Top Cop: Protesters Face Charges if They March May 22

rooster59

Top Cop: Protesters Face Charges if They March May 22

group2-696x464.jpg

From left, an unidentified protest photographer, Rangsiman Rome, Nutta Mahattana and Sirawit Seritiwat at a January protest on the Skywalk at Pathumwan intersection in Bangkok.

BANGKOK — Police chief Pol. Gen. Chakthip Chaijinda warned Friday that anti-coup protesters would risk being prosecuted if they join a coup anniversary demonstration later this month.

The police chief said he doesn’t want to see protesters marching on May 22, the fourth anniversary of the military coup.

A protest leader said such threats would not deter protesters from coming out as they are no longer afraid of the military regime.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/05/12/top-cop-protesters-face-charges-if-they-march-may-22/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-05-13

1 minute ago, chainarong said:

Students have made all the changes in Thai, the people followed, Students and academic's have pulling power, the Junta right from the start has been afraid of students and now with social media things can be planned and surprises can happen...…………………………..:coffee1: 

I agree with you, Chainarong. I would say, though, that it is more the students than their lecturers who display real courage. Usually the Thai university lecturers just go along with autocracy (they don't want to lose their jobs). They are noway role-models of guts and principle.

I know one top university lecturer very well (I won't mention his name or university - but it is very, very high in Thailand) who was famous during the Thaksin era and was all over the media for speaking out against Thaksin's 'undemocratic' way of behaving. But what has that same lecturer now said against the much worse (in terms of non-democracy) junta? 

NOTHING! Not a word, not a peep. He is going along with it all. Pathetic.

Such people's principles are only principles as long as the side they approve of gets into power. Then all their 'principles' are thrown out of the window.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chainarong said:

Students have made all the changes in Thai, the people followed, Students and academic's have pulling power, the Junta right from the start has been afraid of students and now with social media things can be planned and surprises can happen...…………………………..:coffee1: 

We all know what you are talking about . I was simply pointing out  the support the military and police showed for Shutdown Bangkok,by not getting involved.. But when it comes to them it is no way can you demonstrate.

History shows the students have in the past had very much influence and probably will have again. Time will tell huh.

• Like 1

A pointless protest for a November general election. Only bringing it forward by 3 months. Why don't these students join a political party and start canvasing for votes instead.

Look to the recent general election in Malaysia for inspiration. Protests will only give the current government an excuse to delay the next election anyway.

Sent from my SM-A700FD using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1