Harley Davidson moving to Thailand

Tony125

This is the kind of story that really irritates me.  Yes, I understand what HD is doing... They are setting up behind tariff barriers. 

Trump is right we need to tax imports into the US at the highest rate that countries tax US goods.  Now that would be equal and fair trade. Now, I am not talking about tariffs, because those are commodity specific. Further, tariffs punish the good guys as well as the bad.  I am taking about border adjustment taxes that mirror what you do to our products.

So if Thailand taxes US Bourbon and cigs at 40%, then everything Thailand sends to the US will face a 40% tax. Let's see how "fair" Thailand would think this is.

Edited by Watchful

I'm more curious about the taxes on things they may not make here

IE: I once brought in a svving set from Auss 

Had to go to BK Customs vvhere they bailed me up asking if it vvas plastic or steel

? Do they even make proper svving sets here - As far as I knovv they vveld them together in the park

PS: It's been knovvn for a vvhile that Harley vvas coming this vvay

Edited by BEVUP

I'm more curious about the taxes on things they may not make here

IE: I once brought in a svving set from Auss 
Had to go to BK Customs vvhere they bailed me up asking if it vvas plastic or steel

? Do they even make proper svving sets here - As far as I knovv they vveld them together in the park

PS: It's been knovvn for a vvhile that Harley vvas coming this vvay

Is the “w” key broken on your keyboard ?

This is the kind of story that really irritates me.  Yes, I understand what HD is doing... They are setting up behind tariff barriers. 

Trump is right we need to tax imports into the US at the highest rate that countries tax US goods.  Now that would be equal and fair trade. Now, I am not talking about tariffs, because those are commodity specific. Further, tariffs punish the good guys as well as the bad.  I am taking about border adjustment taxes that mirror what you do to our products.

So if Thailand taxes US Bourbon and cigs at 40%, then everything Thailand sends to the US will face a 40% tax. Let's see how "fair" Thailand would think this is.

But Thailand does not put high duties on products not produced in Thailand. How many HD are in a 787?

HD manufactured in Thailand will not be significantly cheaper than HD imported into Thailand, because of excise taxes.

A Camry manufactured & sold in Thailand has a smaller engine, and is more expensive than one built & sold in the US...

I did not read the link, but this is old news and as I understand it, the Thai assembly plant will serve a pretty broad market and develop market specific products for the region. They are not shipping bikes back to the US. This is a good move for HD.

If you’re ever in Milwaukee the HD museum is worth a visit...

23 hours ago, Watchful said:

Yes, I understand what HD is doing... They are setting up behind tariff barriers. 

They already manufacture in India but "automotive" is not in the Thai / India bilateral trade agreement. Triumphs are built here they are no cheaper here than they used to be. 

If the factory is in a "free trade" zone then everything is trade free until one tries to sell it in Thailand! 

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

But Thailand does not put high duties on products not produced in Thailand. How many HD are in a 787?

HD manufactured in Thailand will not be significantly cheaper than HD imported into Thailand, because of excise taxes.

A Camry manufactured & sold in Thailand has a smaller engine, and is more expensive than one built & sold in the US...

I did not read the link, but this is old news and as I understand it, the Thai assembly plant will serve a pretty broad market and develop market specific products for the region. They are not shipping bikes back to the US. This is a good move for HD.

If you’re ever in Milwaukee the HD museum is worth a visit...

Your argument is NOT consistent with the following statement from the article (which you admit you didn't read):

"Asia has been one of the company’s fastest-growing markets, but over the years it’s also been a market with steep tariffs on U.S.-made motorcycles." 

Everybody demands free access to the US market, but then protects their own via steep tariffs.  Just look at what Thailand does to US Bourbon and cigarettes.

I say look at the highest tariff applied to US products and apply that exact same percentage to everything without exception to exports to the US (naturally upon entry into the US). That will end the games.

Your argument is NOT consistent with the following statement from the article (which you admit you didn't read):

"Asia has been one of the company’s fastest-growing markets, but over the years it’s also been a market with steep tariffs on U.S.-made motorcycles." 

Everybody demands free access to the US market, but then protects their own via steep tariffs.  Just look at what Thailand does to US Bourbon and cigarettes.

I say look at the highest tariff applied to US products and apply that exact same percentage to everything without exception to exports to the US (naturally upon entry into the US). That will end the games.

How is my “argument” not consistent with what was said in the article?

Tariff and stuff is weird.

I tried to start an import business from Thailand to the USA about 20 years ago.  The USA tariff book was hundreds of pages.  Must have been 50 pages just on cups, plates and dishes.  I worked with DHL to get stuff through customs to my house.  Lady there was not so great, went out on vacation at the time.  At the end, I nailed all the details and she kinda apologized and asked me if  wanted a job.  That tariff book is maybe 500 pages or more long.