, they didn't file a report or I think I would have got a bit of time.

Pathumthani police cells are horrid, first night I was pissed up so slept good and only 4 of us in the cell, second night was quite a few in and out cos just playing cards, worst day is sunday maybe more than 10 in my cell, ladies cell was full and junior cell had one kid in from smoking yaa. everyone in there nearly had been caught smoking drugs or testing positive.

18 year old lady got 6 months inside from grabbing his girlfriend's boob and she reported it in nakhon sawan, he got driven to pathumthani and processed, crying his eyes out.

No money no food, no telephone call, no pillow no towel, the toilet is disgusting and in the actual cell do people can hear you take a dump, it's inhuman.

It was absolutely hurrendous, mosquitos, cockroaches, hot dirty hardvfloor as your bed, water bottle for a pillow. 

Grown men crying, no fresh air, you call the police for something, they just ignore you.

I'm never going back in there, ever.

I actually thought I'm never getting out. Sleeping on a hard floor with loads of strangers.

Horrible.

Your biggest error was getting locked up trying to get your passport. Your passport was cancelled and voided for travel by the British Embassy soon after you applied for an ETD.

You got locked up for a worthless piece of paper. Good luck for the future, I hope it all works out for you.

3 minutes ago, Seanbhoy said:

I can get an EDT and not tell UK embassy IV overstayed, il do a border run pay overstay come back on tourist, my new passport will hopefully be here by the time my tourist visa runs out, then go to savanakhet and get a new non O.

The problem you have is that an ETD usually states that it is valid only for a single journey to the UK.

You can ask the Embassy to vary that, and make the ETD valid for multiple journeys, such as:

1. Valid for multiple journeys, to:

2. Laos, arriving on xx-xx-2018.

3. Thailand, arriving on xx-xx-2018.

Ask and see what you can get out if them. They usually require proof of travel (such as plane tickets), but what you want is not unheard of.

The problem you have is that an ETD usually states that it is valid only for a single journey to the UK.

You can ask the Embassy to vary that, and make the ETD valid for multiple journeys, such as:

1. Valid for multiple journeys, to:

2. Laos, arriving on xx-xx-2018.

3. Thailand, arriving on xx-xx-2018.

Ask and see what you can get out if them. They usually require proof of travel (such as plane tickets), but what you want is not unheard of.

It's all done online now, 10 years ago I went to Embassy with police report and they did it the same day in person, it was a Thai bank holiday so immigration was closed - it never used to be in changwatana rd.

Cos immigration was closed and I was flying on the Sunday they wrote a proper letter asking Thai immigration at the airport to let me through as a goodwill kinda thing. 

I got to the airoort, showed my letter excluding me from having an entry stamp, Thai police or immigration did not give 2 f*cks. No entry stamp your not leaving. 

They didn't detain me just said go to immigration when it reopens.

I knew full well there computers can check records of entry and exit, so I made sure I had 20k baht on me, it was only 200 a day overstay then. Anyway I paid the 20k, they kept me in a room with loads of immigrants, loads of indians in there, loads of Burmese all hsbd cuffed.

They let me go after I paid, took the reciept and caught my flight.

After I came back everytime I went through immigration they get a manager and ask loads of questions etc.

Your right I can do multiple countries on ETD, you just have to specify where your going, I could exit and re enter aslong as your specific

Edited by Seanbhoy
Spelling

17 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

Yeh it feels like I have, I had a really good job and new management just took over sales department I was absent Friday Monday and Tuesday and police wouldn't let me call.

They said they would call on my behalf and I guess new management of a professional company doesn't like to hear a policeman saying your staff is locked up til Tuesday. 

Hang on, If you have a Work Permit, then you should have a 1 year Multiple entry Non B? Why the overstay? The company would normally just renew your WP and visa yearly? Something doesn't sound right mate? 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Seanbhoy said:

due to bring locked up for no reason and kept inside for no reason.

Well as far as the police were concerned they had reason. If they haven't charged you at least you won't be deported for that. Good luck.

9 hours ago, blackcab said:

Electronically cancelled yes. But you can still use it to exit/enter Thailand and other countries in Asia.

Edited by thedemon
  • Thanks 1

This is why i never carry my passport,,, I have a photo of the main page and my most recent visa stamp in my phone.. The BIB always accept it,,, There's no law that says you have to carry your actual passport with you. A copy of the relevant pages are enough.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well as far as the police were concerned they had reason. If they haven't charged you at least you won't be deported for that. Good luck.

You ever been inside the jail in Bangkok? If they feel like letting you out they will, if they wanna sit about and smoke or watch TV then you'll just have to wait.

31 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:

Hang on, If you have a Work Permit, then you should have a 1 year Multiple entry Non B? Why the overstay? The company would normally just renew your WP and visa yearly? Something doesn't sound right mate? 

You don't need a multiple non B - I have non immigration O 3 months then extended by 2 months. 

I could have got 1 year multiple non O but my intention was to just apply for 1 year marriage.

You do know if you want to work in Thailand it doesn't HAVE to be non B.

You can do it on non immigration O too.

It was difficult obtaining a non B whilst I was actually in bangkok, the agent they use kept saying I needed certified documents from UK embassy which they do not do anymore. So I told the director save money from paying the agent and il do it myself and just give reciepts back for expenses.

I posted on here about 6 months ago how i did it.

31 minutes ago, Seanbhoy said:

You ever been inside the jail in Bangkok? If they feel like letting you out they will, if they wanna sit about and smoke or watch TV then you'll just have to wait.

Thanks for the heads up on the lock up conditions. I will be staying away from that at all costs. Good luck.

40 minutes ago, lucifer666 said:

This is why i never carry my passport,,, I have a photo of the main page and my most recent visa stamp in my phone.. The BIB always accept it,,, There's no law that says you have to carry your actual passport with you. A copy of the relevant pages are enough.

Incorrect, a copy of the relevant pages is NOT enough, You have to be able to produce your passport withing a reasonable amount of time. Your actual passport, not photos on your phone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, pearciderman said:

Incorrect, a copy of the relevant pages is NOT enough, You have to be able to produce your passport withing a reasonable amount of time. Your actual passport, not photos on your phone!

Yes - access to it - as in, your wife/friend gets it for you from the safe place where you keep it if necessary.  But this is rarely necessary if you have a copy with you, in the rare-case you have to deal with the police. 

I keep physical color-copies in my wallet of my passport main-page and latest entry-stamp with TM6.  Copies of this, plus all relevant documents for a marriage visa/extension submission, are kept on my phone.  I also have cloud-based copies of all the docs on my phone (in case the phone is lost/stolen).  The originals of everything stay at home, unless I am traveling away from the area where I live.  It is best to be prepared for "unexpected whatevers."

• Like 1

Whatever reason, there is not much else you can do, right? Go there, bring the money for the extra days and explain everything. Maybe you're lucky, maybe you have to bear the consequences.

Maybe next time, keep your passport at all times with you or inside the house. NEVER let anything of value in your motorbike, car, suitcase etc... if it can be stolen, your passport goes too... well you have the experience.

Succes with the immigration.

Edited by Thaijack2014
spelling

Thai cops would see this as karma. If the OP had left Thailand when supposed to -   passport wouldn’t have been stolen,  wouldn’t have ‘intimidated’ the poor Cambodian lads and made a scene, wouldnt have added another crime statistic that makes Thailand look bad, wouldn’t have annoyed the cops by making them do some worketc etc etc...Thai logic, entirely the OP’s fault...

51 minutes ago, Seanbhoy said:

You don't need a multiple non B - I have non immigration O 3 months then extended by 2 months. 

I could have got 1 year multiple non O but my intention was to just apply for 1 year marriage.

You do know if you want to work in Thailand it doesn't HAVE to be non B.

You can do it on non immigration O too.

It was difficult obtaining a non B whilst I was actually in bangkok, the agent they use kept saying I needed certified documents from UK embassy which they do not do anymore. So I told the director save money from paying the agent and il do it myself and just give reciepts back for expenses.

I posted on here about 6 months ago how i did it.

My bad, you learn something new everyday. Still must be pain in the arse though, you really should have done the 1 year. Then again, I guess should have, could have, would have, isn't going to help your situation now. Good luck mate.

It depends where you live, but if you live in a small enough community ... and especially if it is a problem with Cambodians, you can try the Poo Yai Baan. Official channels don't seem to work here. I like to drink with the Poo Yai Baan, they're generally pretty funny and enjoy a good time. They seem to smooth out problems in the community.

Good advice already posted.

You gave detail in excess of the question and I have a question on that detail if you don’t mind.

You wrote - “It got a bit heated and the police came, Cambodians all ran and police asked me what happened, I explained and said I'm not going til I get my passport back. “  Then you’re cuffed - seems like detail missing.

What were your actions specifically that got you cuffed?    Were the cops at fault or did you invite trouble by being aggressive or showing anger toward the police?  

• Like 1