One million baht dowry as Irish man marries Thai boyfriend in Nakhon Sawan

rooster59

Language is free expression, he can say queer if he so chooses, what are you going to do, scratch his eyes out? Jehova, Jehova, Jehova.

Anyone gay or not can say queer.  Whether it's a slur or not depends on context and/or tone of voice.

Saying Barry is taking a queer studies class not a slur.

Saying what you lookin' at you f-in queer? Slur.

Clear now?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nip said:

I'm not at all homophobic indeed my daughter is in a long term relationship with another woman and I have many gay friends but I do wonder at times where is all this going? My mother in law who died 20 years ago when there was only a handful of 'queers' in my country described homosexuality as a jaded pallet. My mother had a church mass offered up when a long lost uncle turned up at our house for Christmas dinner with his boyfriend? When I returned home after living abroad for 17 years I was nervous about coming out. How will my friends react when I tell them I'm straight?  Now I fear what was once considered a taboo then a novelty has somewhat become the norm and life is hard enough for a society and legal system that tries to regulate a male - female society without it being further watered down?  What next straight pride marches? Rome collapsed under such weight. I'm not inviting ridicule. It's just that gay men seem to be more educated, handsome, witty and attractive than us minority straight men. 

I think you are ever so slightly going over the top here. You mention your mother alot, that she doesn't approve of homosexuality. And now you are repeating your mothers words. So maybe your family has the homophobia gene in their dna. 

Nevermind, I shan't give you a straight bashing, you were born homophobic. What I suggest instead is that you look past the sex part, the kissing, holding hands, etc and see the otherside to love. You know, caring about someone more than anyone else. A partner, a special friend. We are living in the 21st Century now, we must accept change or development, evolution.

Hope you can see a positive side to the way some people choose to live their lives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Similar to the report last week of the foreigner paying 10 mil baht dowry to "marry" their Thai boyfriend, Thailand does not recognise same sex marriage so neither of these couples were actually married despite what ceremony they went through and what they paid the families. 

That having been said I hope they have a long and fulfilling relationship. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

I thought I had already posted but maybe the censors are sitting on the reply. My name is Alister Bredee. I am featured in this wildly inaccurate article.

No dowry of THB 1,000,000 was ever paid. That's ridiculous and it seems to vary in each publication I read. Secondly, we met in 2005 when Tha was 28. This article suggests an underage relationship which was never the case. Tha never worked for me and my age is inaccurate, too. It would be nice if reporters got stories right.

Congratulations on your marriage. 

Are you planning on staying up in Nakhon Sawan or just visiting the (now) inlaws on occasion? Without knowing the area it can be a bit boring, but not as bad as the nutters up in Kamphaeng Phet claim, so if you need any recommendations hit me up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

I am the man in this story. It is dangerously inaccurate. Tha is not 31, he is a lot older and I am not 66. The dowry quoted is far more than I paid The actual amount was 100,000. Somewhere it quotes THB 1,000,000 this is completely overblown. We met in 2005 when Tha was 28 and we have been together ever since. This article suggests an underage relationship.That has never been the case.

god bless

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Anyone gay or not can say queer.  Whether it's a slur or not depends on context and/or tone of voice.

Saying Barry is taking a queer studies class not a slur.

Saying what you lookin' at you f-in queer? Slur.

Clear now?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't see why insults should be something of importance to gays only, you're getting tribal about it. Insults are unnecessary forms of confrontation with regard to anybody but it happens, nobody can rise above their level of consciousness. Some are witty to make a point about the opposite side of the spectrum, some are merely crude which lowers the person making the insult, either way they spring from emotions and shouldn't be raised to the pedestal of PC. If you are a snowflake you retreat into your shell, if you are confrontational you retort back, if you are wise you ignore it, whatever, finger waving telling others what the correct use of language is is counterproductive.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

I am the man in this story. It is dangerously inaccurate. Tha is not 31, he is a lot older and I am not 66. The dowry quoted is far more than I paid The actual amount was 100,000. Somewhere it quotes THB 1,000,000 this is completely overblown. We met in 2005 when Tha was 28 and we have been together ever since. This article suggests an underage relationship.That has never been the case.

Congratulations on your wedding and wishing the two of you many years of happiness.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I think you are ever so slightly going over the top here. You mention your mother alot, that she doesn't approve of homosexuality. And now you are repeating your mothers words. So maybe your family has the homophobia gene in their dna. 

Nevermind, I shan't give you a straight bashing, you were born homophobic. What I suggest instead is that you look past the sex part, the kissing, holding hands, etc and see the otherside to love. You know, caring about someone more than anyone else. A partner, a special friend. We are living in the 21st Century now, we must accept change or development, evolution.

Hope you can see a positive side to the way some people choose to live their lives.

I would suggest you read my post again if in fact you read it at all. 

11 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Yes very positive and the money and 35 year age gap is mere coincidence!  haha do me a favor  

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

35 years older and RICH but that's irrelevant of course lol 

Money is an aphrodisiac for anybody, just look at the cuties rich old men marry the world over, gays wouldn't be any different, old boy's got a toy boy, love is a many splendoured thing, depending on the artistic value of the banknotes.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

Never let the truth get in the way etc.

Wishing you both happiness, love & understanding forever.

:smile:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Money is an aphrodisiac for anybody, just look at the cuties rich old men marry the world over, gays wouldn't be any different, old boy's got a toy boy, love is a many splendoured thing, depending on the artistic value of the banknotes.

That's true and my cynicism is directed at all of them not specifically gays but if they are happy with this 'arrangement' then why not?  but to call it 'love' is stretching it and it's amazing how many young, beautiful people love old rich guys haha

Edited by BobBKK
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

That's true and my cynicism is directed at all of them not specifically gays but if they are happy with this 'arrangement' then why not?  but to call it 'love' is stretching it and it's amazing how many young, beautiful people love old rich guys haha

Love, what is that anyway, mostly it translates into ownership and shared responsibilities, its an often misused word like 'hero' or 'forever'

but as the song goes, "If you can't have a dream, if you can't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true....."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Love, what is that anyway, mostly it translates into ownership and shared responsibilities, its an often misused word like 'hero' or 'forever'

but as the song goes, "If you can't have a dream, if you can't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true....."

Somewhat jaded first part of your sentence, Soal.

Will you explain that a little more?

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Somewhat jaded first part of your sentence, Soal.

Will you explain that a little more?

Think of the language used in love, "you're mine'', ''my wife'', ''my husband'', ''I want you'' and look at what happens emotionally and physically when marriages break up (50% do, love you forever), physical violence to murder, you beat or kill someone because you 'love' them? No, it's like watching your car get stolen, emotionally it's an ego trip, loss of possession and rejection, love is all about me,me,me, you may not think it is but if you think about it deeply a love relationship is all about self enhancement with some lust thrown in. Investigation has shown that the chemical process that takes place in the brain which facilitates 'love'  drops off in just under a year, sufficient time for a pregnancy, nature doesn't waste resources, after that it is a matter of shared responsibility to raise the offspring, 'my genes' again it's me, me, me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kamahele said:

I married mine in America. No dowry :-)

Wishing many years of happiness for the couple.

I've Married 2 Thai gals, out of four (in the USA)............ No Dowry............. I've kept a Mia Noi in Thailand 22 years (Pattaya)....... No Dowry.......

Been Married 4 times total including present Thai wife (in the USA).............. and I've bought quite a few houses and cars, however (plus one house in Sisaket/Kanthararak for a long term Kik).... mostly in Thailand........

I've always had an 'open door policy'.......... If it is good for you, here, then stay........... If not happy, the door is open...............

I have worked pretty hard to keep them happy......... and keep myself happy equally as much........... I think I've learned a bit along the way, by now to have a continuous 22 years with one Thai wife and a mia noi for same 22 years (Thai wife in the USA and mia noi in Bangkok/Pattaya)......... and still going strong with them.............

All I can say, now at 78 years old...... IT'S BEEN QUITE A RIDE...... And if I had it to do over again, I WOULDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.....

I'm still friends with #1 and #2.......... #1 was mother for my son and daughter before I got the 'snip' - then no more babies....   #3 was a Thai 'Patpong' bar girl...... didn't last long........... Present wife was a 'sweatshop worker' in the USA sewing 'garments' when we met (never worked bars) and a very wonderful lady....... The mia noi was a garment worker in Thailand and a very wonderful lady (never worked bars)............

After 22 years with the wife and mia noi..... they pretty much know my routine and choose to stay...........

AND I NEVER PAID A DOWRY..................

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Think of the language used in love, "you're mine'', ''my wife'', ''my husband'', ''I want you'' and look at what happens emotionally and physically when marriages break up (50% do, love you forever), physical violence to murder, you beat or kill someone because you 'love' them? No, it's like watching your car get stolen, emotionally it's an ego trip, loss of possession and rejection, love is all about me,me,me, you may not think it is but if you think about it deeply a love relationship is all about self enhancement with some lust thrown in. Investigation has shown that the chemical process that takes place in the brain which facilitates 'love'  drops off in just under a year, sufficient time for a pregnancy, nature doesn't waste resources, after that it is a matter of shared responsibility to raise the offspring, 'my genes' again it's me, me, me.

I think you are the 'closest' to 'right'.............. that I have seen...........

edited to correct spelling of 'closest'..............

Edited by sawadeeken
spelling
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Anyone who pays a dowry of a million baht, or more, is a super freak, and is messing things up for most ex-pats. Word gets around, and women (and men?) who would normally expect 100,000 baht, get strange ideas in their heads, about their value on the market. Not a healthy thing to do. This man is responsible for setting a bad precedent.

Smart pay zero.

3 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Investigation has shown that the chemical process that takes place in the brain which facilitates 'love'  drops off in just under a year, sufficient time for a pregnancy,

How many Thai girls do we know who are left to raise a baby alone.......... after that short period of time?????????? .... I know a lot...........

14 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I've Married 2 Thai gals, out of four (in the USA)............ No Dowry............. I've kept a Mia Noi in Thailand 22 years (Pattaya)....... No Dowry.......

Been Married 4 times total including present Thai wife (in the USA).............. and I've bought quite a few houses and cars, however (plus one house in Sisaket/Kanthararak for a long term Kik).... mostly in Thailand........

I've always had an 'open door policy'.......... If it is good for you, here, then stay........... If not happy, the door is open...............

I have worked pretty hard to keep them happy......... and keep myself happy equally as much........... I think I've learned a bit along the way, by now to have a continuous 22 years with one Thai wife and a mia noi for same 22 years (Thai wife in the USA and mia noi in Bangkok/Pattaya)......... and still going strong with them.............

All I can say, now at 78 years old...... IT'S BEEN QUITE A RIDE...... And if I had it to do over again, I WOULDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.....

I'm still friends with #1 and #2.......... #1 was mother for my son and daughter before I got the 'snip' - then no more babies....   #3 was a Thai 'Patpong' bar girl...... didn't last long........... Present wife was a 'sweatshop worker' in the USA sewing 'garments' when we met (never worked bars) and a very wonderful lady....... The mia noi was a garment worker in Thailand and a very wonderful lady (never worked bars)............

After 22 years with the wife and mia noi..... they pretty much know my routine and choose to stay...........

AND I NEVER PAID A DOWRY..................

Never worked bars? No need to mention it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Money and sex

• Like 1

18 hours ago, shamrock09 said:

I thought I had already posted but maybe the censors are sitting on the reply. My name is Alister Bredee. I am featured in this wildly inaccurate article.

No dowry of THB 1,000,000 was ever paid. That's ridiculous and it seems to vary in each publication I read. Secondly, we met in 2005 when Tha was 28. This article suggests an underage relationship which was never the case. Tha never worked for me and my age is inaccurate, too. It would be nice if reporters got stories right.

Journos rarely do and a lot of readers didn't see your comments.

• Confused 2

16 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

How many Thai girls do we know who are left to raise a baby alone.......... after that short period of time?????????? .... I know a lot...........

That's true, in that case, 'my genes' didn't play a big enough role and probably the 'love' chemicals weren't there in the first place but the lust was.

• Like 2