British woman seriously injured in Thailand taxi crash forced to pay £35,000 after wrongly believing she had travel insurance with bank

webfact

26 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

If that`s the case, then why isn`t the taxi company imposed to pay for this woman`s medical expenses? I`m only asking you, because you seem to know it all.

What taxi company? Most taxis are one person companies.

So because I know the law here to a certain extend I must know what is happening in this case. Try to distinguish between the 2 please.

20 minutes ago, connda said:

And why isn't the government, the entity who regulates taxis, requiring the taxis to have adequate coverage to cover the medical payments of the passengers?  That's the bigger question.  The passengers shouldn't be responsible to any of the medical - they are victims!!!

Government is requiring adequate insurance.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Stories like this really piss me off. If you are in a taxi and it has an accident, his insurance should cover any medical expenses, especially if you do not have your own. On that note though, I am continuously shocked how many stupid people, (and if you come somewhere dangerous like Thailand without insurance, you are stupid), either have no insurance or do not bother to check their coverage. Maybe time for the Government to force people entering the country to show proof of adequate coverage, or for them to be forced to buy a package at the point of entry to cover them.

And that Thai taxis have adequate insurance to cover their passengers in case of accidents too?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What taxi company? Most taxis are one person companies.

So because I know the law here to a certain extend I must know what is happening in this case. Try to distinguish between the 2 please.

In Bangkok 95% of taxis are rented from taxi companies that are responsible for insurance.

But I have no idea what the situation is in Phuket.

Was it even a proper taxi? Or perhaps a black plate taxi?

12 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

You seam to be struggling with the bit of my post that says you" would have thought" and" extreme circumstances"

And to expand on why the Government should provide repatriation simple on moral grounds if nothing else the girl is a UK citizen and the country is a G7 member and Thailand neither costs can be haggled over anytime.    

I am not struggling to understand your English nor your point of view at all. I am sure that uninsured citizens are injured, maimed or killed through no fault of their own Worldwide. If you believe that in these circumstances the Government should step in and repatriate them all that is fine. Would you support a legal obligation to show sufficient insurance before purchasing a ticket (rail/boat/plane) before leaving one's home country because it is obvious that some people are just plain ignorant or too tight to take that responsibility themselves.?

I have never understood why people say it should be obligatory before entering Thailand. It should be obligatory before leaving their home countries....

1 minute ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...wish this would go international.....

Too true...Go international with the story so that everybody understands that it is their responsibility to have sufficient insurance and show what happens when you don't..

And if they still don't understand it then get pickups all over Thailand with banners and EXTREMELY loud speakers blaring out in multiple languages BUY INSURANCE!.......Leaflets could be handed out at arrival. People could be made to shout out "I NEED INSURANCE" 3 times before getting a stamp in their passports.

But even if you did all of the above there will still be some tourists expecting somebody else to fund their problem...

58 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

I am not struggling to understand your English nor your point of view at all. I am sure that uninsured citizens are injured, maimed or killed through no fault of their own Worldwide. If you believe that in these circumstances the Government should step in and repatriate them all that is fine. Would you support a legal obligation to show sufficient insurance before purchasing a ticket (rail/boat/plane) before leaving one's home country because it is obvious that some people are just plain ignorant or too tight to take that responsibility themselves.?

I have never understood why people say it should be obligatory before entering Thailand. It should be obligatory before leaving their home countries....

So glad to hear nothing terrible has ever happened to you and in your life you have every eventuality covered in sticky backed plastic and stuck on your fridge door.

So you would champion the girl never moves from here or dies here just because she has little or no cover.

What cover she has or had is totally irrelevant its her situation now that matters.   

5 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Public service vehicle..oh please

Lets all embellish and twist the words so as to turn another sad story into another a thai bashing exercise. 

I really do despair at the mindset of many ( not all ) on here.

How many of us on here have got on the back of a 'public service ' motorbike taxi?

How do we know he has insurance?

We wouldnt understand the documents in any case.

Imagine trying to sue.

There's a reason everything is so cheap.

But you expect switzerland on the cheap

Then again the tone of your post strongly suggests you could never be content.

This woman clearly didnt do her homework.

She has had a tragic and costly accident. You seem hellbent on twisting this so that the thais are portrayed as bad guys.

Well... a taxi is not a private vehicle. is it?  So, a commercial vehicle it must be..surely?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..this is bloody insane...

...foreign victims made to foot an exorbitant bill...time and again....

3 hours ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:
3 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

Too true...Go international with the story so that everybody understands that it is their responsibility to have sufficient insurance and show what happens when you don't..

And if they still don't understand it then get pickups all over Thailand with banners and EXTREMELY loud speakers blaring out in multiple languages BUY INSURANCE!.......Leaflets could be handed out at arrival. People could be made to shout out "I NEED INSURANCE" 3 times before getting a stamp in their passports.

But even if you did all of the above there will still be some tourists expecting somebody else to fund their problem...

When this happens we then have the Chirp brigade members ... a pecking party of blaming the victim, claiming that they should know better. However the last thing Thailand (TAT) would like is for everyone to know about this as it would reduce tourism. The MO; let it go on like this, but blame the victim when it happens. 

14 hours ago, tropo said:

I've never been offered a comprehensive travel insurance package when buying tickets with LCC's. I get them from an independent insurance broker.

What are LCCs? Most of my bookings are through Expedia, and the insurance option always comes up. For short trips I will take it after adding in what I need, for longer periods i will shop around and have a closer look.

2 hours ago, smedly said:

maybe time for public service vehicles in Thailand are forced to carry appropriate insurance to cover their customers in the event of an accident, whether she had insurance or not really has nothing to do with it just as the accident was nothing to do with her, if the driver hadn't got the proper insurance then the Thai government/authorities are complicit and ultimately responsible for not ensuring that the driver did have.

but then having responsibility when it comes to the safety of tourists here is well down the list of priorities ….. money number one in this third rate country who profess to be first rate lol - isn't that a real side splitter :cheesy: 

And there lies the problem- people are applying first world systems and practices to what is basically a third world country. A few 50 storey buildings in Bangers and a handful of 5 star yoga retreats on Samui doesn't alter the fact that it is still a third world country.

• Like 1

i have medical insurance here but to be honest there is so much small print and with insurance companies continually refusing to pay out im thinking of cancelling it. i have money to pay if there become a problem for me but im <deleted> if i want to keep paying out 60,000 baht a year for 3m cover and 10 years down the road should something happen to me and they wont pay up.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

maybe time for public service vehicles in Thailand are forced to carry appropriate insurance to cover their customers in the event of an accident, whether she had insurance or not really has nothing to do with it just as the accident was nothing to do with her, if the driver hadn't got the proper insurance then the Thai government/authorities are complicit and ultimately responsible for not ensuring that the driver did have.

That's today's oxymoron - see the above.

I'm not a fan of these Go Fund Me options, but in this case the lass made a mistake that she shouldn't have done, nevertheless she did, her family resorted to making an appeal, which so far has raised £32,000 of the £35,000 target, it just goes to show that there are many caring, non judgemental, people out there.

• Like 1

Erm, well, good luck with that.  If he did then it would barely cover the cost of two bowls of noodles.  

Seriously, don't go on holiday abroad, anywhere, without solid travel insurance.  You really are on your own away from the nanny state of the UK.
And nowadays, even as a British passport holder resident abroad, you are not covered by the NHS, although you may have paid National Insurance for 47 years! On the rare occasions that I return to UK, I always take out adequate travel insurance, just in case!

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Its a shame but you would think a travel agent would be up to speed on whether she was covered by her banks travel insurance or not. As they say, assumption is the mother of all cock ups. 

exactly. if she cant get the insurance right who can...  useless

16 hours ago, Unsane said:

Erm, well, good luck with that.  If he did then it would barely cover the cost of two bowls of noodles.  

Seriously, don't go on holiday abroad, anywhere, without solid travel insurance.  You really are on your own away from the nanny state of the UK.

holliday makers in Thailand should be made aware that most of thai driven vehicle's have either NO insurance or the 

poro-bor 645bht.

so the time will come NO  first class insurance,no entry.

so then you get,the tourist count is down,cant have that can we.

so the message HAS got to go out,get FIRST CLASS INSURANCE. then you will get sorry but the premium is WHAT?.