Thousands Dead, Hundreds More Dogs Now Dying Due To Scare: Foundation

snoop1130

47 minutes ago, Artisi said:

The blame lies with the stupid bleeding hearts who protest about no extermination and a reduction in the overall number of half starved soi dogs roaming loose throughout Thailand, get this under control and those wishing to do something constructive with homeless dogs might stand  a chance of getting on top of the problem.

Should the TVForum members be feeling guilty! Half want to see the doggies eaten and the other half left to die in their soi. If only the junta would take more notice of us.

Could Thailand not make them a sacred beast like the cow in India?

I've eaten dog (prepared by a top Isaan chef) and IMO it's overrated taste-wise.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Artisi said:

No, not happy with the condition some of them seem to be in, but wouldn't blame the government as many are in no better condition on the streets. The blame lies with the stupid bleeding hearts who protest about extermination and a reduction in the overall number of half starved soi dogs roaming loose throughout Thailand, get this under control and those wishing to do something constructive with homeless dogs might stand  a chance of getting on top of the problem. 

I agree about the need for action. I cannot support any response to the problem that fails to cater for the basic needs of the dogs in these shelters. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spock said:

I agree about the need for action. I cannot support any response to the problem that fails to cater for the basic needs of the dogs in these shelters. 

Can't argue with that other than the problem is solvable, reduce the number of dogs. 

• Like 2

On 11 May 2018 at 7:20 PM, Happy enough said:

well where i live most of the houses have large parking ports out from with large gates and people don't let their dogs out on the streets with the strays. and they are pets and well looked after. do you know how they selected the dogs. they could have just walked to the houses where they saw dogs and convinced the owners to part with them for no real reason

Hardly! I doubt a devoted / responsible pet lover would part with his / hers beloved pet without any "real reason".

Edited by Tofer

3 hours ago, Spock said:

They love their dogs but eat them. And foreigners are to blame for this hypocrisy. Yeah, right! :saai:

I expected at least one unintelligible reply to my contribution. Congratulations ! You get first pick of the Kupie doll on the back shelf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, KiChakayan said:

Your sooo intelligent comment will be sooo useful for all the people in Thailand who want to get off their fat asses and exercise..

Forgot all the motorbike riders who end up in ER because of a stupid mongrel, or the kids who get bitten because some beast wanted their lunch.

Yes.. don't you know those babies and children that are bitten and mauled by dogs are not nice people, and must deserve it.  As the lovely, magical, physic, better than humans, dog know best and can do no wrong.  

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

I expected at least one unintelligible reply to my contribution. Congratulations ! You get first pick of the Kupie doll on the back shelf.

In essence, that's what you said. They are an admirable society because they derive devotion and unconditional love from their doted-upon dog, until the dog performs it ultimate function as a food source. You all but painted a rosy picture of the family consuming their furry friend. You seemed to imply that this form of dog ownership yielded the ultimate consumer reward by proving useful in life and death, like sheep or cows. I'll have the mischievous looking doll on the left, thanks.

4 hours ago, Spock said:

Time to reset your moral compass if you are happy with the suffering caused by this thoughtlessly executed round up and the cruelty it has inflicted on the dogs.

This method of population reduction is a classic knee jerk reaction. The ongoing dilemma needs a long term, proactive program.

LOS so special, such compassion and caring. Total lack of law enforcement to insure plenty of tea money leaves carnage on the roads to the tune of 75 dead and untold numbers injured and maimed each and every day. Dogs are thrown in pens to suffer a slow death. Meanwhile the fine folks from Issan send their young daughters to  Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok to seek fame and fortune as career prostitutes. Oh, I know, there is a reasonable explanation for all this. People deserve to make their own decisions about what happens to their bodies. But what about the dogs?

1 minute ago, evadgib said:

An annual tail or paw bounty starting on the first day of school summer holidays would rid Thailand of this problem in the first year and keep numbers down thereafter.

Image result for no dogs or cats sign

I  can  not agree outright.

But  if   it were  to   be also  applied  to   mosquito,  flea, ants,  flies, ticks, noisy drunkenfatbarstards,  noisy vehicles, fish  sauce, nuclear  weapons( nucular, for  the   ineducated),  Trump...........I  could  maybe  be  swayed. Maybe !

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

LOS so special, such compassion and caring. Total lack of law enforcement to insure plenty of tea money leaves carnage on the roads to the tune of 75 dead and untold numbers injured and maimed each and every day. Dogs are thrown in pens to suffer a slow death. Meanwhile the fine folks from Issan send their young daughters to  Pattaya, Phuket and Bangkok to seek fame and fortune as career prostitutes. Oh, I know, there is a reasonable explanation for all this. People deserve to make their own decisions about what happens to their bodies. But what about the dogs?

Your  generalization   is  obviously  derived from some  very personal negative  experience. In contrast  to  my  own  where I  have seen  the  majority  of  fine  Issan  people  attempt  to  provide  whatever   best  education for  their  children. The  only   "penned"  dogs  are  in  the  newly established commercial facilities   that are    primarily   designed for  income,  not  animal  rights. 

Law  enforcement  is  dependant  on  the  expectations  of   society   primarily. 

Dog  eat  dog also  prevails in  pack  areas. The  outcome  is  established   by competative necessity,  not animal  rights  as such.

But  feel  free  to  defend starved  diseased  dogs that harm themselves  as well  as  human society. You  have  the  "right".

Humans may  be the  most  ignorant  animal  given assumed  intelligence, but it  also  gives them greater choice.

Sorry folks..., this whole matter is 100% BS and the fault of humans.  I only get angrier when I see the savagery and stupidity in how dog populations are treated.  Call it anything you want..., these dogs are not at fault. 

Fine irresponsible owners aggressively for each transgression.  Make it hurt.  ban them from dog ownership without first showing both financial and compassionate responsibility.   When they get to the temple to drop the puppy off that the kids have "outgrown" (there's an irony), let the head monk step out and tell them about two core principles in Buddhism; Wisdom & Compassion.   

The piety here is as shallow as an empty and flattened can of mackerel.         

• Like 1

My wife and I have always considered our dogs part of the family and as such get treated with the best  food and care we can provide. The good times with them is priceless. Here they are being treated to a life time vacation. Sunning by the pool, afternoon walks on the beach, sunsets watching the kids surfing out back. That's why the call it a dogs life. I simply can't understand why the people here can't pull this together. A really sad commentary.

guys.jpg

obama3.jpg

P_20171225_182846.jpg

P_20180115_120851.jpg

P_20180425_103255.jpg

Sad.  This didn’t need to happen but the blame lies in the origin of the problem = Thai mentality.

The way locals think about dogs is its fine to leave them to stray and feed them scraps from time to time which is “jai boon” or merciful.

1. Do they want to keep them within their premises where they have to bathe and care for them, pick up their poo?  No

2. Do they want to register them, get tags and pay for vaccinations.  No

3. Would they allow the city to trap them, put them in dog pounds to either find owners who would adopt them and do #1 and 2 or put them down?  Hell No.

It’s basic common sense that animals kept in gated compounds are at less risk of coming into contact with rabid wild animals which are the source of the rabies virus staying alive.  Strays are and always were a high risk.  Just a natural epidemic waiting to happen.

Now the blame will be thrown at the officials trying to contain the problem half-assed like.

Humans have always been better at pointing the finger then self-reflection.

Edited by smileydude

On ‎11‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 7:15 PM, mommysboy said:

I'm not overly fond of dogs but like many there's no way I want to see them suffer like this.  But Thais have a sickly sentimental attitude towards strays. I live in one of the better housing estates, yet I can't go for a run in the evening because of the dogs.  It's really bad that they should face dog camp or lethal injection.

A housing estate without enough room for a little evening run can hardly be considered as one of the better housing estates...:coffee1:

BTW, really heartbreaking to see a dog in such a condition that is known to be man's best and most loyal friend - a relation that seems unfortunately not to be mutual ...

Edited by ttrd

23 hours ago, starky said:

Did you read the story? These aren't strays these are family owned dogs that were all dumped in a shelter because of the recent rabies scare nothing to do with strays or soi dogs they are all still out there.

But I'll bet most of these dogs were let free to roam the streets by the family who claims ownership if anything happens to the dog but not when the dog causes problems with others. A proper family owned pet would be behind a locked gate, vaccinated and only taken out on a lead and would not have been given up without a fight. So they are, de facto, soi dogs.

• Thanks 1

On 5/11/2018 at 7:15 PM, mommysboy said:

I'm not overly fond of dogs but like many there's no way I want to see them suffer like this.  But Thais have a sickly sentimental attitude towards strays. I live in one of the better housing estates, yet I can't go for a run in the evening because of the dogs.  It's really bad that they should face dog camp or lethal injection.

You mirror my sentiments and experiences. Although I was actually fond of dogs prior to coming to live in Thailand. life  here has made me less so.  I doubt the people will adopt the responsibility needed anytime soon.....

7 hours ago, Trouble said:

Sorry, it's the human owners who should be shot.  Would you turn your dog in or take it to a vet to be checked out? How many dog owner get their dogs fixed so they don't have puppies?, How many dog owners turn the puppies loose on the streets which then breed and become ownerless Soi dogs?  Humans ruin the natural balance of everything with which they come in contact.

Humans created the problem, yes. Now humans must end it. Best to humanely put these dogs down. My biggest fear that when the scare is over and forgotten Thais will get more puppies, not care for them properly, let them roam the streets and it'll happen all over again

• Like 2

On 5/11/2018 at 8:01 PM, Happy enough said:

a lot of those dogs are domesticated. and they end up in that dump even the healthy ones

i hope some thai's get enraged about this when they realize what's happened to their pets they were convinced to part with

and course parvo is gonna kill them all off if they don't separate them

I'd be ****** fuming

your idea of domesticated and thai idea of domesticated are not the same. most thai domesticated dogs are let to run free. only going home for feedings.. running in packs which we would call wild. domesticated is a loose term for thais

• Like 1

I remember my first trip to Thailand and experiencing the horror of seeing soi dogs with their open wounds, limps (hip dysplasia probably) and underfed bodies. As the owner of a beautiful, healthy domesticated pet(dog), I couldn't help but feel sorry for these creatures. They didn't come to me and I didn't offer them any affection. Back then, I was not aware of the many problems that I have subsequently learned about these dogs. But I still recall thinking that they would be better off being humanely euthanized than to live like this.

I have read every entry in this thread. I have to agree in MHO that the problem is so out of control that it would be better to euthanize all soi dogs in a coordinated and humane manner, and then start fresh with a system as some have proposed. That system: similar to Canada where we have zero non-owned dogs. License them, vaccinate them, maintain them behind locked gates and they are only allowed out when on a leash.

My girl (pictured here), sterilized from young and now 12 years old would approve! She loves her leash walks.

Charle on Day After Wedding.jpg

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, neeray said:

With an <deleted> statement like that, I'm sure that many members would be happy to see you bleed out (I won't say from where, but we all have an imagination).

Manage your animals or someone else will... 

Your choice 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, neeray said:

I remember my first trip to Thailand and experiencing the horror of seeing soi dogs with their open wounds, limps (hip dysplasia probably) and underfed bodies. As the owner of a beautiful, healthy domesticated pet(dog), I couldn't help but feel sorry for these creatures. They didn't come to me and I didn't offer them any affection. Back then, I was not aware of the many problems that I have subsequently learned about these dogs. But I still recall thinking that they would be better off being humanely euthanized than to live like this.

I have read every entry in this thread. I have to agree in MHO that the problem is so out of control that it would be better to euthanize all soi dogs in a coordinated and humane manner, and then start fresh with a system as some have proposed. That system: similar to Canada where we have zero non-owned dogs. License them, vaccinate them, maintain them behind locked gates and they are only allowed out when on a leash.

My girl (pictured here), sterilized from young and now 12 years old would approve! She loves her leash walks.

Charle on Day After Wedding.jpg

I think your comments are sick and insane.

Kill them all and start over??

Disgusting....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1