ThaiSmile Airlines - no electronic devices allowed throughout whole flight

Nemises

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes agree, but my Qantas Club LIFE membership card is a lot easier to maintain. Come to think of it, there is no “maintenance” of it required, guess that’s why it’s called a life membership card.

Of all the Lounges I’ve visited, the Emirates FIRST CLASS lounge located in Dubai is my top pick. Maybe a new thread to discuss?

Anyway enough of Lounges/Cards and back to topic....Thanks for those who have assisted thus far with the OP. Am keen to hear from others who have flown with ThaiSmile, esp to KKC - in the last few weeks.

Wow, the “FIRST CLASS” lounge...

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

I haven’t flow domestic since the the new airport opened. I generally use D, but I’ve used most of them and think they’re all okay.

One nice thing about TG is how easy it is to maintain their gold card.

WOW!!! A TG “gold card”...

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:09 AM, KhunBENQ said:

After the latest battery incident at a KLM flight with safety landing in Phuket (smoke from the device) you can expect more restrictions to come.

The only 'restriction' that can come from that statement is;

No "battery powered devices allowed on the plane"

LeoTex

5 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

It depends if the flight is operated under FAA (US) or CAA (China) flight regulations. CAA regulations are widely used across Asia, and do not allow electronic devices in flight, no matter the type. I will never book a flight transiting China for this reason. If your flight was going to/from one of the countries that follows CAA regs, or is operated by an airline that follows CAA regs, there's your reason. Nothing to do with the flight attendant or pilot's preference.

Yorkshire Airlines.webm

I do enjoy a spat between luxury air travellers, we should have more of them.

It will make me happy when in economy with my knees up around my chin, to know

that the guys up front compare cards , lounges and canapes and don't just sneer 

at plebs like me, but hold  their fellow premium caste in contempt!!

It depends if the flight is operated under FAA (US) or CAA (China) flight regulations. CAA regulations are widely used across Asia, and do not allow electronic devices in flight, no matter the type. I will never book a flight transiting China for this reason. If your flight was going to/from one of the countries that follows CAA regs, or is operated by an airline that follows CAA regs, there's your reason. Nothing to do with the flight attendant or pilot's preference.

Many thanks for this advice. Good to know the reason.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:12 PM, fanjita said:

What has that got to do with flight mode?  Everyone's got a device whether it's on or off.  Sorry, but your post doesn't stack up.

To me it does!

16 hours ago, stevkob said:

There are fire extinguishers onboard so they would most likely be the ones that spray powder onto an electrical fire.

I hear the cheaper airlines are just going to open a window and throw them out.

A Lithium fire requires a special type of extinguisher. When we have lithium batteries catch fire offshore, the advice is to throw them over the side.

15 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

That's very interesting. maybe the CAA knows how totally unworkable it is to get any of their flying public to turn if off for t-o & l and flight mode elsewhere. Just ban them!

Sorted!

15 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

That happened to me on a flight on China Eastern from Shanghai to Bangkok./

I was reading my Noon E-Reader while taxing out to take off. The flight attendant came by and told me I had to turn it off.

After getting to cruse attitude I got it back out. The same attendant was walking down the aisle and said, "I told you before you can't have that on while in the plane.

First and last time flying China Eastern.

LeoTex

8 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Never been on Air India huh?

I have twice and have to say on the long sectors London Delhi it is was perfectly fine and of course 35" pitch seats at the back few rows of economy. Very comfortable

I have twice and have to say on the long sectors London Delhi it is was perfectly fine and of course 35" pitch seats at the back few rows of economy. Very comfortable

I’ve flown them a few times, 787 service BKK -DEL, I thought it was crap. Staff and food was okay, but the aircraft was filthy and the bathrooms were hideous.

Things were falling apart, the video screen would not stay up, the AC plug did not work.

I was amazed that relatively new aircraft could be in such terrible condition.

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I’ve flown them a few times, 787 service BKK -DEL, I thought it was crap. Staff and food was okay, but the aircraft was filthy and the bathrooms were hideous.

Things were falling apart, the video screen would not stay up, the AC plug did not work.

I was amazed that relatively new aircraft could be in such terrible condition.

Ah ok I was on the 777's two times I flew them. I havent though since 2013 (I think) so obviously equipment changed since then

Yes you do wonder what important maintenance is like when basic stuff is in such a bad state

Ah ok I was on the 777's two times I flew them. I havent though since 2013 (I think) so obviously equipment changed since then
Yes you do wonder what important maintenance is like when basic stuff is in such a bad state

I don’t worry about safety too much, as I think regardless of the airline, Boeing (or Airbus...) is supervising their maintenance.

That, and the fact that the pilot goes down with us. Once the aircraft are piloted from the ground, I’m done flying...

45 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Go on... tell us all about the 'perfectly fine' transit experience at Delhi.

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I don’t worry about safety too much, as I think regardless of the airline, Boeing (or Airbus...) is supervising their maintenance.

That, and the fact that the pilot goes down with us. Once the aircraft are piloted from the ground, I’m done flying...

Reminds me of country hopping from Sierra Leone to Lagos on a series of decrepit Soviet-era turboprops with various regional airlines. The rule was watch who's flying the plane. If there's at least one Russian or Ukrainian on the flight deck, get onboard. If it's two locals at the front of the bus, give up your seat and wait for the next plane.

24 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Go on... tell us all about the 'perfectly fine' transit experience at Delhi.

Delhi was excellent to be honest....  The new airport was open first time I flew them. Security was very strict and I am VERY happy with that. Apart from that the usual selection of new shops bars restaurants just another transit for me.

Certainly probably top 10 of the 28 different carriers I have flown London to Bangkok  (4 will be non stop obviously)

Worst by some distance was Uzbekistan and Tashkent. Bloody great craters in the concourses with just portable fencing around them lol

Biman probably 2nd worst. Debatable which is top because I have never flown Singapore and they consistently come out top at Changi

The new Doha terminal looked good in 2016 when last on Qatar but transit time was only 50 minutes so no chance to really look around

21 hours ago, masuk said:

I can never understand the rush to wait for the doors to open, as the checked luggage is not going to arrive any sooner.

With regard to the locker fire on the KLM flight, it was not made clear if the device was being charged from a power pack or not.   Better that it caught fire in the locker rather than in the hold where it would not be accessible during the flight.

Presumably, flight attendants will be given some training in what to do if a similar fire occurred, as water is the last thing that should be used on a lithium fire.

n the contrary the correct procedure in an phone fire is to keep pouring water on the phone and if possible submerge it in a bucket of water.  What you have to do is keep it cool enough to prevent Thermal Runaway

5 minutes ago, harrry said:

n the contrary the correct procedure in an phone fire is to keep pouring water on the phone and if possible submerge it in a bucket of water.  What you have to do is keep it cool enough to prevent Thermal Runaway

One HOPES to keep it cool enough to prevent thermal runaway... that's why despite having plenty of buckets and loads of water in and around the ship, we throw the fizzing lithiums in the oggin. Maybe aeroplanes of the future will have a "fizzing lithium ejection chute"... but probably only after a fizzing lithium melts the bucket in the galley, falls through the cabin floor, combusts in the baggage space, explosively depressurizes the cabin, blows out the doors...

Archived