Licencing and Registering Dogs in Thailand

I have read a lot of advice from 'concerned' posters over the last few days about dogs, specifically, needing to be registered and licenced in Thailand. A lot of this advice coming from the rabies scare topics.

Simple question, how do you go about that?

I have had several dogs while I have been living here and as far as I am aware, the only place any of them have been recorded has been at the vets where they get their shots.

What have I been missing? I would want to do this for my animals if it is possible.

Haven't been on ThaiVisa for quite a while. My province situation is this. They are thinking about introducing a law where dogs must be tagged, but I think that is purely to show whether or not they have the rabies vaccine. The fine for not having the tag is minimal, however, a fake tag will result in imprisonment for a month or so. 

But in saying all of that, their is currently no one to enforce that law. The Vet Office would basically need a team to drive around looking for dogs, which isn't going to happen. The question has been asked who will enforce the law, no department has yet found an answer (Vet, Disease Control, Tessaban, Public Health, Police). 

I thought it might be difficult to answer, but nobody at all?
Its simple. There is no licences or registration for dogs...you can get them vaccinated and the vet will give you a green dog tag, voila dog has free rein to wonder the neighborhood,howl all night,chase and bite,scavenge the rubbish,gang up in packs,sleep in the road and cause accidents...when the victim wants something done...just say its not my dog, it's what dogs do or they where here before you so if you don't like it go home.

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

Haven't been on ThaiVisa for quite a while. My province situation is this. They are thinking about introducing a law where dogs must be tagged, but I think that is purely to show whether or not they have the rabies vaccine. The fine for not having the tag is minimal, however, a fake tag will result in imprisonment for a month or so. 

But in saying all of that, their is currently no one to enforce that law. The Vet Office would basically need a team to drive around looking for dogs, which isn't going to happen. The question has been asked who will enforce the law, no department has yet found an answer (Vet, Disease Control, Tessaban, Public Health, Police). 

Thanks for that. It was one of the rabies scare threads that got me asking the question in the first place. Here in Phitsanulok (as far as I am aware) none of the vets, certainly not the one we use, issue any tags or other identifying media after the dogs have had their rabies shots.

In fact on an earlier thread I said that I wasn't aware that our dogs actually got the rabies shots, but it was explained that in November it is added to their 'cocktails'. So they are covered, but no external indication of this. In addition I wonder how they would control those people who administer their own shots for their pets; how would that work?

I would only be concerned if they ever got out for some reason and started roaming. This has never happened but, you never know if that day ever comes.

8 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Thanks for that. It was one of the rabies scare threads that got me asking the question in the first place. Here in Phitsanulok (as far as I am aware) none of the vets, certainly not the one we use, issue any tags or other identifying media after the dogs have had their rabies shots.

In fact on an earlier thread I said that I wasn't aware that our dogs actually got the rabies shots, but it was explained that in November it is added to their 'cocktails'. So they are covered, but no external indication of this. In addition I wonder how they would control those people who administer their own shots for their pets; how would that work?

I would only be concerned if they ever got out for some reason and started roaming. This has never happened but, you never know if that day ever comes.

You sound like a very responsible dog owner.  I would stop worrying though, as people here do not register their dogs, most don't give them any inoculations, including anti rabies. I suspect a large percentage of people don't even take the dogs to the vets when they are sick either.

People just get a dog from someone they know has puppies, or buy one from the pet market.  That's it.  They are allowed to let the dogs roam freely, do what they like, bite people, cause accidents, kill other pets, get diseases and die.  Its just the culture here. 

No official is going to come knocking on your door demanding to see your dog licence, registration or vaccine records. 

You seem to be doing all the right things.. get the dogs vaccinated, de wormed, tread with preventative anti tick medication etc.  Keep them on your property.. ie, not letting them randomly roam about the streets.  You can't go much wrong if you do all that.

17 hours ago, chrisinth said:

I think the idea would be that dogs must be vaccinated either by private vets (who would be given tags), or by officials. The law seems to be in its very early stages so still has a lot of areas to sort out if it is ever going to be effective. At the moment seems likely will end up one of those laws in existence but never enforced. Letters have been sent out to all relevant officials regarding the proposed introduction of it, but with very few details (like who will enforce it). 

If the dogs get out, many more things to worry about than this (cars, fights etc). The proposed fine is only a few hundred baht anyway. 

13 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

If the dogs get out, many more things to worry about than this (cars, fights etc). The proposed fine is only a few hundred baht anyway.

Isn't that the truth...........................:smile:

Archived